[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Imagine and Lightwave...

Scott_Busse@mindlink.UUCP (Scott Busse) (04/14/91)

>> Peter James Bowmar writes: "About the only thing I can't do on
>> Imagine that I can on Lightwave is use a picture as a backdrop...
From what I gather from the Computer Graphics World article, Lightwave is
capable of soft edge shadows, and fractalized texturing, both of which Imagine
cannot do...
* Scott Busse email:           O    O   O_     _      ___ .....
* CIS 73040,2114              |||  /|\  /\   O/\_     /         O    )=|
* a763@mindlink.UUCP           l   | |   |\    / \   /\                _\
* uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Scott_Busse     Live Long and Animate... \

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (04/18/91)

  I would also like to point out Lightwave seems a heck of a lot more user
friendly than Imagine...  except for the fact it needs the toaster to run.

Derek Lang<<<<<    |
ACPS1072@Ryerson   |    "Get this clown trained.  I want him in the games
Toronto, ON        |     until he dies playing.  Acknowledge."
Canada             |                             - Master Control Program

ridout@uservx.afwl.af.mil (04/19/91)

In article <91107.220849ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA>, ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:

>   I would also like to point out Lightwave seems a heck of a lot more user
> friendly than Imagine...  except for the fact it needs the toaster to run.
>
> Derek Lang<<<<<    |
> ACPS1072@Ryerson   |    "Get this clown trained.  I want him in the games
> Toronto, ON        |     until he dies playing.  Acknowledge."
> Canada             |                             - Master Control Program

Why do people insist on compairing a $1600 hardware/software package with a
$300 dollar Strictly software package?:-)  I think if I could afford the Toster
I would own both.  I am sure they both have strong enough points that they
would be valuable.  If I got the prices wrong sorry but you get my point.
Besides compaired to Turbo silver, Imagine is the most friendly s/w ever
invented :-) I own that one too BTW.

--
|  Brian Ridout                  What's the difference between a CAR       |
|  PL/SCEV                       salesman and a COMPUTER salesman?         |

Scott_Busse@mindlink.bc.ca (Scott Busse) (04/20/91)

Bobl@graphics.rent.com writes:
>> I can't see the reason why the Firecracker costs so much.
I guess I may be the one to let the cat out of the bag. The Firecracker is now
selling for US$ 999.00, directly from Impulse. I got some mail from the
VistaPro people saying they had made an agreement with Impulse to get $999.00
boards (2 megs, BTW) for VistaPro customers. A call to Mike Halvorson confirmed
this. He didn't say if this was a forever price, but if he sells a ton of 'em,
maybe it will make it a viable marketing approach for him. In light of the
competition for Firecracker, it certainly makes sense though... Call Impulse if
you're intersested, and let us know what you hear!
--
* Scott Busse email:           O    O   O_     _      ___ .....
* CIS 73040,2114              |||  /|\  /\   O/\_     /         O    )=|

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/20/91)

>In article <1991Apr20.192108.31498@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
[...]
>Let's all write NewTek a letter asking them to release it separately.
>
>Their address is:
>
>Mark Randall - Director of Marketing  or  Tim Jenison - President
>
>NewTek Inc.
>215 SE 8th St.
>Topeka, KS 66603
>

>I for one am penning it now.  Please help me if you too want LightWave without
>the Toaster.

Urk! Didn't your last letter writing campaign end in the president of the
company posting a note to this newsgroup asking you not very politely to
fork() off?

Your little letter-writing campaigns tend to annoy people. What are you
trying to do, get on the "Fight Back" TV show list of honor?

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/20/91)

ridout@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:

> Why do people insist on compairing a $1600 hardware/software package with a
> $300 dollar Strictly software package?:-)  I think if I could afford the Tost
> I would own both.  I am sure they both have strong enough points that they
> would be valuable.  If I got the prices wrong sorry but you get my point.
> Besides compaired to Turbo silver, Imagine is the most friendly s/w ever
> invented :-) I own that one too BTW.

The reason is because they are Apples and Apples.  They basically do
the exact same thing and are comparable.  If you want, you can just
add the Firecracker to Imagine and compare that way.  How's that
sound? <grin>  For the money, you are *better off* with Lightwave and
the Toaster if your main output is going to be to video anyway.

Also, you can just compare the software independantly of the output
boards.  Even though Lightwave requires the Toaster, the software
itself is comparable to Imagine...well, not really. B^)

I can't see the reason why the Firecracker costs so much.  I can
purchase a Targa + for about the same price as the Firecracker and
the TARGA + will do one hell of alot more than the Firecracker will!

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/21/91)

In a message from Brian Ridout:

>Why do people insist on compairing a $1600 hardware/software package with a
>$300 dollar Strictly software package?:-)  I think if I could afford the Toster

According to some rather knowledgable sources, LightWave DOES NOT use any of
the features of the Toaster in doing its rendering.  It only uses it, literally,
as a $1500 dongle.  It IS a piece of software, and would be perfectly useful
without the Toaster (as I wish it were sold).

I can't afford the Toaster, but I do want LightWave.  I will have a 24 bit
board in the near future (but not a $1500 one) and I want LightWave to create
pics for it.  Imagine is nice, but LW has many qualities which make it
better in ways than Imagine.  I think both would complement each other (as
Mark Thompson can attest) and I would like to have them both.

Let's all write NewTek a letter asking them to release it separately.

Their address is:

Mark Randall - Director of Marketing  or  Tim Jenison - President

NewTek Inc.
215 SE 8th St.
Topeka, KS 66603

I for one am penning it now.  Please help me if you too want LightWave without
the Toaster.

DON'T GET ME WRONG:  The Toaster is an AWESOME product at an even better price.
It's just that even if I could afford the $1500 toaster, I can't afford to fill
all those empty plugs on the back (something I would not be able to keep myself
from doing - I just HATE empty plugs - just check out my stereo) with a $1000
camcorder, a couple of $600 stereo/flying erase head VCRs, a $2000 time base
corrector, and at least 2 $300 monitors (I have a 1950 which wouldn't work with
the Toaster).  I can however afford a reasonable price for LightWave and a
less expensive (and less plug equipped) 24 bit board.  If you feel the same,
please write to the above address.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/22/91)

In a message From: ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander)

>>In article <1991Apr20.192108.31498@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>[...]
>>Let's all write NewTek a letter asking them to release it separately.
>>
>>Their address is:
>>
>>Mark Randall - Director of Marketing  or  Tim Jenison - President
>>
>>NewTek Inc.
>>215 SE 8th St.
>>Topeka, KS 66603
>>

>>I for one am penning it now.  Please help me if you too want LightWave without
>>the Toaster.
>
>Urk! Didn't your last letter writing campaign end in the president of the
>company posting a note to this newsgroup asking you not very politely to
>fork() off?

Pardon?  I did indeed ask for some other people to write to NewTek, but I
didn't post the address or get any response here on the net.  I did get a
polite letter from Kiki Stockhammer repeating what I wrote to her:  that
NewTek had no plans for a stand-alone version.  I knew that, that is why
I was writing, to ask them to.

>Your little letter-writing campaigns tend to annoy people. What are you
                                    ^?  I've never asked anyone to write
to anyone before.  Are you confusing me with someone else?
>trying to do, get on the "Fight Back" TV show list of honor?

Maybe :-)

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

steved@DIALix.oz.au (Steve Doherty) (04/23/91)

I'm interested in buying Imagine in the near future, and I know that
version 1.1 has just been released. Is there an upgrade to the manual
in the works?

I've heard from other Imagine users that the manual is not the best. From what
I've seen of Imagine it is far more intuitive than Sculpt but I'd like to be
sure of a decent manual with examples and tutorials before taking the plunge.

Has anyone got any comments? What about "Imagine Companion"?

Steve,