[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] HAM-E

In article <LHq1w1w163w@bbs.sbs.com> diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) writes:
>Hey - anybody out ther heard anything new about HAM-E?  Does it exist?  What
>are it's specs?  Anything?  Also - anyone know of other 24 bit graphics
>options that would work with an A500?  Thanks!

	I have the HAM-E board. The results from it are very
good. Despite people's complaints about lack of resolution, when
you have 260K simultaneous colors, the 320 horiz resolution seems
more than adequate. There are also plans for an upgrade (I know
the method but was sworn to secrecy 8) to give it the equivalent
of 640 horiz resolution.
	The reason the results are better than normal HAM is
because you don't just have 16 color registers, you have 256. The
results are really good and the output quality hasn't been warped
into NTSC.
	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.184633.26866@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <LHq1w1w163w@bbs.sbs.com> diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) writes:
>>Hey - anybody out ther heard anything new about HAM-E?  Does it exist?  What
>>are it's specs?  Anything?  Also - anyone know of other 24 bit graphics
>>options that would work with an A500?  Thanks!
>
>	I have the HAM-E board. The results from it are very
>good. Despite people's complaints about lack of resolution, when
>you have 260K simultaneous colors, the 320 horiz resolution seems
>more than adequate. There are also plans for an upgrade (I know
>the method but was sworn to secrecy 8) to give it the equivalent
>of 640 horiz resolution.
>	The reason the results are better than normal HAM is
>because you don't just have 16 color registers, you have 256. The
>results are really good and the output quality hasn't been warped
>into NTSC.
>	-- Ethan

I also have the HAM-E, and have finally started using it after buying
the power supply not included to Europe.

It works OK, though I have only converted some 256 colour GIF's to
HAM-E format yet. When I have time, i will scan in some images with
DigiView and convert them to HAM-E HAM.

It is (almost) the only cheap solution for PAL users, and it works
with most 'show' utilities, since it is a normal highres screen. I would
like a -HE swith to Mostra however, since you now loose Mostra's
ability to scroll around in a picture.

Tommy Petersson

In article <1991Feb9.134325.6640@ericsson.se> etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se writes:

>I also have the HAM-E, and have finally started using it after buying
>the power supply not included to Europe.
>
>It works OK, though I have only converted some 256 colour GIF's to
>HAM-E format yet. When I have time, i will scan in some images with
>DigiView and convert them to HAM-E HAM.
>
>It is (almost) the only cheap solution for PAL users, and it works
>with most 'show' utilities, since it is a normal highres screen. I would
>like a -HE swith to Mostra however, since you now loose Mostra's
>ability to scroll around in a picture.

	The big thing about it isn't the 256 color mode (as far
as I'm concerned) but the HAM-E mode. I'll upload some of these
pictures to an FTP site: I dl-ed them from the BBS BBS, but I
don't imagine you want to waste your time with that expensive a
phone call!

>Tommy Petersson

	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.180147.12797@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Feb9.134325.6640@ericsson.se> etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se writes:
>>
>>I also have the HAM-E, and have finally started using it after buying
>>the power supply not included to Europe.
>>
>>It works OK, though I have only converted some 256 colour GIF's to
>>HAM-E format yet. When I have time, i will scan in some images with
>>DigiView and convert them to HAM-E HAM.
>>
>>It is (almost) the only cheap solution for PAL users, and it works
>>with most 'show' utilities, since it is a normal highres screen. I would
>>like a -HE swith to Mostra however, since you now loose Mostra's
>>ability to scroll around in a picture.
>>
>	The big thing about it isn't the 256 color mode (as far
>as I'm concerned) but the HAM-E mode. I'll upload some of these
>pictures to an FTP site: I dl-ed them from the BBS BBS, but I
>don't imagine you want to waste your time with that expensive a
>phone call!

Yes, it's about the same difference between the 256 colour mode and HAM-E,
as between Halfbrite and normal HAM, only the 256 colour mode starts out
at a level higher than normal HAM. I've seen some very good pictures,
probably scanned in with a Sharp or similar flat-bed scanner. I scanned
in an old picture of my daughter, and it was fairly good (the problems
were mostly glare from the lamps on the photo). Some 'image processing'
need to be done, though. I've not concluded acactly what can be done
with the hame renderer.

I have some problems with the paint program. If I have a 256 colour
picture that is larger than the screen, and I want to cut a screen-size
part out, I mark this area and cut it out as a brush. I've tried saving
the brush, exiting the program, reading in the brush... but only made
it to (sort of) work once. And I don't have a clue what I made different
that time!

Maybe I need an update of the program, I will contact Black Belt and
ask them for an upgrade and source code - instead of the power supply
I never got.

bryanh@amix.commodore.com (Bryan Harpel) (02/18/91)

> 	I have the HAM-E board. The results from it are very
> good. Despite people's complaints about lack of resolution, when
> you have 260K simultaneous colors, the 320 horiz resolution seems
> more than adequate. There are also plans for an upgrade (I know
> the method but was sworn to secrecy 8) to give it the equivalent
> of 640 horiz resolution.

   Do you happen to know if the HAM-E board will work with the VISTA
software? (VISTA supports 24 bit).

                                                           ///  Only
   - Bryan                                                ///   AMIGA
                                                      \\\///    Makes it
                                                       \XX/     Possible....
Bryan Harpel
UUCP: {rugters|uuwest|uunet}!cbmvax!amix!undrground!bryanh
INTERNET: undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com
         "You will die by my hand, For it is I who rule the land"

In article <Fm1JX1w163w@undrground> undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com (Bryan Harpel) writes:

>   Do you happen to know if the HAM-E board will work with the VISTA
>software? (VISTA supports 24 bit).

	It comes with software to convert an up-to 384x480 image
from 24-bit IFF to HAM-E. If you want other conversions, you need
to buy TAD, ADPro or the product from Active Circuits (can't
remember the name).

>                                                           ///  Only
>   - Bryan                                                ///   AMIGA
>                                                      \\\///    Makes it
>                                                       \XX/     Possible....
>Bryan Harpel
>UUCP: {rugters|uuwest|uunet}!cbmvax!amix!undrground!bryanh
>INTERNET: undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com
>         "You will die by my hand, For it is I who rule the land"

	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/20/91)

In article <Fm1JX1w163w@undrground> undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com (Bryan Harpel) writes:

>> 	I have the HAM-E board. The results from it are very
>> good. Despite people's complaints about lack of resolution, when
>> you have 260K simultaneous colors, the 320 horiz resolution seems
>> more than adequate. There are also plans for an upgrade (I know
>> the method but was sworn to secrecy 8) to give it the equivalent
>> of 640 horiz resolution.
>
>   Do you happen to know if the HAM-E board will work with the VISTA
>software? (VISTA supports 24 bit).
>

>                                                           ///  Only
>   - Bryan                                                ///   AMIGA
>                                                      \\\///    Makes it
>                                                       \XX/     Possible....
>Bryan Harpel
>UUCP: {rugters|uuwest|uunet}!cbmvax!amix!undrground!bryanh
>INTERNET: undrground!bryanh@amix.commodore.com
>         "You will die by my hand, For it is I who rule the land"

Basically, HAM-E has a renderer that converts a 24-bit IFF file to the
HAM-E format. The produced file is a normal HI-RES 16 colour image, which
will be decoded by the HAM-E hardware to LO-RES with many colours.

The announced "add-on" called "anti-aliasing engine" will probably take
the LO-RES output and make a HI-RES screen by giving each newly inserted
pixel a colour depending on the neighbour pixels.

The colours ARE very sharp.

Tommy Petersson
etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se

scottf@cai.uucp (Scott Fleming) (03/06/91)

A couple of days ago someone posted some information about HAM-E, and what      exactly it does.  Can someone mail it to me, or post it again?  I can't find
it anywhere, and would like to compare it to DCTV, and some of the other
24 Bit card for the amiga.  Any information, many thanks!

In article <1991Mar6.152320.16745@cai.uucp> scottf@cai.UUCP (Scott Fleming) writes:

>A couple of days ago someone posted some information about HAM-E, and what      exactly it does.  Can someone mail it to me, or post it again?  I can't find
>it anywhere, and would like to compare it to DCTV, and some of the other
>24 Bit card for the amiga.  Any information, many thanks!

The HAM-E mode allows 768x480 with 261,000 simultaneous colors
out of a palette of 16.7 million. It is using a HAM-type mode,
but with something on the order of 256 registers so that there is
less streaking. The image itself is actually only 384x480, but
there is an anti-aliasing chip (which costs $120 extra) which
computes an in-between color for each pixel.

You can also get a straight-out 256 out of 16.7 million mode (or
is it 512 color, I forget) which works like you'd expect.

The output is RGB.
	-- Ethan

	Upon leaving office, Ronald Reagan began renting an
office in the penthouse of the Fox Plaza, the Los Angeles
high-rise used as the location for the terrorist movie "Die
Hard".

pochron@rt9.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar6.172020.14129@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>The HAM-E mode allows 768x480 with 261,000 simultaneous colors
>less streaking. The image itself is actually only 384x480, but
>there is an anti-aliasing chip (which costs $120 extra) which
>computes an in-between color for each pixel.

So is this their "secret" method of getting hi-res output out of the HAM-E
device which has been rumored for months?

If so, then it is somewhat disappointing, since antialiasing, although giving
the appearance of higher resolution, does not improve the actual resolution and
makes the output fuzzy.  (Kinda defeats one of the reasons for hyping
RGB-output.)

--

       -- David M. Pochron   | "Life's a blit,
                             |  and then you VBI."
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu |

colyer@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (colyer) (04/17/91)

After reading the post a couple of days ago of the latest Image
Processing software being shipped with the 299.95 HAM-E unit, I had a
question.   Exactly what is the on screen resolution of the 299.95 unit?
Also how much memory do these screen require?

The Anti-aslising (sp.) feature of the upgraded ($429) HAM-E, is such
quality available via the normal HAM-E software?

Thanks...

In article <colyer.671826348@silver> colyer@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (colyer) writes:
>After reading the post a couple of days ago of the latest Image
>Processing software being shipped with the 299.95 HAM-E unit, I had a
>question.   Exactly what is the on screen resolution of the 299.95 unit?
>Also how much memory do these screen require?
>
>The Anti-aslising (sp.) feature of the upgraded ($429) HAM-E, is such
>quality available via the normal HAM-E software?
>
>Thanks...

	The normal resolution is 384x480 using overscan. The
anti-aliasing addition is hardware, not software. It CAN be added
as an extra to normal HAM-Es. The anti-aliasing adds inbetween
colors horizontally, giving the equivalent of 768x480.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.