[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Video Shootout

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (Kenneth Jamieson) (04/13/91)

Ok.. I am going to pick up either a DCTV or a HAM-E with my tax
refund. So the question is ... which one ?????

PRO'S and CONS

HAM-E :
	PRO: Intuition compatible. (Front/back, can be seen normally and
             dragged and so on).

	CON: No really 24 bit true.

DCTV :
	PRO: True 24 bit. Slow scan video digitizer.

	CON: NO RGB output, NOT intuition compatible. Only composite.

	Well, I think I am gonna go HAM-E.....

	Any opinions allowed.

--
========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
= "I know how you feel, you don't know if you want to hit me or kiss me - =

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) (04/14/91)

I have owned DCTV a few months..thing thing I like best about it is the
quality of pictures going to video because the signal *is* NTSC..so quite
literally *what you see is what you get* when going to video.  It used
to be I'd create objects or animations on the RGB side and then be
disappointed after I transferred to video (gee..it looked so much
better on the Amiga monitor).  No longer.  I am quite satified with
the large number of colors and the saturation that is finally laid down
onto video tape.  Also for *real time animation* I think DCTV is hard
to beat.  As the images are about the size (only slightly larger then)
as a hi-res or med-res iff..you can animate these images using dPaint
or public domain MAKEANIM.  As one of the many people who don't want
to plank down $5000 to get started in the single frame animation recording
business..this is a BIG plus.

IF you can afford single frame recording quipment and an expensive encoder..
then one of the other 24 bit products may be what you're looking for.

OR if you don't care about animation but want the most vivid RGB pictures
(like to photograph to just to amaze you friends)  then I would look at
HAM-E, Color Burst or one of the other 24bit display boards (toaster, fire
cracker).

I think the question is *where* do you want your output to go and how
much do you have to spend.

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (Kenneth Jamieson) (04/15/91)

In article <41269@cup.portal.com> amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) writes:
>to beat.  As the images are about the size (only slightly larger then)
>as a hi-res or med-res iff..you can animate these images using dPaint
>or public domain MAKEANIM.  As one of the many people who don't want

	Very true .. HAM-E is the same way (IFF) .. and my Genlock
will generate the NTSC for me.

	In hard numbers, of the two.... what is the better RESOLUTION
	and NUMBER of colors ??