[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] RGBExchange and Targa module problems...

orb@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Randolph Turner) (03/16/91)

  I just got myself a Truevision (Targa) ICB board and have been going
through hell trying to find an Amiga program that would do a good
conversion of the images from this board.  The best (?) results were
obtained through the RGBExchange program which claims to directly support
the ICB format.  It does a great job on the image conversion....except
for the fact that the resulting picture is offset horizontally by 1/2
of the screen (right half on the left side and left half on the right
side).  Does anyone know of a cuase or cure for this one?  Or even a
better alternative to that program (no, ADPro does not support this
format correctly in it's Targa module).

Help?
Randy

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (03/19/91)

orb@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Randolph Turner) writes:

>   I just got myself a Truevision (Targa) ICB board and have been going
> through hell trying to find an Amiga program that would do a good
> conversion of the images from this board.  The best (?) results were
> obtained through the RGBExchange program which claims to directly support
> the ICB format.  It does a great job on the image conversion....except
> for the fact that the resulting picture is offset horizontally by 1/2
> of the screen (right half on the left side and left half on the right
> side).  Does anyone know of a cuase or cure for this one?  Or even a
> better alternative to that program (no, ADPro does not support this
> format correctly in it's Targa module).
>
> Help?
> Randy

Actually the ICB (Image Capture Board) is not a TARGA (Truevision
Advanced Raster Graphics Adapter).  However, the file formats are
identical except that the ICB is only 1/4 of the screen size of a
TARGA image.  The ICB is a 16 bit board with a resolution of 256x256
and any TARGA module should convert these images just fine if they
have followed the .TGA filespecs to the letter.

If you need more info on RGB exchange, you can send some mail to the
Author of the program (Troy Barlow) at the address:
"troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com".

I believe you may have an older version of his conversion software.
You may also be able to try Black Belt Systems "convert" program
which is PD.  I'm unsure if PBM Plus supports the TARGA/ICB.

PS: I imagine that Jerry@truevision.com might be of assistance here.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (03/21/91)

In article <BueVy2w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us> orb@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Randolph Turner) writes:
>  I just got myself a Truevision (Targa) ICB board and have been going
>through hell trying to find an Amiga program that would do a good

>better alternative to that program (no, ADPro does not support this
>format correctly in it's Targa module).

I am not familiar with the term ``ICB'' except in the sense of
Integrated Circuit Board and am therefore unfamiliar with what
differentiates this Targa format from others.

You say that ADPro's Targa support (available with the Pro
Conversion Pack) does not correctly support this format. I
would like your help in fixing it.

Here's what I need: (1) A document detailing the ``ICB''
format. (2) A sample file. (3) Your address where to send
the resulting module.

General Request: People, if there's a deficiency in TAD or
ADPro or any of our related modules, please let us know. How
else are we supposed to improve?

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry