[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DCTV, COLORBURST, TOASTER tech info wanted

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (03/09/91)

Greetings,

  After reading all the nice things people have had to say about the
Toaster, Colorburst, and DCTV, I would like to ask...

  Is any information given out in terms of writing applications for
the above neat-o items?  (ie.  The Colorburst supposedly has a developer's

If so, where can I get a hold of such info, and if possible how much will
it cost me.

The answers to the above questions will determine which one I will buy.
What good is something no one can write things for?  Especially the
small guy.

Ps.  I'll be using this hardware for my thesis so any quick response is much
     appreciated.  Tanx in advance.

Derek Lang<<<<<        ?
ACPS1072@RYERSON       ?  "There are two sides to every story...
Toronto, ON            ?   ...and inside and an outside."
Canada                 ?                         - Mr.X

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/13/91)

In article <91068.142839ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>  After reading all the nice things people have had to say about the
>Toaster, Colorburst, and DCTV, I would like to ask...
>
>  Is any information given out in terms of writing applications for
>the above neat-o items?  (ie.  The Colorburst supposedly has a developer's
>
>If so, where can I get a hold of such info, and if possible how much will
>it cost me.

As far as DCTV is concerned, it comes with utterly NO programming
information and in fact, Digital Creations (its maker) is not currently
even giving out the DCTV "display" file format... so folks like Perry
at ASDG cannot even write a "loader/saver" module for DCTV format
files for his Art Dept. Professional.  I know some very talented
people who would love to write their own DCTV programs but Digital's
reluctance to give out their file format is keeping them from doing so
for the time being.

disclaimer: I'm a DCTV owner. I think it's a real nifty device. I have
a ball using it. But I agree with those who would like to see Digital
release the file format so other developers could make use of it.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

amgreene@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Marc Greene) (03/14/91)

In article <7966@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>In article <91068.142839ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:
>>  After reading all the nice things people have had to say about the
>>Toaster, Colorburst, and DCTV, I would like to ask...
>>
>>  Is any information given out in terms of writing applications for
>>the above neat-o items?
>>
>As far as DCTV is concerned, it comes with utterly NO programming
>information and in fact, Digital Creations (its maker) is not currently
>even giving out the DCTV "display" file format.[]  I know some very talented
>people who would love to write their own DCTV programs but Digital's
>reluctance to give out their file format is keeping them from doing so
>for the time being.
>
>disclaimer: I'm a DCTV owner. I think it's a real nifty device. I have
>a ball using it. But I agree with those who would like to see Digital
>release the file format so other developers could make use of it.

Ditto for the Toaster.  I love it, and AREXX is OK for programming
``Do this effect, wait 3 seconds, trigger the character generator,''
but I can't do what I really want because NewTek isn't releasing
programmer's info.

-- Andrew <amgreene@mit.edu> | .sigs are for people with bandwidth to burn

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (03/14/91)

Colorburst developer source code can be found on MAST's BBS at
702-359-0132.

HAM-E information can be obtained from BlackBelt's BBS at 406-367-2227.

DCTV and NewTek are keeping their file formats secret. If you want
info on these too bad enough, disassemble their conversion software. You
can probably deduce their format readily from that.

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/14/91)

In article <13951@life.ai.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>Colorburst developer source code can be found on MAST's BBS at
>702-359-0132.
>
>HAM-E information can be obtained from BlackBelt's BBS at 406-367-2227.
>
>DCTV and NewTek are keeping their file formats secret. If you want
>info on these too bad enough, disassemble their conversion software. You
>can probably deduce their format readily from that.

Does anyone know why NewTek and DC are keeping their file formats
secret?!?  It makes no sense to me, unless they have something to
hide! :-)
Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

lcc727@unhd.unh.edu (Layton C Cote) (03/15/91)

Could someone please email me a description of these peripherals too? Unless
an indepth comparison is finally posted by someone for the net.  I am
particularly interested in the Firecracker vs. Colorburst, as I am
getting a Colorburst as soon as i see one.

Thank you...

-Layton
lcc727@unhd

jmarvin@.oracle.com (John W. Marvin) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.022053.6170@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:

>Does anyone know why NewTek and DC are keeping their file formats
>secret?!?  It makes no sense to me, unless they have something to
>hide! :-)
>Loren J. Rittle
>--
Yes.  If you make a file format public, you are stuck with it.
You can't change it w/o breaking all those other products.  I
belive NewTek & DC support IFF 24 (which, IMHO is fairly brain
dead, All the red zero bits for eight pixels in one byte!?!),
so they do support access to their images.

* John W. S. Marvin             * There are times when the wolves *
* Oracle Multimedia Development * are silent, and the moon is     *
* jmarvin@oracle.com            * howling...                      *

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (03/15/91)

Re: No file format info for conversions from DCTV box...

Hmm..I was under the assumption that it would save out 24-bit IFF files?
Am I mistaken?  If it saves 24-bit IFF's, then there is no need for the
internal DCTV format, no?

I was hoping to get DCTV as a Paintbox front-end to the Toaster since
ToasterPaint is next to worthless.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |       PC-Pursuitable: NJNBR
FastInet: bobl@bobsbox.rent.com           |       America Online: Graphics3d
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (03/15/91)

In <1991Mar14.183305.11387@unhd.unh.edu>, lcc727@unhd.unh.edu
                                                    (Layton C Cote) writes:
|Could someone please email me a description of these peripherals too?
|Unless an indepth comparison is finally posted by someone for the net.

   Okay here is a repost of a Richard Tillery doc from last December. Can
 anybody fill in some of the holes here?
---
Repost of <1990Dec7.194258.16221@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, by
                drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr)

> [...]
>anything is incorrect or you can fill in my blanks, let me know via e-mail
>(and I'll update this post) or the net so everyone will see.
>

>             Commodore Amiga Extended Color Board Comparisons
>             ------------------------------------------------
>

>                 Toaster    DCTV   ColorBurst  HAM-E    A2140   Firecracker 24
>                 -------    ----   ----------  -----    -----   --------------
>Vendor           (NewTek)  (Digital (M.A.S.T)  (Black (Commodore)  (Impulse)
>                          Creations)            Belt)
>
>                        1         1         2        3          4
>Highest Res.     768x480   736x480   768x560  384x480  1024x1024   1024x480
>                        1         1                  5        6
>Onscreen colors   16.7 M    16.7 M    16.7 M 256/256K    256+3      16.7 M
>
>Palette size      16.7 M    16.7 M    16.7 M   16.7 M    16.7 M     16.7 M
>                               7        8,9      7                     9
># of framebuffers   2         r        1        r          ?          1
>                       10
>Compatible Amigas 2x000      All       All      All    2x00/3x00   2x00/3x00
>
>NTSC/PAL           NTSC      NTSC      NTSC   NTSC/PAL     ?         NTSC
>                       11        11
>Output format     comp.     comp.      RGB      RGB        ?         RGB
>
>Overlay            Yes       No        Yes      No         ?         Yes
>Animation          No        Yes       Yes      Yes        ?         No
>On-board effects   Yes       No        Yes      No         ?         No
>Framegrabber       Yes       Yes       No       No         ?         No
>Live Video Effects Yes       No        No       No         ?         No
>
>Software included                                                      12
>   Paint           Yes       Yes       Yes      Yes        ?         No
>   Conversion      Yes       Yes       Yes      Yes        ?         Yes
>   Effect control  Yes       N/A       Yes      N/A        ?         N/A
>   3-D render      Yes       No        No       No         ?         No
>
>                               13        14
>Shipping           Yes       No        No       Yes        No        Yes
>

>Price             $1495     $495      $495     $399        ?        $1595
>

>NOTES:
>    Commodore's A2410 info is preliminary and is not complete or official.
>
>    1.  Subject to limitation of composite output resolutions and colors.
>    2.  768x480 in NTSC mode.
>    3.  Including "Magic Cookie" code line above image.
>    4.  Special monitor required for highest resolutions (above 800x600).
>    5.  Normal/Extended HAM modes.
>    6.  256 colors plus 3 overlay colors.
>    7.  Dependent on computer chip memory.
>    8.  Expandable from 1.5 to 8 megs of on-board memory.
>    9.  More frames in reduced resolutions/colors.
>   10.  Will fit into 3000 with a blowtorch (not included).
>   11.  Shipping to registered owners in January.
>   12.  Composite video limits the palette to around 1/4 to 1/2 million
>        colors and horizontal resolution to around 350 pixels.

  "Abstract words are ancient coins whose concrete images in the
    give and take of talk have worn away with use." -Julian Jaynes

      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

a148@mindlink.UUCP (E. John Love) (03/15/91)

I believe that DCTV images are saved in a compressed video format, which is not
the same as IFF24, and explains why the file sizes are smaller.  As far as I
know, you cannot load these compressed video format images directly into the
Toaster.  You'd probably have to re-capture them with the Toaster from DCTV's
output signal.  This is just speculation on my part tho...:)

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/15/91)

In article <8000@crash.cts.com>, Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin writes:

> Re: No file format info for conversions from DCTV box...
>
> Hmm..I was under the assumption that it would save out 24-bit IFF files?
> Am I mistaken?  If it saves 24-bit IFF's, then there is no need for the
> internal DCTV format, no?
>
> I was hoping to get DCTV as a Paintbox front-end to the Toaster since
> ToasterPaint is next to worthless.

The DCTV software can read and write 24Bit IFF perfectly.  We routinely use
DCTV paint to prepare buffers for our Toaster.  You will enjoy DCTV paint
much more than toaster paint, not to mention that it requires far less
overhead and gives you instant feedback.

DCTV also has the ability to store pictures in its own DCTV format which is
at this point proprietary.  The advantage to the DCTV format is that
AmigaDos thinks that the DCTV format is a 16 color hi-res overscan picture.
So once you save an IFF-24bit picture in DCTV format:

1.  It will be 75% smaller.
2.  You can view it with any normal IFF file viewer, even load into DPIII!
3.  You can create real-time 24-bit animations with the exact same speed
and overhead of a 16 color hi-res picture.

So we use DCTV both as our paint package for Toaster FrameStores and also
for real-time 24-bit animation, when single frame recording is not needed.

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/15/91)

In article <8000@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) writes:

>Re: No file format info for conversions from DCTV box...
>
>Hmm..I was under the assumption that it would save out 24-bit IFF files?
>Am I mistaken?  If it saves 24-bit IFF's, then there is no need for the
>internal DCTV format, no?
>
>I was hoping to get DCTV as a Paintbox front-end to the Toaster since
>ToasterPaint is next to worthless.

Yes, DCTV saves out in three formats: their own proprietary "display"
format, which creates pictures about the same size a 16 color hi-res
interlaced overscanned picture would be, their own "raw" format, about
three times the filesize (used for quick saving and loading until they
put an actual "undo" in the software"), and IFF24, producing the usual
HUGE files.  So it would do what you want. What people want to do is
to save out in DCTV's "display" format and then convert those via something
like ADPro to other formats, but that can't be done unless/until DC
releases the specs to that format. But IFF24 output from DCTV is fully
transportable like any one else's IFF24.

And you're right.. DCTV Paint is really nice :)

drew@cgou11.enet.dec.com (Steve Drew) (03/16/91)

In article <8000@crash.cts.com>, bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) writes:

>Hmm..I was under the assumption that it would save out 24-bit IFF files?
>Am I mistaken?  If it saves 24-bit IFF's, then there is no need for the
>internal DCTV format, no?

    It does read and write IFF24, RAW , and DCTVs own compresses format.

    The advantage of DCTVs format is that the file size is about 120K
    vs 800K for a large IFF24 pic.  Also there is no loss in quality when
    viewing back the compressed format or IFF24 bit format under DCTV.

    But the DCTV format loads much quicker being so much smaller in size.

Steve Drew: drew%cgou11.enet@decwrl.dec.com
Phone     : 403-295-HELP

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (03/17/91)

 If you save in DCTV format, IFF format, hires 4 or 3 bitplane you
 loose 'alot' of color info for true 24 bit.
 You save in DCTV format for DCTV display and in the other two in
 export/import on other machine/device/programe...
 DCTV is like ham is to 12bit display!
 I dont have any info but I play around with it.(At home, I have one
 and would NOT exange it for any other display device...)
 I still find incredible to get that close to TV quality with so
 low color info per individual color! and Ham use 6bit for 12bit
 DCTV 4bit for 24bit!
 I wonder what could DCTV could do with 6bit to 12bit!?..

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/18/91)

In article <5173@mindlink.UUCP> a148@mindlink.UUCP (E. John Love) writes:
>I believe that DCTV images are saved in a compressed video format,which is not
>the same as IFF24, and explains why the file sizes are smaller.  As far as I
>know, you cannot load these compressed video format images directly into the
>Toaster.  You'd probably have to re-capture them with the Toaster from DCTV's
>output signal.

DCTV saves in three basic formats: raw, display, and IFF24. Images saved in
IFF24 can be directly loaded into the Toaster.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (03/19/91)

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:

> And you're right.. DCTV Paint is really nice :)

It should be.  It seems that the DCTV paint interface is very close
to what you see on a Quantel Paintbox (you know, the one most Video
graphics artists use and the one all the suits are about).  In fact,
the little paint viewing/mixing window is exactly the same as the
Quantel mixing window.  I doubt Quantel is worried about DCTV..who
knows. <grin>

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

drew@cgou11.enet.dec.com (Steve Drew) writes:

> In article <8000@crash.cts.com>, bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, Sy
>
> >Hmm..I was under the assumption that it would save out 24-bit IFF files?
> >Am I mistaken?  If it saves 24-bit IFF's, then there is no need for the
> >internal DCTV format, no?
> >

>     It does read and write IFF24, RAW , and DCTVs own compresses format.
>
>     The advantage of DCTVs format is that the file size is about 120K
>     vs 800K for a large IFF24 pic.  Also there is no loss in quality when
>     viewing back the compressed format or IFF24 bit format under DCTV.
>
>     But the DCTV format loads much quicker being so much smaller in size.

I realized all of the above (but wasn't sure on what formats it
saved).  The original question that I was replying to asked about
conversions if I remember correctly.  I figure that your best bet is
to just convert from 24-bit IFF which is very easy to do at this
point and you don't need the DCTV format.  Once you convert your
24-bit IFF images, you will also have a nice small HAM or whatever
image.  BTW, I've saved several 24bit IFF images and they are not
that large.  300K is nothing.  Compared to TARGA and Toaster images
which run in the >750K range, I'd say the IFF 24bit format is quite
compact.

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar14.022053.6170@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
> In article <13951@life.ai.mit.edu> rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>>Colorburst developer source code can be found on MAST's BBS at
>>702-359-0132.
>>
>>HAM-E information can be obtained from BlackBelt's BBS at 406-367-2227.
>>
>>DCTV and NewTek are keeping their file formats secret. If you want
>>info on these too bad enough, disassemble their conversion software. You
>>can probably deduce their format readily from that.
>
> Does anyone know why NewTek and DC are keeping their file formats
> secret?!?  It makes no sense to me, unless they have something to

I have wondered about this as well.  I hope that they're just expanding
the IFF standard and not trying to create yet one more standard.

> hide! :-)
> Loren J. Rittle
> --
> ``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
>   the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at
>   the recent MacExpo.  Gee, you wouldn't think that an Apple Exec would be so
>   worried about one little Amiga device... Loren J. Rittle  l-rittle@uiuc.edu

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar14.183305.11387@unhd.unh.edu- lcc727@unhd.unh.edu (Layton C Cote) writes:
-Could someone please email me a description of these peripherals too? Unless
-an indepth comparison is finally posted by someone for the net.  I am
-particularly interested in the Firecracker vs. Colorburst, as I am
-getting a Colorburst as soon as i see one.
-
-Thank you...
-
--Layton
-lcc727@unhd

I'm especially interested in information about the FireCracker, can it
output a 30 kHz signal?

Tommy Petersson
tope@enea.se

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/21/91)

In article <18d46ceb.ARN0f13@cbmami.UUCP> jason@cbmami.UUCP writes:
>The DCTV software can read and write 24Bit IFF perfectly.  We routinely use
>DCTV paint to prepare buffers for our Toaster.
>So we use DCTV both as our paint package for Toaster FrameStores and also
>for real-time 24-bit animation, when single frame recording is not needed.

Precisely why I bought DCTV. They complement one another wonderfully.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) (03/21/91)

No, the Firecracker cannot output a 31kHz signal. It outputs a 15.75KHz signal
out of the RGB port.

Juan Trevino
Modern Media
tucker@tahoe.unr.edu

e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (E. John Love) (03/21/91)

Yes - shortly after posting that, I realized how wrong it was!  I stand
corrected - thanks!

DCTV sounds, in general, like a great product, and well worth the $850.00
Canadian it's retailing for around town here in Vancouver, BC.

e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca

mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/21/91)

Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>> Does anyone know why NewTek and DC are keeping their file formats
>> secret?!?  It makes no sense to me, unless they have something to hide.
>
>I have wondered about this as well.  I hope that they're just expanding
>the IFF standard and not trying to create yet one more standard.

Well as stated before, the Toaster does use standard IFF24 image format.
It also has its own Framestore format which is *specific* to the hardware.
NewTek has stated that they do plan to release portions of the Toaster
software library to enable developers to create third party software
for the Toaster. They do not have anything to hide and they are not trying
to create new standards.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/23/91)

In article <eNa3y3w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>BTW, I've saved several 24bit IFF images and they are not
>that large.  300K is nothing.  Compared to TARGA and Toaster images
>which run in the >750K range, I'd say the IFF 24bit format is quite
>compact.

However, 24bit IFF size varies greatly depending on image complexity.
I have created many 24bit IFFs that are over 850K. The Toaster Frame
format is however a constant size (about 710K) regardless of complexity.