[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Greyscales on Amiga

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (03/13/91)

In a message dated Tue 12 Mar 91 04:50, Harvey_taylor@mindlink.uucp (harvey
wrote:

 H>     Background: I want to display some large 256 level greyscale
 H>  video samples. The standard Amiga will output only 16 levels.

 H>     So, I am trying to figure out the best way to increase the number of
 H>  greyscale levels viewable on the (my) Amiga. So far the candidates
 H>  are:

 H>     1) Dithering
 H>     2) GreyScale to HAM  [SHAM, SHAMM, Dynamic whatever]
 H>     3) A colour board

A 24 bit colour card should be able to give you a true 256 grey scale
picture. Other than than, you best bet is dithering - HAM and Dynamic modes
don't alter the palette available, so still only have 16 greys to work with
in those modes.

The Art Department does a very nice job of converting 256 greyscale images to
16 greys with Floyd-Steinberg dithering. I daresay at hi-res interlace, the
results would be indistinguishable from real 256 grey once you get it into
video.

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (03/14/91)

In article <James_Hastings-Trew.2800@tptbbs.UUCP> James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) writes:
>In a message dated Tue 12 Mar 91 04:50, Harvey_taylor@mindlink.uucp (harvey
>wrote:
>

> H>     Background: I want to display some large 256 level greyscale
> H>  video samples. The standard Amiga will output only 16 levels.
>
> H>     So, I am trying to figure out the best way to increase the number of
> H>  greyscale levels viewable on the (my) Amiga. So far the candidates
> H>  are:
>
> H>     1) Dithering
> H>     2) GreyScale to HAM  [SHAM, SHAMM, Dynamic whatever]
> H>     3) A colour board
>

>A 24 bit colour card should be able to give you a true 256 grey scale
>picture. Other than than, you best bet is dithering - HAM and Dynamic modes
>don't alter the palette available, so still only have 16 greys to work with
>in those modes.
>
>The Art Department does a very nice job of converting 256 greyscale images to
>16 greys with Floyd-Steinberg dithering. I daresay at hi-res interlace, the
>results would be indistinguishable from real 256 grey once you get it into
>video.

I was was wondering if some software type could check out a theory of
mine. I was thinking that if one twiddled with the lsb's of the 3 guns
one could create more useable greyscales than 16,colors like
RGB=778,788,889,899, etc. One probably notice any chroma artifacts for
many of these shades. Anybody want to give it a whirl. I'd oblige, but I
haven't programmed anything since my undergraduate days(BSEE '77).

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (03/27/91)

In article <19847@cbmvax.commodore.com> raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) writes:
>mine. I was thinking that if one twiddled with the lsb's of the 3 guns
>one could create more useable greyscales than 16,colors like
>RGB=778,788,889,899, etc. One probably notice any chroma artifacts for
>many of these shades. Anybody want to give it a whirl. I'd oblige, but I
>haven't programmed anything since my undergraduate days(BSEE '77).

Bob, I tried this a few years ago with some Scanner s/w I wrote (I could bring
it in a nd show you). I wouldn't recommend it as a way of increasing the
grey sscales though - the tinting is fairly noticeable.

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@commodore.COM
                                              | or uunet!cbmvax!spence
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | "You know my methods. Apply
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | them" -- Sir Arthur Conan

chrisg@cbmvax.commodore.com (Chris Green) (03/27/91)

In article <20129@cbmvax.commodore.com> spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) writes:
>Bob, I tried this a few years ago with some Scanner s/w I wrote (I could bring
>it in a nd show you). I wouldn't recommend it as a way of increasing the
>grey sscales though - the tinting is fairly noticeable.

	It does work pretty well when you have a bit more color resolution, though. I've
got a great 256 grey-scale palette for the VGA (normally only 64 grey scales) that
uses this trick.