[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] GIF viewer

tony@UC780.UMD.EDU (Tony Murray) (03/13/91)

Hi.

Can anyone point me towards a GIF viewer for the Amiga?
I've looked at GIFMachine from a Fish disk, but it's
designed for a specific type of image processing and
takes an average of 30 minutes to display one GIF image.

Thanks.
--Tony (tmurray@uc780.umd.edu)

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (03/14/91)

tony@ni.umd.edu (Tony) writes...
>Can anyone point me towards a GIF viewer for the Amiga?

Well first of all, although its said that GIFs are intended for all machines,
the Amiga was never really intended to show GIFs.  GIFs always take quite a
bit of time to show on the screen (although I think 30 minutes is a bit
ridiculous, usually its 1 to 3 minutes).  There is a GIF viewer called
VirtGIF 2.0 that is Shareware which is fairly quick and scrolls around the
screen for non-standard Amiga resolutions.  But the preferable thing to do is
to convert the GIF to a HAM using a program such as HamSharp (PD or
Shareware, I forget which).  This may take a while (8-10 minutes) but once
its done you can view the HAM in a split second anytime you want.

     __
    |__) _   __  GEnie:  R.EARL4
    | \ (_) (_/   UUCP:  roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca
            _/

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (03/15/91)

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:

[ Problems viewing GIF files directly on an Amiga... ]

< But the preferable thing to do is
< to convert the GIF to a HAM using a program such as HamSharp (PD or
< Shareware, I forget which).  This may take a while (8-10 minutes) but once
< its done you can view the HAM in a split second anytime you want.

I tried HamSharp, but I have found the new (?) HamLab 1.1 to be far
superior.  I only have the demo version (which is only limited in the
size of the bitmaps it supports), and it has given me results that I
thought were impossible on a standard Amiga.  It supports scaling,
cropping, color correction, several flavors of dithering, and can
output HAM or SHAM files, including superbitmaps of both.  It also
supports several other file formats for input, including the PPM, PGM,
and PBM intermediate formats used by the pbmplus tools.

Not only this, but the sucker is FAST!  A 320x400 GIF-to-HAM
translation, WITH dithering, takes about 30-40 seconds on my 2500/20.

Short of buying TAD or ADPro (which obviously do MUCH more than what
this program does), this is the best XXXX-to-HAM converter I have seen.
I am definitely going to register this puppy.

BTW, the demo version can be found on disk #466 in the Fred Fish library.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /|__|\__/|__|\
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          | |              |     Where does he get

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (04/24/91)

Where can I obtain a good speedy GIF viewer and a GIF-to-IFF converter?
I've been making do with "VirtGIF" but it is painfully slow...
Any recommendations?

/ Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu \
| DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT. Kei and Yuri                 ||   //        ||
|             forced me to say it.                            || \X/  AMIGA  ||
\========= "Oh, I'm just a NO-OP in the instruction set of Life..." ==========/

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (04/25/91)

In article <91114.020136MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Where can I obtain a good speedy GIF viewer and a GIF-to-IFF converter?
>I've been making do with "VirtGIF" but it is painfully slow...
>Any recommendations?

I've used a viewer called "Giffy2" or somesuch, which as I recall, is somewhat
speedier than VirtGIF.  Generally, I just use HamSharp to convert it to IFF.
Not spectacularly fast, but you only have to do it once.  Also works well
on a 1-meg machine.

HamSharp is on ab20.larc.nasa.gov.  Check FILES.Z for the location.
Giffy2 might be there to, but why bother?

--
Dave Schaumann      | We're so sorry, Uncle Albert.  But the kettle's
dave@cs.arizona.edu | on the boil, and we're so *easly* called away...