[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Video Toaster

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/05/91)

HI.

Could someone briefly describe his/her experience with the
VIDEO TOASTER?  Which machine they are running it on.. and
pros and cons?

Thanks!

Please email ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

hinker@cub_2.acl (Paul J. Hinker) (04/16/91)

   I've finally convinced my boss to buy an Amiga but here's the deal.
I need to be able to connect the Video Toaster to it.  I would really like
to get a A3000 but I understand that due to differences in video hardware,
the VT doesn't currenly work with the A3000.  Does anyone know when NewTek
plans on making a 3000 version?  (If ever).

Many thanks in advance,

Paul Hinker hinker@acl.lanl.gov    ///  If it works, it's not state-of-the-art
MS B287	    505-665-4529          ///                           --Hansen's Law
Los Alamos National Labs ACL  \\\///    All our stuff is broke
Los Alamos, NM  87545          \XX/                    --Forslund's Corollary
--
Paul Hinker hinker@acl.lanl.gov    ///  If it works, it's not state-of-the-art
MS B287	    505-665-4529          ///                           --Hansen's Law
Los Alamos National Labs ACL  \\\///    All our stuff is broke
Los Alamos, NM  87545          \XX/                    --Forslund's Corollary

cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross E Milward) (04/17/91)

	If NewTek are considering making a stand-alone
Video Toaster incorporating parts of the Amiga why would
Commodore be in agreeance?
	Surely the Video Toaster is one of the main (if not
the main) assets to the Amiga, and that allowing NewTek to
borrow Amiga technology would distance NewTek from the Amiga.
This would allow people to purchase the Toaster without having
an Amiga.
	What would Commodore gain from this apart from royalties
from NewTek?  It's certainly not going to promote the Amiga.

Ross Milward.
cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr17.041051.19978@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross E Milward) writes:
	   If NewTek are considering making a stand-alone
   Video Toaster incorporating parts of the Amiga why would
   Commodore be in agreeance?

Because they then get money for machines that they otherwise wouldn't
have sold.

   This would allow people to purchase the Toaster without having
   an Amiga.

So? NewTek is already selling the "Toaster" - an Amiga + toaster with
no CBM labels on it (this is SOP for an OEM). These people aren't
buying an Amiga - they're buying a toaster. They don't care - and may
not know - that they are getting an Amiga.

	   What would Commodore gain from this apart from royalties
   from NewTek?  It's certainly not going to promote the Amiga.

Compared to the current situation? Well, NewTek will be able to make &
sell toasters + parts of an Amiga cheaper than a toaster and complete
Amiga, so they are probably going to make more money. The absolute
worst case is that NewTek takes off and abandons the Amiga. Well, CBM
is going to make money selling parts (single source for a critical
part, at that), which is better than NewTek abandoning the Amiga
without paying CBM for parts. But so long as NewTek doesn't abandon
the Amiga, helping NewTek will be helping the Amiga.

	<mike
--
He was your reason for living				Mike Meyer
So you once said					mwm@pa.dec.com

gardner@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike Gardner) (04/18/91)

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:

>In article <1991Apr17.041051.19978@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross E Milward) writes:

>Compared to the current situation? Well, NewTek will be able to make &
>sell toasters + parts of an Amiga cheaper than a toaster and complete
>Amiga, so they are probably going to make more money. The absolute
>worst case is that NewTek takes off and abandons the Amiga. Well, CBM
>is going to make money selling parts (single source for a critical
>part, at that), which is better than NewTek abandoning the Amiga
>without paying CBM for parts. But so long as NewTek doesn't abandon
>the Amiga, helping NewTek will be helping the Amiga.

Looks like an opening here for mail-order kits.  Upgrade to NewTek Toaster
to turn it into an Amiga 2000!   For only $500 get a keyboard, monitor,
cables and software!

mgg

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (04/18/91)

cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross E Milward) writes:

> 	If NewTek are considering making a stand-alone
> Video Toaster incorporating parts of the Amiga why would
> Commodore be in agreeance?
> 	Surely the Video Toaster is one of the main (if not
> the main) assets to the Amiga, and that allowing NewTek to
> borrow Amiga technology would distance NewTek from the Amiga.
> This would allow people to purchase the Toaster without having
> an Amiga.
> 	What would Commodore gain from this apart from royalties
> from NewTek?  It's certainly not going to promote the Amiga.
>
> Ross Milward.
> cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au

Well, it very much depends on how much proprietary Amiga stuff is in that
NewTek bundle. Maybe it's a deal like the CDTV where the platform base is
lots of Amiga but disguised as something else. Does it promote the idea of
Amiga computing? Probably not much directly. But the video market is going
to stay small for a while. Like the DTP market is small in absolute terms
but high profile. And I think it is agood idea for CBM to sel Amiga
technology anyway they can. It's quite old now and they have to raise cash
somehow for next generation's R&D. I'd like to see some 3rd party license
the Amiga chips to make an Amiga board for all those XT boxes out there.
Sneak it to them cheap as a way to accelerate graphics, het "VGA" maybe even
boost GEOWorks. Then hint to them that with the right extra box (e.g. Bogeda
Bay) they could tap all thoseneat Amiga games and peripherals. And include a
path to the Toaster and accelerator (GVP) cards too!

Only my humble opinions.

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.041051.19978@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross E Milward) writes:
> 	If NewTek are considering making a stand-alone
> Video Toaster incorporating parts of the Amiga why would
> Commodore be in agreeance?

I guess because it makes them money.

> 	Surely the Video Toaster is one of the main (if not
> the main) assets to the Amiga, and that allowing NewTek to
> borrow Amiga technology would distance NewTek from the Amiga.
> This would allow people to purchase the Toaster without having
> an Amiga.
> 	What would Commodore gain from this apart from royalties
> from NewTek?  It's certainly not going to promote the Amiga.

They gain nothing, except now the Mac/PC folks can completely ignore
the Amiga again.  Certainly the mere annoucement of such a device
being made available will allow the Mac/PC folks to say "The Amiga
is not strong enough on its own merits to cause us purchase them
to use the Toaster.  NewTek has taken what few things that are
good about the Amiga and created their own multimedia PC platform.
Our company fully intends on supporting these devices."

It is enough to make you sick.

I am _sure_ the fact that the Amiga is the 'engine' of the Toaster
will be lost... and soon forgotten.  Pretty soon you will probably
read how Apple invented the damn thing, or how Bill Gates had a
dream about it... and poof it was there.

In a way I feel a bit betrayed by NewTek.   I have supported
NewTek over the years with my dollars because of two things.
The first being that made excellent products, the second that
they were 100% Amiga.

On the other hand they have every right to make as many dollars
as they can.  After all that is what business is about is it not?

I just hate to see them ride on the back of Commodore and Commodore
not get any credit... nor the Amiga in general.  Perhaps the
arrogance of NewTek is getting me a bit as well.

> Ross Milward.
> cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

plouff@kali.enet.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (04/19/91)

In article <851.280d6ae0@vger.nsu.edu>, manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes...
>In article <1991Apr17.041051.19978@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, cprem@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross E Milward) writes:
>> 	If NewTek are considering making a stand-alone
>> Video Toaster incorporating parts of the Amiga why would
>> Commodore be in agreeance?
>
>I guess because it makes them money.

A related thread reports that the stand-alone Toaster is just an A2000
with Commodore and Amiga labels removed.  Nobody has yet reported what
software is bundled with the package.

This sort of arrangement sets NewTek up as a "value-added reseller."
NewTek is obviously providing a turn-key solution to people who don't
want to shop for all the pieces themselves.  This has very little to do
with motivation of the various parties and a lot to do with both
companies making money by filling customers' needs.

Once again Usenet turns half a fact into reams of speculation. :-)

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.
plouff@kali.enet.dec.com

Amiga -- over 921,600,000,000 pixels sold.

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/21/91)

In article <MWM.91Apr17114659@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>Compared to the current situation? Well, NewTek will be able to make &
>sell toasters + parts of an Amiga cheaper than a toaster and complete
>Amiga, so they are probably going to make more money. The absolute
>worst case is that NewTek takes off and abandons the Amiga. Well, CBM
>is going to make money selling parts (single source for a critical
>part, at that), which is better than NewTek abandoning the Amiga
>without paying CBM for parts. But so long as NewTek doesn't abandon
>the Amiga, helping NewTek will be helping the Amiga.
>
>	<mike
>--
>He was your reason for living				Mike Meyer
>So you once said					mwm@pa.dec.com
>Now your reason for living				decwrl!mwm
>Has left you half dead

  Don't forget, it will HAVE to be a complete Amiga, minus disk drive.
Otherwise how will it run the software?

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.