[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Iff on Xwindows

s8922967@ipc05.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) (04/17/91)

Does anyone know of the avaliablity of an Xwindow Iff file viewer?
I actually have Iff(2|to)Sun from fish223 to convert to rasterfile,
and Am2Gif to use to produce stuff that I can use 'xgif' on to view
on the IPCs here, but Am2Gif is annoying in that it spews at Dpaint
DPPS chunks in a file, and thus I have to waste time going thru
Vdraw (fish 50 something (54?)) to get rid of them. Gif isn't too
bad I suppose as it seems to have good compression (some 640x200x4plane
pics by Patrick Nagel around 30K on IFF took around 10K on gif) - LZW
I think.

Murray Gilbert			s8922967@ipc01.mqcs.mq.oz.au

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/18/91)

In article <1493@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> (Murray John GILBERT) writes:
>Does anyone know of the avaliablity of an Xwindow Iff file viewer?
>I actually have Iff(2|to)Sun from fish223 to convert to rasterfile,
>and Am2Gif to use to produce stuff that I can use 'xgif' on to view
>Murray Gilbert			s8922967@ipc01.mqcs.mq.oz.au

You could use the PbmPlus programs.
ifftoppm <file.ilbm >file.ppm
ppmtoxwd <file.ppm >file.xwd
xwud -in file.xwd

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

32KKG6I@CMUVM.BITNET (Jim Getzinger) (04/27/91)

You could also use the program "xv".  It is easily expandable to suit
almost any picture format.  All that is required is that the picture
be read into a buffer (or array...) and that you tell xv what the depth,
width, and height of the picture are.

I use it on my Sun with a modification for a local format we use.  It
lets you read GIF, PBM, and X bitmaps, and allows you to save these as
well.  Thus it could also be used as a conversion utility.

The source should be available at any comp.windows.x archive.  If you
do not have access to FTP, reply and I'll send a you a uuencoded
version through mail.

Jim.

Jim Getzinger           |"Dammit Jim! We're PROGRAMMERS, not MAGICIANS!"
  G.A & Sys-admin       | Graduate Assistants:
32KKG6I@CMUVM.BITNET    |     "The few... the proud... the underpaid."