[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Graphics package w/ 3d capacity.

drichard@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (David Richards) (04/03/91)

The local cluster of amiga-philes is very close to convincing influential
members of the math faculty that the Amiga is the ideal machine for handling
the complex graphical manipulation of mathematically generated 3d objects.

Here is our problem.  Although our vax has an extremely powerful graphics
utility (Mathlib) that can create and display representaions of just about
any system you could think of, its capabilites end when it comes to display.
If you want to do something like view from another angle, the entire object
must be regenerated almost from scratch.  We would like to invoke some kind
of package on the amiga to read the vax generated data, then play with it
using something like a mouse or even a joystick.  Simplicity of operation
is essential.

Mathlib can write the data in any form that can be well specified.  It
current supports something like 100 different terminals and hardcopy devices.
It would be no problem to get the data in x,y,z format, or in a form
readable by almost any common piece of hardware.  If needed it would not be
hard to write a new device driver that would output the data in whatever
perverted form some package would want.

Wire fram graphics would certainly be acceptable.  We're working mostly
with graphs and such so we don't have much use for ray tracing.

Now the question.  What package will do this best?  I am unfamiliar with
all of the major graphics packages currently available, so I have no
background to work with at all.  Please send me your suggestions, if we can
make the Amiga perform well, it will mean a major foothold on this campus.
We think macs and PC's have prevailed long enough!

Thanks,
Dave

drichards@hmcvax.claremont.edu

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (04/05/91)

	Perhaps your best bet would be Videoscape 2.0.  It doesn't have the
	*best* image quality (it is not a ray-tracer...) but it does suppport
	all IFF modes, and what might be best of all, Videoscape supports
	object files in a very simple ASCII text format.  Conversion to this
	format should be pretty easy...

	Basically, it consists of a list of points (x,y,z), followed by
	a list of polygons referenced to the points. Eg:

		(# of pnts.),point 1, point 2, point 3....,color/texture code.

	There may be some ray-tracing packages that accept ASCII files or
	have a well documented binary format.

	One other plus about videoscape is that it is fairly fast when it
	renders... allowing the construction of animations quickly and
	easily.  (it can save animations in the popular '.anim' format).

	You should be able to find it for well less than $100.

	-Mike-

In article <11503@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> drichard@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (David Richards) writes:

>The local cluster of amiga-philes is very close to convincing influential
>members of the math faculty that the Amiga is the ideal machine for handling
>the complex graphical manipulation of mathematically generated 3d objects.

>Wire fram graphics would certainly be acceptable.  We're working mostly
>with graphs and such so we don't have much use for ray tracing.

	Calagari (I think there's a "junior" version) does real-time
wire-frame viewing, with an easily changable point of view via mouse.
It will also render (shaded) the object quickly.  May be a bit pricey or
overkill.  I suspect several object editors will do the job also.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)