[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Todd Rundgren at Siggraph/JPL 3/12/91

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/14/91)

This seems like as good a group as any to post this :-)

Todd Rundgren gave a two hour speech/presentation at the monthly
meeting of the So. Calif. chapter of SIGGRAPH on 3/12/91.  The meeting
was held in an approx 300 seat auditorium at the Jet Propulsion Lab
in Pasadena, CA. (SIGGRAPH has nothing to do with JPL other than a
member works there and through this connection the hall was booked for
this evening's meeting).

The entire presntation given by Todd was taped and if and when an edit
of the taping is made available publically I shall post relevant information
on how to get it, however I was not involved in taping it and I have no
information on getting a tape right now.

Rundgren first had his "Change Myself" 4 minute music video shown on
a large projection screen with a good sound system to rousing applause.
(If you haven't seen it, it has been accepted by and is playing occasionally
on the national "adult rock" cable TV music network "VH-1")

He then went on for about 90 minutes to describe in great detail the
process of creating the video, using ten Video Toaster equipped
Amiga 2500/30s (and MANy large hard drives) over the course of five
weeks.

Todd Rundgren is a self-professed computer literate programmer and
hacker and music writer and producer.  However he ran into inumerable
problems during the production of his LightWave 3D frames (over 7200
in all) for Change Myself and had some very unkind words to say about
the Amiga, its operating system, hard drive support, networking
(specifically lack of, according to him) and support he directly didn't
get from Commodore.

It was my impression that he had perhaps bit off more than he could
chew by himself and that iif he had known or had hired some Amiga-
literate professionals who knew about such things, his networking and
hard drive problems would hvae been less of a burden to him. He
did work directly with Allen Hastings many times to de-bug the
Lightwave 3D software and have modifications made to it since no one
had quite put it through this extensive a "test" before.

He claimed to have tried every existing and available 3D object
modeller on the Amiga and some random comments I remember from him
went something along the lines of "Caligari - great interface, very
professional, useless output"... "Forms in flight - horrible interface
and hard to convert its object output but liked the way it used
splines instead of triangles"... "Imagine - many of the objects in
the video were made with its modeller"... "other objects were custom
made by [forgot the guy's name] I hired and still others were
purchased."

(Parenthetically, if you have seen "Change Myself", check out the scene
near the end with the rotating Aladdin's Lamp. That lamp was modelled
about a year ago by Louis Markoya and was sold along with other
Markoya objects on the "Woodland" objects disk for Turbo Silver, via
Impulse, and later, in a separate package under Antic's label.)

All in all it was an interesting evening despite Todd's apparent and
verbose dislike of Amigas.  Maybe he'll change his mind someday.
By the way, "Change Myself" was produced at a cost of around $100,000.
He originally wanted an animated-only video but Warner Bros., his record
label, insisted that he appear in it, singing the song. Guess record
companies insist on this factor in order to promote an artist with a
video. So he took an S-VHS camera and himself into a dark room at his
house and photographed himself eight times singing the song. The
frames from the camera were then digitized and mapped, in LightWave,
onto the tumbling,rotating, and morphing 3D objects.  If you watch the
video VERY closely you'll notice that the animation is moving at 30fps
while the singing Todd face is doubled up from 15fps, achieving the
kind of effect that a lot of tv and video producers are after these
days.

Still in all, when, after his presentation, he was asked by a member
of the audience something to the effect of "If the Amiga was so
difficult to use, why didn't you use some other platform" his answer
was something to the effect that this same production could not have
been created on any other platform for less than ten times what it
cost to do it on Amigas with Toasters.

lemiller@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Lynne Miller) (03/15/91)

in the same vein, but not quite... does anyone know what sort of computer
system and software brain eno used to produce the cover art to the cd
he did recently with john cale? looking closely at it, it is a wonderful
take off on the mandelbrot set, and i am very curious about it.

-lynne

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/15/91)

In article <7989@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>So he took an S-VHS camera and himself into a dark room at his
>house and photographed himself eight times singing the song. The
>frames from the camera were then digitized and mapped, in LightWave,
>onto the tumbling,rotating, and morphing 3D objects.  If you watch the
>video VERY closely you'll notice that the animation is moving at 30fps
>while the singing Todd face is doubled up from 15fps.

So are you saying that there are only 8 different frames of Todd singing
or that he made 8 complete videos of himself singing? If he made complete
videos and didn't just capture single frames, do you know how he digitized
the image sequences from the videos which were to be mapped into Lightwave?
The method that comes to mind to me would be to play back the video on
a good industrial or better VCR capable of good quality single frame playback
and frame grab the images one at a time with the Toaster. This is very
tedious though. Also, what did he do to sync the rendered images to the music?
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

jlange@oracle.com (Jim Lange) (03/15/91)

In article <61813@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:

   In article <7989@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
   >So he took an S-VHS camera and himself into a dark room at his
   >house and photographed himself eight times singing the song. The
   >frames from the camera were then digitized and mapped, in LightWave,
   >onto the tumbling,rotating, and morphing 3D objects.  If you watch the
   >video VERY closely you'll notice that the animation is moving at 30fps
   >while the singing Todd face is doubled up from 15fps.

   So are you saying that there are only 8 different frames of Todd singing
   or that he made 8 complete videos of himself singing? If he made complete
   videos and didn't just capture single frames, do you know how he digitized
   the image sequences from the videos which were to be mapped into Lightwave?
   The method that comes to mind to me would be to play back the video on
   a good industrial or better VCR capable of good quality single frame
   playback and frame grab the images one at a time with the Toaster. This is
   very tedious though. Also, what did he do to sync the rendered images to
   the music?

According to Allen Hastings (author of Lightwave), who showed and discussed
the video at the last FAUG meeting, Todd transferred the video to a
videodisk with a computer interface so he could access the frames
accurately.  Then he wrote an Arexx program to display every other frame
and trigger the toaster to grab the frame and save it as a numbered file
(is this guy multitalented, or what?).  Then during rendering, the correct
frame number was pulled in and mapped to an object insuring proper
syncronization.

The Amiga continues to amaze me--if I had not been told that this video was
created using the Amiga + Toaster, I would not have believed it.  Even
Allen said, "I think I know how he did most of the effects."

Jim Lange
Oracle Corporation

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/15/91)

In article <61813@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>In article <7989@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>>So he took an S-VHS camera and himself into a dark room at his
>>house and photographed himself eight times singing the song. The
>>frames from the camera were then digitized and mapped, in LightWave,
>>onto the tumbling,rotating, and morphing 3D objects.  If you watch the
>>video VERY closely you'll notice that the animation is moving at 30fps
>>while the singing Todd face is doubled up from 15fps.
>
>So are you saying that there are only 8 different frames of Todd singing
>or that he made 8 complete videos of himself singing? If he made complete
>videos and didn't just capture single frames, do you know how he digitized
>the image sequences from the videos which were to be mapped into Lightwave?
>The method that comes to mind to me would be to play back the video on
>a good industrial or better VCR capable of good quality single frame playback
>and frame grab the images one at a time with the Toaster. This is very
>tedious though. Also, what did he do to sync the rendered images to the music?

Yes, he taped himself singing the song 8 separate times. Sorry for my
my cumbersome wording in my original post. He framegrabbed his image from
the S-VHS tape with the Toaster's software. Syncing the rendered images
to the music was another problem he encountered towards the end of the
process... he admitted he hadn't given it a lot of thought beforehand
and was quite lucky that it came out so perfectly synced since he hadn't
rendered any extra or spare Lightwave 3D frames.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/16/91)

>In article <7989@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>>So he took an S-VHS camera and himself into a dark room at his
>>house and photographed himself eight times singing the song.

mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>So are you saying that there are only 8 different frames of Todd singing
>or that he made 8 complete videos of himself singing?
>If he made complete videos and didn't just capture single frames, do
>you know how he digitized the image sequences from the videos which
>were to be mapped into Lightwave?

Well I got the answer to this from NewTek about an hour after I posted the
question, so I thought I would follow it up for anyone interested....
Todd recorded the entire animation using the new Sony recordable video
disk unit (I think its something like LV5000) which lists for about $20K.
This unit allows flawless single frame record and playback and has composite,
component, and RGB video inputs. It is spectacular! Anyway, to digitize
himself, he recorded himself singing on the Sony and then wrote an ARexx
script to control the Sony and the Toaster. The Sony would bring up each
frame one at a time and the Toaster would grab them and store them off to
the hard disk.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%

baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) (03/22/91)

In article <8026@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>In article <61813@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>>In article <7989@crash.cts.com> hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>>>So he took an S-VHS camera and himself into a dark room at his
>>>house and photographed himself eight times singing the song. The
>>>frames from the camera were then digitized and mapped, in LightWave,
>>The method that comes to mind to me would be to play back the video on
>>a good industrial or better VCR capable of good quality single frame playback
>>and frame grab the images one at a time with the Toaster. This is very
>>tedious though.

> He framegrabbed his image from
>the S-VHS tape with the Toaster's software.
>Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
>"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

I don't think he digitized direct from the S-VHS tape.  If I understood
Allen Hasting's descripion (on a PLink conference), Todd recorded video
of him singing on S-VHS, then transfered that to his LaserDisc recorder.
He then hooked a cable from his Amiga to the LD player, and ran a routine
that advanced the disc by 1 frame (or maybe 2), and captured it in the
Toaster's buffer.  You could set up the whole process with AmigaVision
and AREXX.  But, I do believe that the laserdisc recorder/player played
an integral role in this process.  Otherwise is would have been VERY
difficult to automate it.  Had he done the process by hand, he would
likely have ended up in a room with rubber wallpaper :-).

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (03/23/91)

Does anyone have the details on the laserdisc recorder that Rundgren used
for his video?  I would appreciate any information anyone has on using a
laserdisc machine for recording video.  Wasn't there a place called
Pixel Planet or something like that selling a machine for use with the
Amiga?  Laserdisc seems like a better way to go for a number of reasons,
except perhaps that recording is relatively new.  Anyone have some direct
experience they could share?

Ned Schultz
nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/28/91)

In article <27eb7075.629b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) writes:
>Does anyone have the details on the laserdisc recorder that Rundgren used
>for his video?

I was told it was a Sony unit which must be the LVR-5000A / LVS-5000A system.
It consists of two components, a video disk recorder/palyer and a signal
processor. Each goes for about $10K and a single processor can be interfaced
with up to 10 recorder/palyers. A single disk can record 24 minutes of
contiuous video and audio or 43,500 NTSC frames per side. There is a PAL
version which is the 6000 and an optional board for the 5000 which allows PAL
record and playback. Here is a quick feature list:

RS-232 port for computer control
0.5 second random access time
Built in TBC
PCM audio with 88dB dynamic range
Noiseless playback at speeds from 1/255 to 3x normal in forward and reverse
Composite, component (Y, R-Y, B-Y), and RGB inputs
Composite, Y/C, component (Y, R-Y, B-Y), and RGB outputs
4.5MHz component color bandwith
6.7MHz bandwith in black and white mode
48 dB signal to noise
Can genlock playback to VBS or SYNC input
Uses 12" CAV mode laser disk

Anyway, the output is VERY nice and vastly superior to the older video disk
recorders like the 8" Panasonic. Believe it or not, none of the literature
I have gives an address or phone number to contact and I don't have the card
for my rep handy. If I had the capital available, this is the video disk
recorder I would purchase.

>Wasn't there a place called Pixel Planet or something like that selling
a machine for use with the Amiga?

Sounds familiar. I am almost certain they were selling the older 8"
Panasonic units refurbished for around $5K.

>Laserdisc seems like a better way to go for a number of reasons,
>except perhaps that recording is relatively new.  Anyone have some direct
>experience they could share?

It is much simpler but generally more expensive. I have seen the output
from a number of units but I have no direct experience yet recording.
However, I am rendering as we speak and will be recording the frames to
a Teac video disk recorder next week using Lightwave with the Toaster.
If your interested, I'll let ya know how it goes.