[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] ECS questions

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/04/91)

>In article <40854@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
>I was playing with the Workbench ScreenMode preferences tool on my A3000
>today, and this got me to wondering a few things:
>
>1) Why does "Productivity-Interlaced" mode flicker when the A3000 has
>a de-interlacer (the display enhancer)

Because you have not ingested enough coffee so that your vertical refresh
rate matches that of the monitor. If you drink enough coffee, the flicker
will go away. Don't drink too much, or you will get out of synch with it
again!

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com (04/04/91)

I was playing with the Workbench ScreenMode preferences tool on my A3000
today, and this got me to wondering a few things:

1) Why does "Productivity-Interlaced" mode flicker when the A3000 has
a de-interlacer (the display enhancer)

2) Why does super-hires mode still flicker?  (This isn't a complaint, just
a question.)  Would it be possible for a 3rd party developer (e.g. MicroWay)
to build a Super-flicker fixer that de-flickers super-hires and productivity
interlaced?

3) Is the A2024 display limited to 4 shades of gray always, or only on
the workbench screen (i.e. can you get 16 shades of gray out of it
on a lower resolution screen?)  Are there any hidden 'gotchas' to using
an A2024?

Thanks,
Lee		Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com

In article <40854@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
>I was playing with the Workbench ScreenMode preferences tool on my A3000
>today, and this got me to wondering a few things:
>
>1) Why does "Productivity-Interlaced" mode flicker when the A3000 has
>a de-interlacer (the display enhancer)

In Productivity mode, the pixel data come faster than the normal
de-interlacer circuitry and its RAM can sample them. You would need
much faster devices at exponential higher cost, so this was not done.

>2) Why does super-hires mode still flicker?  (This isn't a complaint, just
>a question.)  Would it be possible for a 3rd party developer (e.g. MicroWay)
>to build a Super-flicker fixer that de-flickers super-hires and productivity
>interlaced?

Same as 1).

>3) Is the A2024 display limited to 4 shades of gray always, or only on
>the workbench screen (i.e. can you get 16 shades of gray out of it
>on a lower resolution screen?)  Are there any hidden 'gotchas' to using
>an A2024?

Yes, the A2024 can only display 4 shades of grey. This mode is never
supposed to be used on a different monitor.