[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Turbo-Silver

Scott_Busse@mindlink.UUCP (Scott Busse) (03/14/91)

Although Turbo Silver may still be available, I recommend that you either
inquire about the upgrade path to Imagine (call Impulse at 612-566-0221) or
just buy Imagine. The price is surely higher for Imagine, but if you can
somehow afford it, the improvements over Turbo are quite phenomenal. If you can
only afford Turbo Silver ( I hear it can be had cheap) then by all means go for
it. It's still great bang for the buck. It's strong point is not necessarily
its animation, although with persistence it is very capable, but rather its
rendering power that is great. Brush wrapping, algorithmic textures, alterable
refractivity, transparency, reflectivity are all tops. If you go with Turbo, I
recommend Victor Osaka's book on the subject, as well as Rick Rodriguez's video
tape, both of which may be now found cheap due to Turbo's replacement by
Imagine. Hope this helps...
* Scott Busse email:           O    O   O_     _      ___ .....
* CIS 73040,2114              |||  /|\  /\   O/\_     /         O    )=|
* a763@mindlink.UUCP           l   | |   |\    / \   /\                _\
* uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Scott_Busse     Live Long and Animate... \

wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) (03/14/91)

I'm interested in and would be appreciative of any information anyone can
supply about Turbo-Silver. I'm thinking of buying an animation package, and
this one was recommended by a friend of mine. I'm interested in the minimum
system requirements as well as the recommended configuration. I'd appreciate
any help.

Thanks.

wally@polari.uucp

      or

wally@seattle.uucp

dower@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Dower) (03/17/91)

In article <3494@polari.UUCP> wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) writes:

>I'm interested in and would be appreciative of any information anyone can
>supply about Turbo-Silver. I'm thinking of buying an animation package, and
>this one was recommended by a friend of mine. I'm interested in the minimum
>system requirements as well as the recommended configuration. I'd appreciate
>any help.

Well, Turbo Silver is a good program, it has many nice features like brush
mapping, texture mapping and other misc tools. I have been using many tools
over the past years, ranging from SA3D,4D,Turbo, and Imagine. Turbo Silver
is now quite inexpensive and if you have the money I'd say go for Imagine.
it costs around $250.00, but the features surpass Turbo Silver and the
interface is much better. The problem with system connfigurations is that
is you do plan to go into the 3D rendering and animation you will have to
speed up your machine. I have a 2000 base system w HD and 3megs.
My roomate however has a 2500 w HD and 3megs. It is significantly faster.

I know this is kinda rambled, but hope it helped a little...

I have used many programs, but never really got really good because I'm so
slow...

l8r...
dower@ritcsh.rit.edu.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (03/19/91)

dower@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Dower) writes:

> Well, Turbo Silver is a good program, it has many nice features like brush
> mapping, texture mapping and other misc tools. I have been using many tools
> over the past years, ranging from SA3D,4D,Turbo, and Imagine. Turbo Silver
> is now quite inexpensive and if you have the money I'd say go for Imagine.
> it costs around $250.00, but the features surpass Turbo Silver and the

Actually, Imagine can be had just about anywhere (mail-order) for
around $195.00.

> l8r...
> dower@ritcsh.rit.edu.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (03/20/91)

From article <NkB3y6w164w@graphics.rent.com>, by bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm):
> Actually, Imagine can be had just about anywhere (mail-order) for
> around $195.00.

Yes, but one can get turbosilver from just about anywhere for $69
bucks.  :)  And for that price, it's great.
								Greg
--
gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu | Amigas, Amigas everywhere, but not a one can think.
----Gregory R Block---- | Where's an AI when you need one?

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (03/21/91)

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) writes:

> From article <NkB3y6w164w@graphics.rent.com>, by bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob
> > Actually, Imagine can be had just about anywhere (mail-order) for
> > around $195.00.
>
> Yes, but one can get turbosilver from just about anywhere for $69
> bucks.  :)  And for that price, it's great.
> 								Greg

One taste of Imagine's Detail Editor and you will wonder how you ever
could create models in Turbo.  No lie!  In fact, from what I've read,
alot of Todd Rudgrens Toaster 3D video's objects were created in
Imagine's Detail Editor.  Says something for Imagine's editor and for
the Modeler that comes with Lightwave.

I've used both and I would rather use Imagine's Detail Editor to
create my models.  I could never deal with the horrible interface of
Turbo so I never used it.  I used Sculpt instead.  But Sculpt is now
very outdated and not supported and Imagine basically blows it away.

I guess the best of all worlds would be Imagine's Detail and Forms
editors and Lightwave for scenes and such in a single package, or at
least so they could talk to each other easily.  And if Lightwave
didn't require the Toaster...ah..one can only dream...

Oh..by the way..why in the heck doesn't Imagine support accelleration
and deccelleration in it's channels???  Just *how* do we do these
things...please don't tell me I have to calculate the keyframes...

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (03/21/91)

In article <7RR5y6w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
> One taste of Imagine's Detail Editor and you will wonder how you ever
> could create models in Turbo.  No lie!

I second that opinion.  Turbo Silver's editor was so minimal it's makes
me wonder if anyone every used it.  Imagine, though, is wonderful!

> Oh..by the way..why in the heck doesn't Imagine support accelleration
> and deccelleration in it's channels???  Just *how* do we do these
> things...please don't tell me I have to calculate the keyframes...

No, Bob.  You get yourself Imagine v1.1 ... It's IN there!

 ._.  Udo Schuermann		And now for something completely different:
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu	An Iraqi dictator without his underpants.

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (03/26/91)

In article <7RR5y6w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

>Oh..by the way..why in the heck doesn't Imagine support accelleration
>and deccelleration in it's channels???  Just *how* do we do these
>things...please don't tell me I have to calculate the keyframes...

 If you are talking about acceleration and deleceration in a move, if you have
splining, it is a very simple thing to accomplish. Make 2 keyframes, identical
say, frame 1 and 2. Now make another key frame, say 30. Spline this sequence.
You will notice that your move will ease in to the maximum at frame 30,
acceleration. Do the reverse of this, deceleration. We use this all the time.

neil

--
Only 3204 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu

peterb@intacc.uucp (Peter James Bowmar) (04/13/91)

Well, Imagine v1.1 supports acceleration and deceleration, but only along
paths (which is fine). Will Lightwave import Imagine models? Truly, the
modeler on Imagine kicks on Lightwave's. But then, Imagine generally is
lightyears ahead of Lightwave. About the only thing I can't do on Imagine that
I can on Lightwave is use a picture as a backdrop. The only thing.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/13/91)

peterb@intacc.uucp (Peter James Bowmar) writes:

> Well, Imagine v1.1 supports acceleration and deceleration, but only along
> paths (which is fine). Will Lightwave import Imagine models? Truly, the
> modeler on Imagine kicks on Lightwave's. But then, Imagine generally is
> lightyears ahead of Lightwave. About the only thing I can't do on Imagine tha
> I can on Lightwave is use a picture as a backdrop. The only thing.

I wouldn't put my foot in my mouth so quickly if I were you.  I have
used both extensivly (read my lips..extensivly) and there are
*several* advantages to Lightwave over Imagine.  I will *not* go into
them all here.  If anyone would like to know what they are, email me.

Also, there are a *ton* (read my lips...TON!) of new features being
pumped into Lightwave which makes it hands-down the BEST darn 3d
there is for the Amiga bar NONE!  I have Imagine 1.1 and the Toaster.

Yes, the Imagine Detail editor beats the Modeler hands down.  The
Modeler is NOT Lightwave 3D.  They are separate entities written by
different people.  In fact, we build our models in Imagine most of
the time.  You can use Syndisis's InterChange to conver Imagine
objects to VideoScape objects which Lightwave reads if you wish.

I'm sure Mark Thompson will stomp on your face for the above
statements you made.  You can see some of Marks fantastic work in the
Toaster archives on AB20 if you so desire.

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/15/91)

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>peterb@intacc.uucp (Peter James Bowmar) writes:
>> Will Lightwave import Imagine models?

The soon to be released next version of Lightwave is slated to have a builtin
object converter that should handle Imagine objects. The converter is being
developed by John Foust from Syndesis (co-author of Interchange). In the
mean time, Interchange works just fine using the TurboSilver3.0 module.

>> Truly, the
>> modeler on Imagine kicks on Lightwave's. But then, Imagine generally is
>> lightyears ahead of Lightwave. About the only thing I can't do on Imagine
>> tha I can on Lightwave is use a picture as a backdrop. The only thing.

>I have used both extensivly and there are
>*several* advantages to Lightwave over Imagine.

Imagine is a wonderful 3D package with the best Amiga modeler I know of
but it is not the do all end all program. I have used both and as a person
who does 3D animation professionally, I prefer Lightwave. As Bob mentioned,
there are many advantages Lightwave has over Imagine. A few of these include:

A vastly more intuitive user interface (the best of any I've seen).
Much faster rendering speed.
Simulated fog/haze.
Ability to texture map animations (image sequences) onto surfaces.
Transparent object edges for glow effects.
Animated fractal noise texture for dirt, clouds, flames, smoke, etc.
Background and foreground images with genlock support.
Particle systems with motion blur.
Extensive control over shadow casting.
Builtin single frame controller support.
A ready made 3D object library.
etc, etc...

As well as many other more subtle advantages that can only be appreciated
after extensive use (like how image mapping is handled).

>Also, there are a *ton* (read my lips...TON!) of new features being
>pumped into Lightwave which makes it hands-down the BEST darn 3d
>there is for the Amiga bar NONE!  I have Imagine 1.1 and the Toaster.

I can't tell you what all of them are but a few that I will mention are
depth of field effects, full motion blur, and soft/fuzzy shadows. Imagine
does not do any of these. You'll have to wait for the announcement from
NewTek for the rest of the wonderful new features.

>I'm sure Mark Thompson will stomp on your face for the above
>statements you made.  You can see some of Marks fantastic work in the
>Toaster archives on AB20 if you so desire.

Well maybe just lightly dance a jig on your forehead :-) And thanks for
the compliment Bob. As for the images mentioned above, they seem to have
disappeared along with all the pics on ab20 that were in the /amiga/graphics/
ilbm directory (I think that was the path). Anybody know what happened?
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (04/16/91)

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

>peterb@intacc.uucp (Peter James Bowmar) writes:

>> Well, Imagine v1.1 supports acceleration and deceleration, but only along
>> paths (which is fine). Will Lightwave import Imagine models? Truly, the
>> modeler on Imagine kicks on Lightwave's. But then, Imagine generally is
>> lightyears ahead of Lightwave. About the only thing I can't do on Imagine tha
>> I can on Lightwave is use a picture as a backdrop. The only thing.

[stuff deleted]
>I'm sure Mark Thompson will stomp on your face for the above
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>statements you made.  You can see some of Marks fantastic work in the
>Toaster archives on AB20 if you so desire.

Cool down, Bob..you're beginning to sound like you're on someone's
payroll.

>-- Bob

> The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
>  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
>      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
>    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
>    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

-stephen menzies
--
Stephen Menzies
Email: S.Menzies@CAM.ORG

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/16/91)

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) writes:

> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>
> [stuff deleted]
> >I'm sure Mark Thompson will stomp on your face for the above
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >statements you made.  You can see some of Marks fantastic work in the
> >Toaster archives on AB20 if you so desire.
>
> Cool down, Bob..you're beginning to sound like you're on someone's
> payroll.
>
> >-- Bob
>
> -stephen menzies
> --
> Stephen Menzies
> Email: S.Menzies@CAM.ORG

I would like to be! <grin>  The freelance video and graphics
market has felt a bit of a dip in the past few months.

Sorry for my enthusiasm but I use both Imagine 1.1 and Lightwave and
most people don't realize the advances that have been made in the
Lightwave software.  You really have to use it to do a project that
has a deadline before you can appreciate the advantages lightwave has
over other 3d products.   Just the animation preview is enough of an
advantage!  The preview in lightwave is lightYEARS ahead of the
Imagine preview.

The lightwave preview is larger and generates in less than half the
time it takes the Imagine preview to generate.  The Lightwave Scene
editor is infinately more intuitive than the Imagine Stage editor and
so on and so forth.

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/17/91)

In article <61892@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>there are many advantages Lightwave has over Imagine. A few of these include:
>
>   [list of advantages deleted]
>Ability to texture map animations (image sequences) onto surfaces.

Minor correction. Version 1.1 of Imagine has added this capability.