[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Animation Journeyman

34ZNYIR@CMUVM.BITNET (01/27/91)

Does anybody out there have any info on Animation Journeyman from Hash Enter-
prises??  From what I have heard about it, it is supposed to be THE PROGRAM for
doing organic (life-like (?)) motion.  I had heard about the program a year ago
or so and haven't seen much info on it since then.  Any info would be greatly
appreciated.
                           JEFF KOTT
                     34ZNYIR@CMUVM.BITNET

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.044843.25217@qiclab.scn.rain.com> baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) writes:
>I'll be happy to answer any of your questions about Animation:Journeyman.
>We've been shipping since August and are now on version 1.13 (I believe).

I am nearing the point that I will be purchasing this product. Because
of its continually evolving nature, what is the upgrade policy? Also,
what are the current realm of tools available in the modeler for creating
objects?
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) (02/12/91)

In article <61682@masscomp.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>I am nearing the point that I will be purchasing this product. Because
>of its continually evolving nature, what is the upgrade policy? Also,
>what are the current realm of tools available in the modeler for creating
>objects?

We had a free upgrade to Version 1.1 for owners of 1.0.  But, now that
1.1 is out, and it's rock solid, we charge $10 for upgrades, unless there's
a new manual which would be $15-$20.  We don't charge for versions that
are just bug fixes, but we do charge for upgrades that have new features
(which they usually do).  We are constantly trying to improve Journeyman,
and it had gone through a lot of changes since V1.0 last August.  We have
an automatic update policy.  If you sign up for this, we automatically
send you upgrades, and charge your credit card.  It's useful for people
that absolutely have to have the latest version.  I would say for now,
there may be a new version every 2 or 3 months with minor bug fixes
inbetween.

What do you mean by "current realm of tools"?  What features does Sculpture
have?  Or are there other modelers for JMan?  Sculpture is the only spline
based modeler for the Amiga.  We are using a custom spline that we designed
which allows much more fine tuning control than any of the more popular
splines.  It's unlikely any other Amiga modelers will support JMan directly.
That's why we made our modeler so powerful.  Many features like boolean
geometrics or lathe are not as useful when you have direct patch modeling.
But we do have important features like extrude, clone, hide, etc.  And you
can look at the object at any angle in both view windows.

Hope this helps.

>%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
>%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
>%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
>%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
>%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
>%                                                                       %

    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER
         "What?!? Sore again?" -- Bugs Bunny to Yosemity Sam

Ron_Tarrant@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (02/13/91)

> baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com writes:
>
> We had a free upgrade to Version 1.1 for owners of 1.0.  But, now that
> 1.1 is out, and it's rock solid, we charge $10 for upgrades, unless there's
> a new manual which would be $15-$20.  We don't charge for versions that
> are just bug fixes, but we do charge for upgrades that have new features
> (which they usually do).  We are constantly trying to improve Journeyman,
> and it had gone through a lot of changes since V1.0 last August.  We have
> an automatic update policy.  If you sign up for this, we automatically
> send you upgrades, and charge your credit card.  It's useful for people
> that absolutely have to have the latest version.  I would say for now,
> there may be a new version every 2 or 3 months with minor bug fixes
> inbetween.
>
> --
>     //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
>   \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER
>          "What?!? Sore again?" -- Bugs Bunny to Yosemity Sam

I used to get a newsletter from your company but it stopped quite a while ago.
Are you still sending these out? If so, could you please send me one.
Also, I was wondering why I hadn't gotten confirmation (or at least
acknowledgement) when I registered Animation: Apprentice last summer.
Several friends of mine here in Vancouver (British Columbia, not Washington :-)
got notices about the upgrade to Animation: Journeyman, but I didn't. Does this
mean that you didn't get my registration card? If not, please let me know. I
sent it by registered mail (forgive the pun) so if you didn't get it I'll have
to have it tracked down.
Thanks in advance.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb11.195337.13098@qiclab.scn.rain.com> baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) writes:
>What do you mean by "current realm of tools"?  What features does Sculpture
>have?

Yes.

>Many features like boolean geometrics or lathe are not as useful
>when you have direct patch modeling.
>But we do have important features like extrude, clone, hide, etc.  And you
>can look at the object at any angle in both view windows.

I am particularly interested in high level object creation and deformation
tools. I guess you have mostly answered my questions and until I actually
see it work, I probably can't get more specific. I think a lathe tool would
still be of value even with spline patches. Will you be at the New York
AmigaWorld Expo in March? If so, I will talk to you there.

baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) (02/17/91)

In article <4783@mindlink.UUCP> Ron_Tarrant@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) writes:
>I used to get a newsletter from your company but it stopped quite a while ago.
>Are you still sending these out? If so, could you please send me one.

We haven't done a newsletter for quite a while, mainly because we just
don't have the time.  Also, it's VERY expensive.  It's possible we will
do one in the future, but we're pretty swamped right now.  But, don't
worry, you haven't been missing out.

>Also, I was wondering why I hadn't gotten confirmation (or at least
>acknowledgement) when I registered Animation: Apprentice last summer.
>Several friends of mine here in Vancouver (British Columbia, not Washington :-)
>got notices about the upgrade to Animation: Journeyman, but I didn't. Does this
>mean that you didn't get my registration card? If not, please let me know. I
>sent it by registered mail (forgive the pun) so if you didn't get it I'll have
>to have it tracked down.

I'll check it out.

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER
         "What?!? Sore again?" -- Bugs Bunny to Yosemity Sam

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/06/91)

Hey Ken!

I tired to email you a letter, but it was returned. What I want to know, is
how does one get a demo of Animation Journeyman? It seems that no one carries
the thing. How much is it? And where do I see some images generated by it?
Thanks.

neil

--
Only 3193 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu

baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) (04/09/91)

In article <977@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:
>I tired to email you a letter, but it was returned.

There's been a lot of that lately.  My domain address is: baer@qiclab.UUCP,
or try sun.com!nosun!qiclab!baer.  BTW, nosun is in Portland, rather
appropriate I think. :-)

> What I want to know, is
>how does one get a demo of Animation Journeyman?

We've been wanting to make a demo version of the choregrapher (Direction),
but just haven't been able to get to it.  We've getting close to finishing
our film (Joyride), and plan to make a tape with it followed by a
demonstration of the software.  That way we can show it in the context of
making a real film, which is what it's for.  In the long run, I think that'll
make more sense for us, since we don't think of JMan as being platform
specific  (it will soon be running on IBM's and Macs as well as Amigas,
though we still prefer the Amiga).  Our film will be done by early June.

> It seems that no one carries
>the thing. How much is it?

That's because we only sell Journeyman direct.  There are many reasons for
this, but the main one this that JMan is directed at a VERY specific market
(character animation film making) and we've found it a lot better to deal
directly with our customers.  There are some great dealers out there who
do a good job dealing in the high end video market, but unfortunately,
there aren't enough of them right now to justify giving a the 60% cut that
all dealer want.  This may change in the future, but right now dealing
directly with customers has been a good thing.  It certainly helps us
improve the software faster.

Animation:Journeyman is $500.

> And where do I see some images generated by it?

The May issue of Amiga World has a full review of Journeyman (I haven't seen
it yet).  The image to look at is a frame from our Joyride film, which is
full 24-bit, that we sent them.  There is a BIG problem with some of the
images they printed.  There was a bug in the version we sent them for
review (due to the lead time, that version is now 6 months out of date).
When the renderer saved in 24-bit mode, it didn't save reds.  That was
fixed quite a while ago, but we didn't realize the reviewer had this version,
and he never looked at his 24bit pics, he just sent them on to the magazine.
OOPS.  So, keep that in mind when looking at it.  As soon I can borrow our
DCTV for a few days, I plan to upload some DCTV pics to PeopleLink.  I could
also drop a few IFF24's to you in the mail if you want.

>Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu
>Rhythm & Hues Inc.       UUCP: ...{ames,hplabs}!lll-tis!celia!neil)

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER
          "Hey, I think a glacier just passed us!" - Andy from Joyride

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (04/11/91)

Ken,

  How about some plane jane 16-32 color ANIMS or some HAM (or SHAM)
stills. I would LOVE some 16 color ANIMS of "spliney" objects (Snakes,
some fish, wireframe people etc....)

  Also how much will the Tape be??

--
 adam hill --  hill@evax.uta.edu        ASOCC - University of Texas at UTA
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.074829.258@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:
>  How about some plane jane 16-32 color ANIMS or some HAM (or SHAM)
>stills. I would LOVE some 16 color ANIMS of "spliney" objects (Snakes,
>some fish, wireframe people etc....)

Since Journeyman is design for professional use, it doesn't output 16
or 32 color, just HAM and 24-bit.  The main reason I haven't uploaded
anims is that they're all quite large, and the networks I'm on have
size limits.  I'd like to upload some DCTV pics, because they're a lot
smaller, but our DCTV is in constant use.

>  Also how much will the Tape be??

Probably something like $10, but we haven't made a final decision yet.

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (04/13/91)

>Since Journeyman is design for professional use, it doesn't output 16
>or 32 color, just HAM and 24-bit.  The main reason I haven't uploaded
>anims is that they're all quite large, and the networks I'm on have
>size limits.  I'd like to upload some DCTV pics, because they're a lot
>smaller, but our DCTV is in constant use.

We've been having a blast (locally) showing off DCTV->HAM pics. The conversion
is unbelieveably clean and clear. I wouldn't doubt that a few people would be
interested in seeing some of the converted DCTV pics. I know one poor user
that was forced into buying DCTV (mostly) because of the quality of the
converted HAMs (Right John? :)

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/13/91)

baer@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Ken Baer) writes:

> In article <1991Apr11.074829.258@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.ed
> >  How about some plane jane 16-32 color ANIMS or some HAM (or SHAM)
> >stills. I would LOVE some 16 color ANIMS of "spliney" objects (Snakes,
> >some fish, wireframe people etc....)
>
> Since Journeyman is design for professional use, it doesn't output 16
> or 32 color, just HAM and 24-bit.  The main reason I haven't uploaded
> anims is that they're all quite large, and the networks I'm on have
> size limits.  I'd like to upload some DCTV pics, because they're a lot
> smaller, but our DCTV is in constant use.

Ah, I think the format most professionals (after all, that's who's
going to drop $500 for this program) would be interested in are 24bit
IFF images.  Drop a few of them in ab20 and then we can all convert
them to whatever our little hearts desire to view them in such as:

HAM-E, DCTV, TARGA, HAM, DDHR so on and so forth.  Anything less than
24-bit is a waste if you want to show the quality of output from
your program and your renderer if your software is for professionals.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (E. John Love) (04/16/91)

Ooops...I should have changed the title....

I've been comparing the differences between regular HAM renderings from
Imagine, and renderings from the same scene done as 24 bit ILBMs, which are
loaded into DCTV, and then converted to HAM from there.  The main advantage
of loading the pix into DCTV and converting to HAM is the clarity and
crispness of the converted image.  This also means that the image *may* be
somewhat smaller - possibly due to this 'cleaness' in the image.  (ie. less
dithering, or changes per line?)  I've found that the same scene rendered as
24 bit and converted to HAM is 20K smaller than just a straight HAM
rendering!  This is useful too, as I'm uploading these pics regularly, as Pat
mentioned...

Oh yeah....I love my DCTV.  And tha's all.  :)

"Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Television..."
E. John Love   S.S. Outbound BBS  Vancouver, BC CANADA
(604) 322-9579   e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/17/91)

In article <e._john_love.4889@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (E. John Love) writes:
>Ooops...I should have changed the title....
>
>I've been comparing the differences between regular HAM renderings from
>Imagine, and renderings from the same scene done as 24 bit ILBMs, which are
>loaded into DCTV, and then converted to HAM from there.  The main advantage
>of loading the pix into DCTV and converting to HAM is the clarity and
>crispness of the converted image.  This also means that the image *may* be
>somewhat smaller - possibly due to this 'cleaness' in the image.  (ie. less
>dithering, or changes per line?)  I've found that the same scene rendered as
>24 bit and converted to HAM is 20K smaller than just a straight HAM
>rendering!  This is useful too, as I'm uploading these pics regularly, as Pat
>mentioned...
>
>Oh yeah....I love my DCTV.  And tha's all.  :)
>
>"Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Television..."
>E. John Love   S.S. Outbound BBS  Vancouver, BC CANADA
>(604) 322-9579   e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca

	I've been holding out on DCTV in anticipation of ColorBurst,
	which may or maynot ever hit the streets. The reason?
	Composite vrs. RGB.

	But I've started thinking about that. I can definately see
	choosing DCTV over CB if I were into video. But what about
	it's possible use for Color DTP? Would'nt the actual data
	involved be the same for Composite as well as RGB? The only
	difference is the actual monitor display. Although I know
	in the world of DTP, WYSINWYG, how much of a difference would
	an RGB device make over a composite device? Curious....

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.154701.17867@cbnewsd.att.com> rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) writes:

>	I've been holding out on DCTV in anticipation of ColorBurst,
>	which may or maynot ever hit the streets. The reason?
>	Composite vrs. RGB.
>
>	But I've started thinking about that. I can definately see
>	choosing DCTV over CB if I were into video. But what about
>	it's possible use for Color DTP? Would'nt the actual data
>	involved be the same for Composite as well as RGB? The only
>	difference is the actual monitor display. Although I know
>	in the world of DTP, WYSINWYG, how much of a difference would
>	an RGB device make over a composite device? Curious....

Yes, you can generate 24bit IFF files from DCTV. And the display is the more
or less the only difference. This is one drawback to only dealing with NTSC
images. This is color. When you paint in composite, as you do right now on
DCTV, you are working with NTSC color and not RGB color. This affects the way
you choose colors to paint with. It will affect the look of what your image.
This could be the only argument I could see in not getting a DCTV, *BUT* it has
be stated in the manual and in reviews of the product that DCTV is coming out
with a device that will add on to the DCTV and will output RGB, hurray!! My
only concern is that this RGB converter connects to the composite output. This
makes it sort of a kludge to get RGB. On the hopes that this will be an
excellent " kludge ", I have purchased a DCTV, also on the urging of my wife
who wants to output video anyways. DCTV does have an excellent paint program
and the manual speaks of desktop publishing software, so I am counting on an
excellent RGB output one day at high resolutions. I am interested mostly in
output to film.

neil

--
Only 3180 shopping days left till the next millenium!