[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Parallel raytracing

jdresser@altair.uucp (Jay Dresser) (04/12/91)

On the subject of parallel raytracing, I have developed a collection of
shell scripts, and one custom program, for raytracing on multiple Sun
workstations using DKBTrace.  I use 7 Sparcstations, but you can use
any number of any kind of workstation.  I slice the picture into 100
pieces (or any number you want) and dole out the sections to the next
available workstation.  Each can work at its own pace.  When it's all
done I concatenate the results, lharc it up, and modem it home to
display on my Amiga.  It takes a few minutes to do what the Amiga does
in 6 hours.  If anyone's interested let me know.  (Maybe I should
post?)

Jay Dresser, jdresser@Tymnet.com

s8922967@ipc05.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) (04/17/91)

In article <290@tymix.Tymnet.COM> jdresser@Tymnet.com (Jay Dresser) writes:
>On the subject of parallel raytracing, I have developed a collection of
>shell scripts, and one custom program, for raytracing on multiple Sun
>workstations using DKBTrace.  I use 7 Sparcstations, but you can use
>any number of any kind of workstation.  I slice the picture into 100
>pieces (or any number you want) and dole out the sections to the next
>available workstation.  Each can work at its own pace.  When it's all
>done I concatenate the results, lharc it up, and modem it home to
>display on my Amiga.  It takes a few minutes to do what the Amiga does
>in 6 hours.  If anyone's interested let me know.  (Maybe I should
>post?)
>
>Jay Dresser, jdresser@Tymnet.com

yes I'm interested, we have 10 IPCs here though I probably cannot
use them all (orsome), but if I can do it in a fraction it takes
at home, then great !
		Murray Gilbert

Mail : s8922967@ipc01.mqcs.mq.oz.au ???

PS: this is my first time on News sending. Howditgo?