[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Net jabbing

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/21/91)

In a message From: mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson)

>In article <yorkw.671997155@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>>What's these ad's i've see for hooking the toster to a VCR?
>
>What a grammatical nightmare. Do actually talk like this or do you just
should this read "Do you actually...?"^^                 ^^ where's the comma?

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

>>Ad what's the "real" info on the toster 3d ray tracing ability
>>I've used it, it's fast, but i hear it cheats.
>
>Lightwave is NOT a ray-tracer. It is one of the most capable 3D renderers
>available on any personal computer. What do you mean by "it cheats"?
>Please be more specific. What "real" info are you looking for?

Please be kind, Mark.  Obviously some folks aren't as familiar with the 3D
techniques of rendering as they might be.  As a strict matter of fact, Light
Wave DOES use ray-tracing techniques to create shadow.  It is not strictly a
ray-tracer, but it does give that appearance to those less familiar with the
medium.  I believe the Mr. York is referring to the method that LW DOES use
as a "cheat" as compared to true ray-tracing.  And although this is not
precisely the case, it does indicate a desire to understand the difference.

Oh, one other thing.  I almost exclusively use my home computer to type these
messages and keep up on the news.  However, depending in the weather, I often
have problems with letters being lost through the phone lines.  I do not
suggest that this is the only reason for Mr. York's missing, letters.  I only
respectfully request that we refrain from attacking someone's typing ability,
grammar control, or spelling until perfection in the electronic world exists.
:-)

BTW, Mark, do you want any more 24 bit pics?  I've sent one to MAST that they
say they might use in their ads (it's the candy one) or demo.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr20.193612.1866@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
> In a message From: mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson)
>
> >What a grammatical nightmare. Do actually talk like this or do you just
> should this read "Do you actually...?"^^                 ^^ where's the comma?
>
> "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

;-) hahaha, ya caught me.

> Please be kind, Mark.  Obviously some folks aren't as familiar with the 3D
> techniques of rendering as they might be.

My wife says I've been a little cranky lately. Comes from 5 straight weeks
of getting less than 6 hours of sleep. Its now over though, at 3:30am this
morning, I cranked out the 1065th and final frame of my animation for Siggraph.
Todd Rundgren may have done 7000 frames, but he had 10 Amigas...dare to dream.
I should have them on video disk by this weekend. So my humble apologies
for a grotesquely harsh attitude.

> BTW, Mark, do you want any more 24 bit pics?  I've sent one to MAST that they
> say they might use in their ads (it's the candy one) or demo.

Not right now I'm afraid. As you may have gathered from the above, I've just
about max'd out my mass storage. MAST snarfed up my 'Blender' image also.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr20.193612.1866@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>In a message From: mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson)
>
>>In article <yorkw.671997155@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>>>What's these ad's i've see for hooking the toster to a VCR?
>>
>>What a grammatical nightmare. Do actually talk like this or do you just
>should this read "Do you actually...?"^^                 ^^ where's the comma?
>
>"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
>
>>>Ad what's the "real" info on the toster 3d ray tracing ability
>>>I've used it, it's fast, but i hear it cheats.
>>
>>Lightwave is NOT a ray-tracer. It is one of the most capable 3D renderers
>>available on any personal computer. What do you mean by "it cheats"?
>>Please be more specific. What "real" info are you looking for?
>
>Please be kind, Mark.  Obviously some folks aren't as familiar with the 3D
>techniques of rendering as they might be.  As a strict matter of fact, Light
>Wave DOES use ray-tracing techniques to create shadow.  It is not strictly a
^^^^^^

  Is this another case of words altered by technology? Isn't Lightwave all
one word?!!! I was careful not to make any speling mitsakes :).

>ray-tracer, but it does give that appearance to those less familiar with the
>medium.  I believe the Mr. York is referring to the method that LW DOES use
>as a "cheat" as compared to true ray-tracing.  And although this is not
>precisely the case, it does indicate a desire to understand the difference.
>
>Oh, one other thing.  I almost exclusively use my home computer to type these
>messages and keep up on the news.  However, depending in the weather, I often
>have problems with letters being lost through the phone lines.  I do not
>suggest that this is the only reason for Mr. York's missing, letters.  I only
>respectfully request that we refrain from attacking someone's typing ability,
>grammar control, or spelling until perfection in the electronic world exists.
>:-)

  Too bad my teachers don't buy it! :)

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.