[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Nec 4D

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/25/91)

In article <> podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>Hey folks,

Hi.

>is a NEC 4D useable with an Amiga with the display enhancer

Yes -- I'm using it as I type, in fact.

>and can it be used with the ECS Denise?

In productivity mode, of course, not in native NTSC modes.

>Can it be used with the A2410 U'Lowell 24-bit graphics board?

Lord, we sure hope so, because I figure on buying one as soon as I can "use"
it...

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (03/25/91)

Is the NEC 4D not a true multi-sync monitor?  The NEC 3D has no problem with
normal NTSC signal, why does the 4D not have this capability.  If it doesn't,
you might be hard pressed getting the Lowell board to work with it (the
preliminary info I've seen indicates that board outputs the same frequency
signal as the standard Amiga - as does the Firecracker and the ColorBurst
boards - the Harlequin has a non-interlaced mode).

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

mueller@handel.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.010042.18142@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>Is the NEC 4D not a true multi-sync monitor?  The NEC 3D has no problem with
>normal NTSC signal, why does the 4D not have this capability.  If it doesn't,
>you might be hard pressed getting the Lowell board to work with it (the
>preliminary info I've seen indicates that board outputs the same frequency
>signal as the standard Amiga - as does the Firecracker and the ColorBurst
>boards - the Harlequin has a non-interlaced mode).

The term "multi-sync" unfortunately has no well-defined meaning as far as
what scan rates the monitor supports.  All it means is that the monitor
supports more than a single scan rate.  The 3D supports ~15-36? khz, while
the 4D supports something on the order of 25?-60?? khz (sorry, don't have
the figures handy).  So the 4D doesn't support NTSC (15 khz) rates (right?).

From what I've heard about the A2410 Lowell board, it's horizontal freq.
output is programmable, and can definitely go into the range supported by
the NEC 4D.  What I'd like to know is the exact range that can be generated
by the board:  can it go up to 60 khz for a 1000 line display?

The A2410 sounds like a very exciting product.  Unfortunately, it also
sounds like a very expensive one (as far as hobbyists are concerned,
anyhow; it'll probably be fairly cheap from the professional's point of
view).

A couple of questions for the net:

I'm interested in the A2024 monitor.  I've heard that in addition to
its hires display of 1008x800, it can also act as a regular (grayscale)
monitor for the other (standard) video modes.  Is this true?  And is
this monitor available yet, or is a date set?  What do users of it
think about the refresh rate in hires?  How does text scrolling look?

Also, what 15-31 (or greater) multiscan monitors definitely support
interlaced video well?  I tried out a Packard-Bell (Samsung) monitor
but it displayed the odd and even fields on top of each other with
space between them.  What experiences do others out there have?

-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/26/91)

mueller@handel.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

>Also, what 15-31 (or greater) multiscan monitors definitely support
>interlaced video well?  I tried out a Packard-Bell (Samsung) monitor
>but it displayed the odd and even fields on top of each other with
>space between them.  What experiences do others out there have?

The Sony CPD-1302 works with interlace. The old NEC Multisync II
(JCP1401-P3A, or something like that) does not, it behaves exactly like
the Packard-Bell you mention. I believe the NEC 3D does work with
interlace, but I haven't seen it myself.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar25.205429.8759@javelin.es.com>, Blaine Gardner writes:

> The Sony CPD-1302 works with interlace. The old NEC Multisync II
> (JCP1401-P3A, or something like that) does not, it behaves exactly like
> the Packard-Bell you mention.

That might be true for your Nec MS II... My Nec MS worked (yep, in
any configuration up to A3000)
-----
Wolf Faust    UUCP:cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: (+49)69 5486556         FIDO: 2:243/43.5

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (03/27/91)

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>mueller@handel.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

>>Also, what 15-31 (or greater) multiscan monitors definitely support
>>interlaced video well?  I tried out a Packard-Bell (Samsung) monitor
>>but it displayed the odd and even fields on top of each other with
>>space between them.  What experiences do others out there have?

>The Sony CPD-1302 works with interlace. The old NEC Multisync II
Correct.

>(JCP1401-P3A, or something like that) does not, it behaves exactly like

but not one field on top of aonther, like 2 halfs, it just has high distortion
and flickering in the 15.75kHz interlaced mode since it's the lower bound
of the range. I'm using one now as I type, but in deinterlaced mode :-)

>the Packard-Bell you mention. I believe the NEC 3D does work with
>interlace, but I haven't seen it myself.
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne
>DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g
>                        305 miles to go....

Mitsubishi 1381A works also 15kHz interlaced. Check the manual for the
horizontal sync/scan freq. if it goes down to 15kHz, and also check if it says
it supports interlace. vertical freq. usually is compatible (50 - 60 Hz).

However, I've still not found a monitor to buy which has perfect screen edge
and corners, in the Amiga overscan signal.

good luck,
David

tinyguy@cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar27.102945.545@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:

>Mitsubishi 1381A works also 15kHz interlaced. Check the manual for the
>horizontal sync/scan freq. if it goes down to 15kHz, and also check if it says
>it supports interlace. vertical freq. usually is compatible (50 - 60 Hz).
>
>However, I've still not found a monitor to buy which has perfect screen edge
>and corners, in the Amiga overscan signal.
>
>good luck,
>David

Strangely enough, my DiamondScan (Mit. 1381A) doesn't seem to have any
black border around it... I extended as much as possible, and it just
managed to fill the whole screen. Infact, it's perfect since when I open
an overscan screen, it fills almost the whole screen. On WB screen, I don't
see any black borders, only the blue background... :-)

-TG

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/28/91)

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:
>blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>mueller@handel.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

>>>Also, what 15-31 (or greater) multiscan monitors definitely support
>>>interlaced video well?  I tried out a Packard-Bell (Samsung) monitor
>>>but it displayed the odd and even fields on top of each other with
>>>space between them.  What experiences do others out there have?

>>The Sony CPD-1302 works with interlace. The old NEC Multisync II
>>(JCP1401-P3A, or something like that) does not, it behaves exactly like

>but not one field on top of aonther, like 2 halfs, it just has high distortion
>and flickering in the 15.75kHz interlaced mode since it's the lower bound
>of the range. I'm using one now as I type, but in deinterlaced mode :-)

There may be some difference between our two NECs, but mine does indeed
display both fields on top of each other. Interlace is completely
unusable on it. So I "fixed" it by throwing good money after bad, and
bought a flickerFixer.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne
DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g
                        289 miles to go....

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (03/30/91)

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>There may be some difference between our two NECs, but mine does indeed
>display both fields on top of each other. Interlace is completely
>unusable on it. So I "fixed" it by throwing good money after bad, and
>bought a flickerFixer.
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne
>DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g
>                        289 miles to go....

I think I might have misunderstood. rather than what I thought: yours is

top half
bottom half : each looks same, one odd field, one even field.

on top of each others" means (now I think) position of odd field and position
of even field makes the lines overlapping rather than "interlacing" them.

One thing agreed: it's unusable in 15kHz hor.

David