[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] How to increase grayscale levels?

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (03/10/91)

[Thank you Alex M. & Peter K. for previous answers in this discussion]

    Background: I want to display some large 256 level greyscale
 video samples. The standard Amiga will output only 16 levels.

    So, I am trying to figure out the best way to increase the number of
 greyscale levels viewable on the (my) Amiga. So far the candidates are:

    1) Dithering
    2) GreyScale to HAM  [SHAM, SHAMM, Dynamic whatever]
    3) A colour board

    Are there any other options?

    Has anybody written an n-bit sample to dithered bitmap routine?

    Will HAM (and dynamic brethren) be any use?

    What greyscales do the popular 24 bit boards put out?
    (ie. DCTV, ColorBurst, HAM-E, A2140, Firecracker 24)
    -het

 "The ghost of electricity howls through the bones of her face"
                                                    - Visions of Johanna
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

Michael.Witbrock@CS.CMU.EDU (03/11/91)

The 2000 has a monochrome composite video output. The r, g and b values
are output as a weighted sum. If you can be bothered using this, it can
give you more than 16 grey levels. That's all I know.

micjhael

chris@kessner.denver.co.us (Chris Hanson) (03/12/91)

In article <5083@mindlink.UUCP> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>    Background: I want to display some large 256 level greyscale
> video samples. The standard Amiga will output only 16 levels.
>
>    So, I am trying to figure out the best way to increase the number of
> greyscale levels viewable on the (my) Amiga. So far the candidates are:
>
>    1) Dithering

  This should help some. I don't know if you'll get 256 grey-levels, but it's
worth a try. Will look very grainy.

>    2) GreyScale to HAM  [SHAM, SHAMM, Dynamic whatever]

  Won't help. HAM and SHAM (And the dynamic-doodads) all have the same number
of gun intensity levels as the normal display modes.

>    3) A colour board

Now this WILL get you somewhere.

>    What greyscales do the popular 24 bit boards put out?
>    (ie. DCTV, ColorBurst, HAM-E, A2140, Firecracker 24)
>    -het

   Well, my experience tells me that DCTV, ColorBusrt, A2410, and FireCracker,
all being 24-bit display boards, can give you 256 gun-intensities, and
therefore 256 greyscales. HAM-E is a palette-based display. It allows you to
display any 256 colors out of 16 million. It can also just as easily display
256 greyscales. It has the added advantage of color-cycling, if you should
so need it.

> "The ghost of electricity howls through the bones of her face"
>                                                    - Visions of Johanna

  Nice quote.

>      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
>      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
>               a186@mindlink.UUCP

   Chris - Xenon
#define chris Chris_Hanson|Lord_Xenon|Kelson_Haldane
I work, but you don't know who I work for. And this isn't their machine.
I'm chris@kessner.denver.co.us, xenon@tcr.UUCP, and chanson@isis.cs.du.edu

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/14/91)

>In article <5083@mindlink.UUCP> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor)
>writes:
>>    Background: I want to display some large 256 level greyscale
>> video samples. The standard Amiga will output only 16 levels.

Well, I've been using DCTV to digitize pictures and output Greyscale pictures.
(Greyscale you ask?) Yes, digitize in millions of glorious colours then just
slide the 'colour' slider all the way to the left. BOOM! A 24bit greyscale :)
I've use this and converted to 16 color hires-interlace for output on a
standard laser printer and got great results. (Most lasers can't really do
anything better than 16/32 greyscales you see)

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (03/16/91)

In <patrick_meloy.1895@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>,
            patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:
|>In article <5083@mindlink.UUCP> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey
|>Taylor) writes:
|>>    Background: I want to display some large 256 level greyscale
|>> video samples. The standard Amiga will output only 16 levels.
|
|Well, I've been using DCTV to digitize pictures and output Greyscale
|pictures. (Greyscale you ask?) Yes, digitize in millions of glorious
|colours then just slide the 'colour' slider all the way to the left.
|BOOM! A 24bit greyscale :) [...]

    Is there any way to load raw files [or 24bit IFFs] into the DCTV
 digitizer software?
    -het

    PS
    It's kind of funny to hold a conversation via the net when I
 could phone OutBound, but...soon everything will be connected. Non?

 "So you're the kind of vegetarian who eats only roses.
  Is that what you meant by the beautiful losers?"  -L.Cohen

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/17/91)

In article <5185@mindlink.UUCP> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>    Is there any way to load raw files [or 24bit IFFs] into the DCTV
> digitizer software?
>    -het
IFF24 loads right into DCTV's digitizer or paint programs. In fact any
standard (16/32/ehb/HAM/etc) Amiga picture file loads right in. It'll
even accept Impulse's RGB8 files from Silver or Imagine.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV