[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] IBM

darryl@cs.yorku.ca (Darryl Gamble) (03/28/91)

My question is what IBM scanners work with the Amiga, if any ?
Does it take a lot of hacking with hardware and software ?
Or is there something out there to use a scanner already (public
domain or commercial) ?

In particular anybody using either a Logitech Scanman (Hi Res) or
an A4 Scanner w/ OCR ?

Thanks in advance
Also Please reply by e-mail and I'll summarize to the net if interest warrants.
Darryl Gamble  (darryl@cs.yorku.ca)
York University

icv@wet.UUCP (Ilsa VanHook) (04/01/91)

In article <491@yetti.UUCP> darryl@cs.yorku.ca (Darryl Gamble) writes:
>My question is what IBM scanners work with the Amiga, if any ?
I have heard there is a package called "Scannery", vendor unknown to
me, that lets you use HP flatbed scanners.

>Also Please reply by e-mail and I'll summarize to the net if interest warrants.
sorry, my mailer doesn't have a clue how to get to cs.yorku.edu...

I'm also shopping for a scanner, so i'm interested in hearing what you
find out.

Here's what i know:  I have seen two hand scanners available for the Amiga,
one is from Migraph, the other from Golden Image.  Both come with Migraph's
"Touch Up" software (i have no idea how good it is).  I've been told that
the Migraph outputs grayscale or single-bitplane files.  Both have
switchable scan resolution (75-400 dpi, if i remember right).

There are also some color scanners from Sharp that you can get with ASDG
software (which i have seen work, and i wish i could afford one of these
packages).

--
icv@wet.uucp
ilsa@well.sf.ca.us

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (04/05/91)

In article <2266@wet.UUCP> icv@wet.UUCP (Ilsa VanHook) writes:

> In article <491@yetti.UUCP> darryl@cs.yorku.ca (Darryl Gamble) writes:
> >My question is what IBM scanners work with the Amiga, if any ?
> I have heard there is a package called "Scannery", vendor unknown to
> me, that lets you use HP flatbed scanners.
>
> >Also Please reply by e-mail and I'll summarize to the net if interest warrants.
> sorry, my mailer doesn't have a clue how to get to cs.yorku.edu...
>
> I'm also shopping for a scanner, so i'm interested in hearing what you
> find out.
>
> Here's what i know:  I have seen two hand scanners available for the Amiga,
> one is from Migraph, the other from Golden Image.  Both come with Migraph's
> "Touch Up" software (i have no idea how good it is).  I've been told that
> the Migraph outputs grayscale or single-bitplane files.  Both have
> switchable scan resolution (75-400 dpi, if i remember right).
>
> There are also some color scanners from Sharp that you can get with ASDG
> software (which i have seen work, and i wish i could afford one of these
> packages).

I have played with the Migraph scanner, and was pretty impressed with
the software.

It ticks me off that the hardware is the same as a most of the PC
scanners, yet it costs twice as much!!!

I am thinking of getting one for my PC, scanning on the PC and
transfering the file to my amiga to work with.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (04/07/91)

In article <2266@wet.UUCP> icv@wet.UUCP (Ilsa VanHook) writes:
>There are also some color scanners from Sharp that you can get with ASDG
>software (which i have seen work, and i wish i could afford one of these
>packages).

You may have an antiquated impression of what color scanning costs on
the Amiga. The Sharp JX-300 for instance appeared at a list of $4995.
Today however, the list price is about $2345. It provides pretty quick
full page 300 24 bit color scanning. This scanner requires Pro ScanLab.

The JX-100 (with ASDG software included in the price!) can be had for
less than $700. This scanner gives 18 bit color and 6 bit gray scale
at up to 200 DPI (which is a lot higher than 400 DPI of 1 bit gray
scale). The scan bed measures 6.4 by 4 inches in size though. The
scanner interfaces to the Amiga via the builtin serial port.

Coming very soon are scanner controllers for NON-SHARP scanners such
as the EPSON ES-300C. The EPSON is a full page 24 bit scanner which
can sort of deliver up to 600 DPI and interfaces via the parallel
port so you do not need a special purpose interface board.

The scanner controller for the EPSON is ASDG's second generation of
scanner controller. Unlike ProScanLab (which is a stand alone program)
the EPSON controller is an add on module to Art Department Professional.
This means you just select ES300C as a loader in ADPro, and push load.
Zing! You're talking to the EPSON scanner controller. Scan an image
(controlled by ARexx even) and ZING, you're in ADPro and can do anything
to the scanned image that ADPro can do.

Anyway - more good news is that the EPSON lists for just $1999. Mail
order prices range from 1500 to full list. The EPSON driver for ADPRO
will list at $200 (available this summer). ADPRO itself lists for
$240. Expected total street price for everything you need is say:
1600 + 140 + 180 = 1920 for a full page full color scanner.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

lemiller@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Lynne Miller) (04/09/91)

the sharp jx-100 with the standard scanlab 100 software is a really nice
package and worth investing in. even though it is half page, you can still
do large areas and just save them as segments and then downsize them thru
a good paint program and piece the resulting brushes together. you WILL need
at least 4-5 megs of ram to run this marvel, but it is probably the nicest
scanner on the market for the money. i run my on a 500, and am very happy
with it... the output is very professional looking, as the software allows you
to do a lot of colour balancing, etc. the big advantage is that it doesn't
get the blurry effect that a lot of the handheld scanners get,as the sharp
scanners work like a xerox machine.. the lightbar is the moving part over
the item you want to scan.

lemiller@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Lynne Miller) (04/09/91)

if you want to have a little fun with the output from the jx-100, etc., there
is a terrific piece of shareware called imagelab.. a wonderful companion
piece to the scanlab 100 software.