[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Paint programs that can read ilbm files 1728 x 1100

chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) (04/10/91)

Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very large
ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that are 1728 by
about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.  But now I need a
paint program that's capable of editing such a large beast.

       *                        *                        *
                                                            \|/
               *           _______                         --O--
                      ____/ KC1VP \____        *            /|\
 *             ______/  (203) 389-8680 \______
        ______/   Eggplant Software Tools     \________
 ______/  95 Fountain Terr., New Haven, CT, USA, 06515 \_______
/ Chris Hind Genly    chris@genly.uucp   uunet!hsi!genly!chris \

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/10/91)

In article <chris.2310@genly.UUCP> chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) writes:

>Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very large
>ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that are 1728 by
>about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.  But now I need a
>paint program that's capable of editing such a large beast.
>
>       *                        *                        *
>                                                            \|/
>               *           _______                         --O--
>                      ____/ KC1VP \____        *            /|\
> *             ______/  (203) 389-8680 \______
>        ______/   Eggplant Software Tools     \________
> ______/  95 Fountain Terr., New Haven, CT, USA, 06515 \_______
>/ Chris Hind Genly    chris@genly.uucp   uunet!hsi!genly!chris \

	Deluxe PhotoLab will read in superbitmaps limited only
	by the amount of fast ram you have. It handles everything
	from lo-res 1 bit-plane up to HAM interlace.
	Check it out. It's been advertised as Free with the
	purchace of Deluxe Video. Don't let that fact fool you.
	It's a neat paint program with plenty of features.
	I only wish EA would continue with it and add more
	features. BTW, Deluxe PhotoLab comes with 2 other
	programs. Posters, to make multipage posters from
	postage stamp size to big enough to cover your
	living room wall and Colors, an image processor
	program.

	For strictly HAM, I believe Digi-Paint will do
	1008x1008, but I could be wrong.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/11/91)

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) writes:

> In article <chris.2310@genly.UUCP> chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) writes
> >
> >Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very larg
> >ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that are 1728 by
> >about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.  But now I need a
> >paint program that's capable of editing such a large beast.
>
> 	Deluxe PhotoLab will read in superbitmaps limited only
> 	by the amount of fast ram you have. It handles everything
> 	from lo-res 1 bit-plane up to HAM interlace.
>
> 	For strictly HAM, I believe Digi-Paint will do
> 	1008x1008, but I could be wrong.

Dpaint III will load in bitmaps limited only by RAM also I believe.
I know I loaded in a 2048X2048 Hi-res image and had no problems
editing it.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (04/11/91)

In article <chris.2310@genly.UUCP- chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) writes:
-
-Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very large
-ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that are 1728 by
-about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.  But now I need a
-paint program that's capable of editing such a large beast.
-
-       *                        *                        *
-                                                            \|/
-               *           _______                         --O--
-                      ____/ KC1VP \____        *            /|\
- *             ______/  (203) 389-8680 \______
-        ______/   Eggplant Software Tools     \________
- ______/  95 Fountain Terr., New Haven, CT, USA, 06515 \_______
-/ Chris Hind Genly    chris@genly.uucp   uunet!hsi!genly!chris \

I beleive that the name of the program is ExpressPaint or something
like it. It exists a program that can use huge bitmap's, anyway.

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (04/13/91)

>-Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very large
>-ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that are 1728 by
>-about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.  But now I need a
>-paint program that's capable of editing such a large beast.

Deluxe Photolab can take humongous bitmaps. Express paint does not have this
feature as far as I know..

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) (04/13/91)

>Chris Genly:
>
>Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very
>large ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that
>are 1728 by about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.
>But now I need a paint program that's capable of editing such a large
>beast.
>

>Ray Jender:
>
>Deluxe PhotoLab will read in superbitmaps limited only
>by the amount of fast ram you have. It handles everything
>from lo-res 1 bit-plane up to HAM interlace.
>
>For strictly HAM, I believe Digi-Paint will do
>1008x1008, but I could be wrong.
>

>Bob Lindabury:
>
>Dpaint III will load in bitmaps limited only by RAM also I believe.
>I know I loaded in a 2048X2048 Hi-res image and had no problems
>editing it.

Thanks for all the replies.

I called EA about Deluxe Paint III.  They said the latest rev is 3.25.  They
also said the largest bitmap it can handle is 1008x1024.

I received mail about Express Paint.  The sender kindly sent me the address
and phone number of the company that wrote it, Professional Automation
Resources.  Their phone has been disconnected.  I assume they are out of
business.

I called several mail order houses about Deluxe Photo lab.  None of them
carry it any longer.  It appears Deluxe Photo lab is no longer distributed.

       *                    *                       *
                                                            \|/

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/13/91)

chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) writes:

> >Chris Genly:
> >
> >Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very
> >large ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that
> >are 1728 by about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.
> >But now I need a paint program that's capable of editing such a large
> >beast.
> >

> >Ray Jender:
> >
> >Deluxe PhotoLab will read in superbitmaps limited only
> >by the amount of fast ram you have. It handles everything
> >from lo-res 1 bit-plane up to HAM interlace.
> >
> >For strictly HAM, I believe Digi-Paint will do
> >1008x1008, but I could be wrong.
> >

> >Bob Lindabury:
> >
> >Dpaint III will load in bitmaps limited only by RAM also I believe.
> >I know I loaded in a 2048X2048 Hi-res image and had no problems
> >editing it.
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> I called EA about Deluxe Paint III.  They said the latest rev is 3.25.  They
> also said the largest bitmap it can handle is 1008x1024.

Ah...I beg to differ with the EA rep and the above.  I am right now
*IN* Dpaint III and have changed my page size to 2048x2048 without a
problem.  This is a *scrolling* bitmap.  You CAN'T see the whole
thing at once on the screen unless you do a "show page" command but
it is still there.  I have worked on SEVERAL bitmaps this large and
in fact used them for some video productions.  I had some large
spread sheets that I had to convert for video use so I used a Times
font and entered in the columns and rows on a 2048x2048 size page (in
2 color mode).  We then had a programmer friend of ours write a small
program to read in the bitmap and scroll it around (double-buffered
of course) controllable via a joystick so that we could interactivly
move *smoothly* to the correct information as the narration droned on.

It IS possible to have even larger bitmaps I believe.  I have yet to
try anything larger...hold on a sec...Ok..I just tried a 4000X2000
page size and the only reason it wouldn't give it to me is because I
didn't have enough ram.  I got a requestor that said, "Not enough RAM
for requested page size".  This indicates to me that if you had more
ram than I have (which is 5 megs total) you can have probably up to
8k by 8k pages...maybe someone knows exactly what the limit is but I
haven't had a need to go larger than 2048x2048.

> I received mail about Express Paint.  The sender kindly sent me the address
> and phone number of the company that wrote it, Professional Automation
> Resources.  Their phone has been disconnected.  I assume they are out of
> business.
>
> I called several mail order houses about Deluxe Photo lab.  None of them
> carry it any longer.  It appears Deluxe Photo lab is no longer distributed.

I guess that leaves only one choice..good 'ol Dpaint III which not
even the EA reps know the capabilities of...ARGH!

briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) (04/14/91)

In article <L2gc119w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) writes:
>
>> >Chris Genly:
>> >
>> >Does anyone know of a paint program which is capable of reading in very
>> >large ilbm files?  I have files from the output of a fax program that
>> >are 1728 by about 1100 pixels.  I can convert them into an ilbm file.
>> >But now I need a paint program that's capable of editing such a large
>> >beast.
>> >

>> >Bob Lindabury:
>> >
>> >Dpaint III will load in bitmaps limited only by RAM also I believe.
>> >I know I loaded in a 2048X2048 Hi-res image and had no problems
>> >editing it.
>>

>> I called EA about Deluxe Paint III.  They said the latest rev is 3.25.  They
>> also said the largest bitmap it can handle is 1008x1024.
>
>Ah...I beg to differ with the EA rep and the above.  I am right now
>*IN* Dpaint III and have changed my page size to 2048x2048 without a
>problem.  This is a *scrolling* bitmap.  You CAN'T see the whole
>thing at once on the screen unless you do a "show page" command but
>it is still there.  I have worked on SEVERAL bitmaps this large and

I just loaded up Deluxe Paint III version 3.01 and it allowed me to enter
the numbers for a 2000x2000 or 4000x4000 page size, but if I re-enter the
page size requester I find the values have been set to 1008x1024.  Looks to
me like DPIII is not letting me use a larger bitmap.  I've been unable to
load bitmaps (2 color, lo-res) larger than 1008x1024 in the past.  My
version seems to work like the EA rep said.

Brian.

  Brian Gragg    briang@sdd.hp.com   hp-sdd!briang  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!briang

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/14/91)

briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) writes:

> >> I called EA about Deluxe Paint III.  They said the latest rev is 3.25.  Th
> >> also said the largest bitmap it can handle is 1008x1024.
> >
> >Ah...I beg to differ with the EA rep and the above.  I am right now
> >*IN* Dpaint III and have changed my page size to 2048x2048 without a
> >problem.  This is a *scrolling* bitmap.  You CAN'T see the whole
> >thing at once on the screen unless you do a "show page" command but
> >it is still there.  I have worked on SEVERAL bitmaps this large and
>
> I just loaded up Deluxe Paint III version 3.01 and it allowed me to enter
> the numbers for a 2000x2000 or 4000x4000 page size, but if I re-enter the
> page size requester I find the values have been set to 1008x1024.  Looks to
> me like DPIII is not letting me use a larger bitmap.  I've been unable to
> load bitmaps (2 color, lo-res) larger than 1008x1024 in the past.  My
> version seems to work like the EA rep said.
>
> Brian.

Not to be a bore or anything but if you look at the first line the
first author states that the *latest* version of DpaintIII is 3.25.
You have a *very* old version and it does NOT allow larger bitmaps
than 1008x1024.  You MUST have version 3.25.  Read my lips VER 3.25.

I guess alot of people only read between the lines. <grin>

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr13.235958.8558@sdd.hp.com>, briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) writes:
> [...]

Look at ExpressPaint.  It will have no problems working on a file that "small".
I've heard of a user editing a pixel image of a laser output (8.5x11 at 300
dpi).  The author (Dr. Stephen Vermeulen) is on the net for detailed questions:
(svermeulen@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA).

Disclaimer:  I know the author but have no financial association with his
products.
--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) (04/15/91)

>> I called EA about Deluxe Paint III.  They said the latest rev is 3.25.  They
>> also said the largest bitmap it can handle is 1008x1024.
>
>Ah...I beg to differ with the EA rep and the above.  I am right now
>*IN* Dpaint III and have changed my page size to 2048x2048 without a
>problem.
>I guess that leaves only one choice..good 'ol Dpaint III which not
>even the EA reps know the capabilities of...ARGH!
>
>-- Bob

I believe you.  The supporting text was very helpful.

I wasn't very happy with EA's handling of my questions.  They transferred me
to their dpaint expert.  He didn't seem so expert to me though.

On to my next question.  I have tried dpaint version 3.01 and it crashes
the Amiga.  What rev of dpaint are you using?

I was intending to ask EA what rev started handling large bitmaps.  But since
their answer was that it couldn't, I didn't ask.

      *                        *                        *
                                                            \|/

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (04/19/91)

In article <L2gc119w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>It IS possible to have even larger bitmaps I believe.  I have yet to
>try anything larger...hold on a sec...Ok..I just tried a 4000X2000
>page size and the only reason it wouldn't give it to me is because I
>didn't have enough ram.  I got a requestor that said, "Not enough RAM
>for requested page size".  This indicates to me that if you had more
>ram than I have (which is 5 megs total) you can have probably up to
>8k by 8k pages...maybe someone knows exactly what the limit is but I
>haven't had a need to go larger than 2048x2048.
>
>I guess that leaves only one choice..good 'ol Dpaint III which not
>even the EA reps know the capabilities of...ARGH!

Well, shut my mouth and fill it full of chitlins!  I just tried 2Kx2K in 8
colors and it worked.  I was also able to get 3000x3000 in b/w.  Takes a while
to scroll around bitmaps that big, but this will be great for DTP work!  Cool!

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr19.145314.955@truevision.com> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
>In article <L2gc119w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>>It IS possible to have even larger bitmaps I believe.  I have yet to
>>try anything larger...hold on a sec...Ok..I just tried a 4000X2000
>>page size and the only reason it wouldn't give it to me is because I
>>didn't have enough ram.  I got a requestor that said, "Not enough RAM
>>for requested page size".  This indicates to me that if you had more
>>ram than I have (which is 5 megs total) you can have probably up to
>>8k by 8k pages...maybe someone knows exactly what the limit is but I
>>haven't had a need to go larger than 2048x2048.
>>
>>I guess that leaves only one choice..good 'ol Dpaint III which not
>>even the EA reps know the capabilities of...ARGH!
>
>Well, shut my mouth and fill it full of chitlins!  I just tried 2Kx2K in 8
>colors and it worked.  I was also able to get 3000x3000 in b/w.  Takes a while
>to scroll around bitmaps that big, but this will be great for DTP work!  Cool!

I bought dpaint 3.25 on the basis of the replies to my question on the net.
Not on the basis of the answers I got from EA.  DPAINT is just what I
wanted.  I'm able to edit my fax files just fine.  Thanks very much for
the help.

       *                        *                        *
                                                            \|/

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/21/91)

chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) writes:

> I bought dpaint 3.25 on the basis of the replies to my question on the net.
> Not on the basis of the answers I got from EA.  DPAINT is just what I
> wanted.  I'm able to edit my fax files just fine.  Thanks very much for
> the help.

Happy to be of service.  I just can't believe these people (EA)
didn't know that Dpaint could do large bitmaps.  It's great to know
there is a source here for *good* information, eh?

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr14.122341.7590@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca> ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) writes:

>Look at ExpressPaint.  It will have no problems working on a file that "small".
>I've heard of a user editing a pixel image of a laser output (8.5x11 at 300
>dpi).  The author (Dr. Stephen Vermeulen) is on the net for detailed questions:
>(svermeulen@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA).
>
>Disclaimer:  I know the author but have no financial association with his
>products.
>--
>        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
>Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430
>B.C. Systems Corp., 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria, B.C., Canada, V8X 4S8

	Since the author is on the net, please tell us if there
	are any plans on enhancing or upgrading ExpressPaint 3.0.
	I really like the program.