[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Dpaint III bug on B2000

muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au (Murray Chapman) (04/13/91)

Hi there

All those people out there you envy B2000 (and the like) owners for the
1Mb of Chip RAM, take note:

Dpaint III disables the "Animate" menu on my B2000, probably because it
sees no fast RAM and assumes a 512K system....

I have heard that Caligari suffers from the same misapprehension.

Anyone got an e-mail adddres for EA bug reports????

+^o^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-+-o-+
|   | Murray Chapman                          muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au       |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
|   | University of Queensland      "I'd rather have a bottle in front |   |
| o | St Lucia, Queenland            of me than a frontal lobotomy"    | o |
|   | AUSTRALIA                               - Mel Brooks             |   |
| o |                                                                  | o |
+^-^+^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-------------+---+
                                                          \__          | o |
                                        Hate that! ----->    +^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (04/20/91)

> Dpaint III disables the "Animate" menu on my B2000, probably because it
> sees no fast RAM and assumes a 512K system....

  Dpaint needs fast ram to animate, period.  I do not believe the program
is assuming a 512k system.  Perhaps this is an ideal way for the programmer
to allocate memory in such a way that it does not hog memory (chip ram)
that can be used by other applications (being executed at the same time).
What do I know??  :->

Derek Lang<<<<<    |
ACPS1072@Ryerson   |    "My other computer is an Amiga."
Toronto, ON        |    - the perfect way to cause trouble at MACWORLD expos.
Canada             |

stephane@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Stephane Guillard) (04/23/91)

In article <91110.153221ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:

>> Dpaint III disables the "Animate" menu on my B2000, probably because it
>> sees no fast RAM and assumes a 512K system....
>
>  Dpaint needs fast ram to animate, period.  I do not believe the program

   You're wrong, period. DPaint needs to 'see' fast ram, that's all.
   I've myself ran into the same problem a few months ago and I've solved
   it by the following means : I've written with a friend of mine a small
   (200 bytes in asm) util called chip2fast, which AllocAbs'es the desired
   amount of Chip at the desired address, and freelists it with the FAST
   qualifier. You use it like, say, chip2fast 80000 fe7ff, and the
   80000-fe7ff Chip ram is then seen by the system as FAST, and you can
   animate with DPAINT for instance.

   Note : chip2fast was not written for this sole purpose : a few years ago
   I owned one of the 'daughterboarded' A1000 w/512k total RAM ; I drawn
   the original schematics for adding 512K to this machine (what seems
   to be quoted sometimes nowadays by here...) ; the problem was that
   my 1000 was convinced it had 1MChip, although it only had 512KChip/512K
   FalseFast (same as C0xxx.. in an A501). Thus we written this in order
   for the 1000 not to try to AllocRaster in this zone... amongst other
   things.

--
 \\\  Only Amiga    | Stephane GUILLARD - GRASP INSA Lyon FRANCE
  \\\   makes it    | Tel: +33 72438383 poste 5546