[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Questions - graphics archives and colour scanners

bourkej@ul.ie (04/15/91)

I have a few questions I have been meaning to ask for some time.

I'm looking for disks or a CDROM of clip art, fonts and pictures ?  I have
access to the internet so I could get some stuff from archives.

I'm used to getting archive material and decoding PC, VAX and UNIX archives,
but I've no idea where to start on the Amiga stuff.  Should I use kermit
to get it from our VAX ?  Can I get it onto PC disks and then into the Amiga ?
Is there a uncompresser specifically for Amiga.  Do people use uudecode ?

Last question.  Are there any colour hand scanners that will produce output
with 64 colours ( or more ), for screen use, not for DTP.

Thnaks.

John Bourke								 O-O
Systems Support,			<bourkej@ul.ie>			  |
Information Technology Department,	Phone: +353 61 333644 x2008	# _ #
University Of Limerick, Ireland.	FAX:   +353 61 330316		 ###

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/18/91)

In article <17024.2808e943@ul.ie> bourkej@ul.ie writes:
>I have a few questions I have been meaning to ask for some time.
>
>I'm looking for disks or a CDROM of clip art, fonts and pictures ?  I have
>access to the internet so I could get some stuff from archives.

	I think you'll have a hard time finding anything on CD-ROM
	for the Amiga. With the exception of Xetec's CD-ROM/Fred Fish
	collection, I don't think theres a much more available
	right now. What I really want to see is someone come out
	with software that could read IBM and Mac based CD-ROMs.
	Everytime I peruse an IBM or Mac magazine my mouth waters
	at the amount of Clip Art and Postscript Fonts available
	on CD-ROM.....Anyone working on this?????

>I'm used to getting archive material and decoding PC, VAX and UNIX archives,
>but I've no idea where to start on the Amiga stuff.  Should I use kermit
>to get it from our VAX ?  Can I get it onto PC disks and then into the Amiga ?
>Is there a uncompresser specifically for Amiga.  Do people use uudecode ?

	There is kermit available for the Amiga which is what I usually
	when downloading to my Amiga. If you can get it on PC floppies
	you can use CrossDos to read them into the Amiga.

>Last question.  Are there any colour hand scanners that will produce output
>with 64 colours ( or more ), for screen use, not for DTP.

	Well, I use the Sharp JX100. It's really not a hand-held
	unit. You lay it over the material to scan and it makes
	three passes, one for for each RGB. It's 50, 100, and 200dpi
	and 18bit color. You can also do 3 bit color, 6 bit gray
	and monochrome.
	You can render the resultant file with something
	like The Art Department or Art Department Professional
	in any Amiga graphic mode. Actually, ASDG ScanLab 100
	software for the JX100 will render to the screen also.
	Check it out. It's a great setup.