[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] De-Interlacing with a non-interlacing monitor

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (03/18/91)

I saw an ad in an issue of Byte magazine (December 1990, pp. 165-167) for
the non-interlaced monitor, Optiquest 2000. This sounds like the perfect
solution to the flixer problem on the Amiga, no need for a flixer
fixer. But can this monitor be used on the Amiga? Does anyone have any
idea how much it cost?

Can a VGA monitor be used with the Amiga? If so, can anyone recommend
a model? If I wasn't able to get or use the Optiquest 2000 monitor,
can a de-interlacer be used with a VGA monitor or do you need a
multi-sync monitor? What if I just bought a multi-sync monitor without
a flixer fixer, will this improve the display? Can anyone recommend a
good multi-sync monitor?

Now, if I need a flixer fixer, which is the best one? I haven't heard
much about Commodore's version, but I think it also has a display
enhancer to remove the visible space between scan lines (a plus)? What
about "Flicker Free Video"? Is it any good?

One more question, has anyone heard anymore about Commodore's new
graphics board? It is suppose to support 24-bit color and better
displays. Can anyone give me more information about it?

Thanks :)
Lyle

:) :( :> :< :] :[ ;) :| :? :} :{ :* :^) :^( :+ :-) :\ :/ :! :$ :' :@ :O :# :<>
         l  c  s  @  r  e  m  u  s  .  r  u  t  g  e  r  s  .  e  d  u

Everything stated or expressed in this post is strictly my opinion or viewpoint

iank@microsoft.UUCP (Ian KENNEDY) (03/21/91)

In article <Mar.17.12.24.54.1991.19460@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:

>I saw an ad in an issue of Byte magazine (December 1990, pp. 165-167) for
>the non-interlaced monitor, Optiquest 2000. This sounds like the perfect
>solution to the flixer problem on the Amiga, no need for a flixer
>fixer. But can this monitor be used on the Amiga? Does anyone have any
>idea how much it cost?

The Optiquest 200 is a standard multiscanning monitor like the NEC 3d.
It is called non-interlacing because it can handle a high-resolution
non-interlaced signal (1024x768) non interlaced. If you plug a standard
Amiga into it without a "flicker fixer" and switch to hires-interlaced
display the flicker will still be noticeable because the monitor will just
be emulating a NTSC display, like the 1084 monitor. You still need a
flicker fixer to remove the interlacing flicker.

>Can a VGA monitor be used with the Amiga? If so, can anyone recommend
>a model? If I wasn't able to get or use the Optiquest 2000 monitor,
>can a de-interlacer be used with a VGA monitor or do you need a
>multi-sync monitor? What if I just bought a multi-sync monitor without
>a flixer fixer, will this improve the display? Can anyone recommend a
>good multi-sync monitor?

A VGA monitor will not work with a standard Amiga. The Amiga outputs
NTSC video and a VGA monitor is not an NTSC display device. All current
de-interlacers work with VGA monitors just fine. The Optiquest 2000,
which is a multisync monitor works great with or without a flicker
fixer (That's why it's called a MULTISYNC, it can "sync up" to a variety of
video signals!), as long as you have the proper cable, of course.
Remember that you still need the flicker fixer to remove the flicker.

>Now, if I need a flixer fixer, which is the best one? I haven't heard
>much about Commodore's version, but I think it also has a display
>enhancer to remove the visible space between scan lines (a plus)? What
>about "Flicker Free Video"? Is it any good?

	 I think Commodore nakes the better of the "flicker fixers". It
passes through the new video modes provided by the Enhanced Chip Set.
"Flicker Free Video" is a kluge in IMHO. It fails to pass through
the new video modes provided by ECS so you either have to set up
some sort of switch box or swap cables every time you want to move between
an older display mode and one of the new ECS display modes. However, if
you don't want to use the new display modes the "Flicker Free Video" will
do fine. It has excellent display quality when mated with an Optiquest
monitor.

>One more question, has anyone heard anymore about Commodore's new
>graphics board? It is suppose to support 24-bit color and better
>displays. Can anyone give me more information about it?

The new display board form commodore is still vaporware as far as the
masses of users are concerned. It will support 256 colors on a 1024x1024
display with a few colors (I'm not sure how many) that are independent of
the display bitmap so you can do things like sprites and what-not. I could
be wrong on this however...

>Thanks :)
Yer Welcome! :)

>--

>         l  c  s  @  r  e  m  u  s  .  r  u  t  g  e  r  s  .  e  d  u
>
>Everything stated or expressed in this post is strictly my opinion or viewpoint

// I said it all! Honest! Trust me : My Employer does not share my
// Amiga Enthusiasm! All these words are my own ideas and don't
// reflect anything my Employer cares about one iota! Iank...