[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Big ray tracings

Ken_Cooper@mindlink.UUCP (Ken Cooper) (04/01/91)

Caligari Broadcast has a range from 2x2 up to 8192x8192.

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (04/01/91)

Hi, I 've been using Turbo Silver and various other popular ray tracers
for some time now and was wondering is there a ray tracer available
for the Amiga that will allow you tocreate images of any resolution
(stored on disk and not necessarily visible on the screen all at once)?

Can any of the packages like Imagine, Journeyman or Caligari do this?

Thanks.

Jason Leigh
jal@cs.wayne.edu
--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com (Raymond S. Brand) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.133033.4977@cs.wayne.edu>, jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:

> Hi, I 've been using Turbo Silver and various other popular ray tracers
> for some time now and was wondering is there a ray tracer available
> for the Amiga that will allow you tocreate images of any resolution
> (stored on disk and not necessarily visible on the screen all at once)?
>
> Can any of the packages like Imagine, Journeyman or Caligari do this?

Any of the one available in source form will.
	RayShade[34]
	MTV
	MTV2
	QRT1.5
	DKBtrace2.0
	DBWrender1.0
	RPItrace[12]
	Vort[12].0
	etc...

					rsbx

> Jason Leigh
> jal@cs.wayne.edu

  Raymond S. Brand			rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com
  Commodore-Amiga Engineering		...!uunet!cbmvax!rsbx
  1200 Wilson Drive			(215)-431-9100
  West Chester PA 19380			"Looking"

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) (04/02/91)

Yes..Imagine can create images of any resolution..save to disk..

umstobb1@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Colin Stobbe) (04/02/91)

Hello,
     Imagine allows you to create images up to 8000x8000.

          Colin Stobbe

baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr1.133033.4977@cs.wayne.edu>
jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
> >Hi, I 've been using
Turbo Silver and various other popular ray tracers
|for some time now and was wondering is there a ray tracer available
|for the Amiga that will allow you tocreate images of any resolution
|(stored on disk and not necessarily visible on the screen all at once)?
| >Can any of the packages like Imagine, Journeyman or Caligari do this?
| >Thanks.  >
|Jason Leigh >jal@cs.wayne.edu >-- >:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^)

Journeyman can.  The only limit to resolution is memory, and the time you
are willing to wait for a render.  We are doing our film in 704 x 480 and
24 bit.  If you are rendering for 35mm film, you'd render between
2000 and 3000 lines.  Also remember that you can get away with lower
resolution if you have good anti-aliasing and lots of
motion.  You don't need as much detail
in animation as you do with stills. They're different animals.
--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (04/04/91)

> > Hi, I 've been using Turbo Silver and various other popular ray tracers
> > for some time now and was wondering is there a ray tracer available
> > for the Amiga that will allow you tocreate images of any resolution

> Any of the one available in source form will.
	> QRT1.5

Actually, you don't need the QRT source code to compute large
images.  In version 1.5 I put command line switches to set
arbitrary resolutions.  I've used it for images up to 1280 by
1024.  Also, the DEFAULTS section permits image resolution to be
encoded in the input file, with the command line arguments taking
precidence of the DEFAULTS section.

  - steve "that was a former life" koren

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (04/04/91)

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:

>Hi, I 've been using Turbo Silver and various other popular ray tracers
>for some time now and was wondering is there a ray tracer available
>for the Amiga that will allow you tocreate images of any resolution
>(stored on disk and not necessarily visible on the screen all at once)?

>Can any of the packages like Imagine, Journeyman or Caligari do this?

Can't speak for the other two, but Imagine apparently will do 8000x8000.
I, myself have only gone as high as 1500x1000 (something) like that
and successfully output to a film recorder.

>Thanks.

>Jason Leigh
>jal@cs.wayne.edu
>--
>:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:
>:v)  Which of the two has the grander view?	- Victor Hugo     (v:

stephen menzies
--
Stephen Menzies
Email: S.Menzies@CAM.ORG