[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] PostScript Help

gad@linac.fnal.gov (Greg A. Deuerling) (04/16/91)

Hello,  I hope some one out there can help me.
I have a DPaint picture I want to print out on a laser printer at work.
The laser printers we have are hooked up to Apples (yuck) or VMS
machines (double yuck).  Question:  Is there any PD or commercial soft-
ware that will convert this IFF picture into a Postscript file ???  And
once it is a Postscript file how do I print it out from a Apple or a VMS
machine ???  Any help and or tips will be much apprieciated.

					Thanks.

					gad

=	     Greg Deuerling, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory	      =
=	   P.O.Box 500   MS#127  Batavia, Il  60510   1(708)840-4629          =
= 			    Computer R&D Group				      =
=		            gad@linac.fnal.gov				      =

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (04/17/91)

There's a program called iff2ps which converts IFF pictures into PostScript.
PostScript files are plain text, so you upload them to whichever machine
you want to print from, and then print it. How you print it in such a way
that the print spooler knows to print it as PostScript and not as a lines
of text is a different question. Most likely there's an option to the
print command to specify PostScript (default is most likely plain text).

      Willy.

PS: Oh, the iff2ps program can be found on Fish disk 94.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (04/17/91)

In article <UK#_PA-5_@linac.fnal.gov>, gad@linac.fnal.gov (Greg A. Deuerling) writes...

>Hello,  I hope some one out there can help me.
>I have a DPaint picture I want to print out on a laser printer at work.
>The laser printers we have are hooked up to Apples (yuck) or VMS
>machines (double yuck).  Question:  Is there any PD or commercial soft-
>ware that will convert this IFF picture into a Postscript file ???  And

Dplaz will do it.  I think you can find it on ab20.larc.nasa.gov.  If not,
send me email.
	John		yurkon@msunscl.bitnet

johhog@cia.docs.uu.se (Johan H|gberg) (04/22/91)

In <UK#_PA-5_@linac.fnal.gov> gad@linac.fnal.gov (Greg A. Deuerling) writes:

>Hello,  I hope some one out there can help me.
>I have a DPaint picture I want to print out on a laser printer at work.
>The laser printers we have are hooked up to Apples (yuck) or VMS
>machines (double yuck).  Question:  Is there any PD or commercial soft-
>ware that will convert this IFF picture into a Postscript file ???  And
>once it is a Postscript file how do I print it out from a Apple or a VMS
>machine ???  Any help and or tips will be much apprieciated.

>					Thanks.

>					gad

I haven't done this by myself but I'm pretty sure that PageStream can do this.
You will have to import the IFF picture to the dokument and print it out as
postscript.
At my work I have been printing out postscript files by sending them to the
devices LN02_PS or LN06_PS. Of course they don't have to have this names at
your VMS system but I would suggest that you make "show queue *" and see for
yourself what queues you have to your printers.
Maybe Aldus Freehand to Machintosh can read a postscript file...just a guess.

/Johan

slassini@convex.cl.msu.edu (lassini stefano) (04/23/91)

johhog@cia.docs.uu.se (Johan H|gberg) writes:

>In <UK#_PA-5_@linac.fnal.gov> gad@linac.fnal.gov (Greg A. Deuerling) writes:

>>Hello,  I hope some one out there can help me.
>>I have a DPaint picture I want to print out on a laser printer at work.
>>The laser printers we have are hooked up to Apples (yuck) or VMS
>>machines (double yuck).  Question:  Is there any PD or commercial soft-
>>ware that will convert this IFF picture into a Postscript file ???  And
>>once it is a Postscript file how do I print it out from a Apple or a VMS
>>machine ???  Any help and or tips will be much apprieciated.

>>					Thanks.

>>					gad

>I haven't done this by myself but I'm pretty sure that PageStream can do this.
>You will have to import the IFF picture to the dokument and print it out as
>postscript.
>At my work I have been printing out postscript files by sending them to the
>devices LN02_PS or LN06_PS. Of course they don't have to have this names at
>your VMS system but I would suggest that you make "show queue *" and see for
>yourself what queues you have to your printers.
>Maybe Aldus Freehand to Machintosh can read a postscript file...just a guess.
>
>/Johan
Without resorting to PageStream it is possible to use a PD thingie
called iff2ps... I used it to send some IFF files to our laserwriter][
thru the network and it worked fine. I do not remember exactly where I
got it, but a quick guess would be to ftp to ab20.larc.nasa.gov and
snoop around.

As far as printing, probably the easiest [it could be the only] way to
do so is to copy the file to one of the machines that are connected to
the printer [if everything fails try a kermit file transfer or the such]
and then follow the machine-specific instructions.

Hope this answer your question.

		     Stefano Lassini
		     slassini@convex.cl.msu.edu

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.001139.6507@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> slassini@convex.cl.msu.edu (lassini stefano) writes:
>johhog@cia.docs.uu.se (Johan H|gberg) writes:

>>In <UK#_PA-5_@linac.fnal.gov> gad@linac.fnal.gov (Greg A. Deuerling) writes:
>>>Hello,  I hope some one out there can help me.
>>>I have a DPaint picture I want to print out on a laser printer at work.
>
>>I haven't done this by myself but I'm pretty sure that PageStream can do this.
>>
>Without resorting to PageStream it is possible to use a PD thingie
>called iff2ps... I used it to send some IFF files to our laserwriter][

However, if you have Pagestream, you will have:

1) a better chance of getting the printer to print the results, as our
   Laserwriter has handled everything that Pagestream produces, whereas
   iff2ps only handles about 60% of my stuff.

2) the ability to have Pagestream create an 'object' at a specified
   resolution out of the IFF file which can then be rotated, resized,
   etc. with excellent results.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
                  "Duct Tape is like the Force...
It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it holds the Universe together"

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (04/24/91)

In article <johhog.672326723@cia.docs.uu.se>, johhog@cia.docs.uu.se (Johan H|gberg) wrote:
>In <UK#_PA-5_@linac.fnal.gov> gad@linac.fnal.gov (Greg A. Deuerling) writes:
>>I have a DPaint picture I want to print out on a laser printer at work.
>>The laser printers we have are hooked up to Apples (yuck) or VMS
>
>I haven't done this by myself but I'm pretty sure that PageStream can do this.
>You will have to import the IFF picture to the dokument and print it out as
>postscript.

	Okay, I have the reverse problem. I am getting either 386s or A3000/16s
For the College Publications office. Now previously all this stuff was (is!)
done on Mac pluses, so all there are commonly available are Mac PS printers.
Can Pagestream or ProPage output a PS file that I could, say, convert into
MS-DOS format, take over using Apple File Exchange and print as a PS file. Or
even, (help!) is there an easier way?

Thanks.

p.s. we have a HP Laserjet III as well, but that can't get connected directly
to any Amigas (its on a 3Com network). Anyone got any ideas. I'd obviously
prefer the Amiga solution, but I may have to go 386.

--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## We're dying from the moment we're conceived,
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	Time wins, always.