[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Promises, Promises: ColorBurst=Vapor?

njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) (04/24/91)

	It has been months since MAST declared that ColorBurst would be
released.  Supposedly for the price of DCTV an amiga user could buy colorburst
and get a 24 bit graphics adapter [card?].  Well, I am sure Amiga users
around the world are waiting... so could anyone who has some info please
post!!!!!!

						Thank You!

--
==============|njg2@po.cwru.edu|J.Norell Guttman|ClassCWRU'94|=================
Ugh....	  	  ["Life ain't nothing but bitches and money" - {N.W.A.}    //

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.164515.20482@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) writes:

>	It has been months since MAST declared that ColorBurst would be
>released.  Supposedly for the price of DCTV an amiga user could buy colorburst
>and get a 24 bit graphics adapter [card?].  Well, I am sure Amiga users
>around the world are waiting... so could anyone who has some info please
>post!!!!!!

	Well, according to the MAST BBS, it's been delayed again.
	They don't give a reason. Now we all know the last status
	was that it was in FCC. Could it have failed FCC? What does
	that mean if it does fail? If it did'nt fail, I would expect
	it to be hitting the streets soon, but now this delay.
	Was it really in FCC? Or is all the delay due to waiting
	for $$$$ from the European PAL version that was released?
	My initial plans were to purchace something later this year.
	Either DCTV, HAM-E, or ColorBurst, but I'm getting itchy
	and don't know if I can hold off, in which case MAST will
	end up a definate loser....

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.171320.2207@cbnewsd.att.com> rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) writes:

>	Well, according to the MAST BBS, it's been delayed again.
>	They don't give a reason. Now we all know the last status
>	was that it was in FCC. Could it have failed FCC? What does
>	that mean if it does fail? If it did'nt fail, I would expect
>	it to be hitting the streets soon, but now this delay.
>	Was it really in FCC? Or is all the delay due to waiting
>	for $$$$ from the European PAL version that was released?
>	My initial plans were to purchace something later this year.
>	Either DCTV, HAM-E, or ColorBurst, but I'm getting itchy
>	and don't know if I can hold off, in which case MAST will
>	end up a definate loser....

WHAT?? A Mast product not shipping when it's supposed to? <gasp> What
  a surprise!

It's always possible that MAST has changed their ways, but I'll go out on
  a limb here and give an opinion: if you see an ad for something cool from
  MAST, turn the page and forget about it.  They have never shipped
  anything but the Fireball SCSI controller, as far as I know (and boy is it
  a winner).  Anybody remember the Infinity Machine?  Its progress sounded
  a lot like the Colorburst's.  Delay, delay, and still more delay, until
  it finally just faded into the past.

Don't worry about the Colorburst: it will never be released.  Ever.

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/25/91)

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) writes:
>	Well, according to the MAST BBS, it's been delayed again.
>	They don't give a reason. Now we all know the last status
>	was that it was in FCC. Could it have failed FCC? What does
>	that mean if it does fail? If it did'nt fail, I would expect
>	it to be hitting the streets soon, but now this delay.

I have no idea about Colorburst, but you can visit almost any computer
group and find that the FCC is running behind on _everything_.  And
worse, may be taking very close second looks at video cards especially.

A company I work with, for example, passed their lab tests almost six
months ago, and are _still_ waiting for the paperwork to get thru FCC.

The whole industry is suffering from this right now.
 - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

tsarna@cub (Tyler Sarna) (04/25/91)

In article <11883@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> of comp.sys.amiga.graphics,
Bill Gribble <bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu> writes:

> WHAT?? A Mast product not shipping when it's supposed to? <gasp> What
>   a surprise!

What a shock! ;-)

> It's always possible that MAST has changed their ways, but I'll go out on
>   a limb here and give an opinion: if you see an ad for something cool from
>   MAST, turn the page and forget about it.  They have never shipped
>   anything but the Fireball SCSI controller, as far as I know (and boy is it
>   a winner).  Anybody remember the Infinity Machine?  Its progress sounded
>   a lot like the Colorburst's.  Delay, delay, and still more delay, until
>   it finally just faded into the past.

Of course we all know what the "Infinity" in "Infinity Machine"
stands (stood) for: The length of the delay before release. ;-)

> Don't worry about the Colorburst: it will never be released.  Ever.

Well, I am somewhat optimistic, given that the hardware wasn't
designed by MAST. On the other hand, what person in their right
mind would ever use MAST to distribute their product?

--
Tyler "Ty" Sarna                         tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu

      "I protest Captain! I am NOT a merry man!" -- Lt. Worf

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/25/91)

In a message From: bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble)

>In article <1991Apr24.171320.2207@cbnewsd.att.com> rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) writes:
>>
>>	Well, according to the MAST BBS, it's been delayed again.
>>	They don't give a reason. Now we all know the last status
>>	was that it was in FCC. Could it have failed FCC? What does
>>	that mean if it does fail? If it did'nt fail, I would expect
>>	it to be hitting the streets soon, but now this delay.
>>	Was it really in FCC? Or is all the delay due to waiting
>>	for $$$$ from the European PAL version that was released?
>>	My initial plans were to purchace something later this year.
>>	Either DCTV, HAM-E, or ColorBurst, but I'm getting itchy
>>	and don't know if I can hold off, in which case MAST will
>>	end up a definate loser....
>
>WHAT?? A Mast product not shipping when it's supposed to? <gasp> What
>  a surprise!
>
>It's always possible that MAST has changed their ways, but I'll go out on
>  a limb here and give an opinion: if you see an ad for something cool from
>  MAST, turn the page and forget about it.  They have never shipped
>  anything but the Fireball SCSI controller, as far as I know (and boy is it
>  a winner).  Anybody remember the Infinity Machine?  Its progress sounded
>  a lot like the Colorburst's.  Delay, delay, and still more delay, until
>  it finally just faded into the past.
>
>Don't worry about the Colorburst: it will never be released.  Ever.

Here's the latest on the CB.  The PAL version has been shipping for over
a month.  The NTSC version has been in the hands of the FCC since
before Christmas 1990.  The FCC farms out its testing to private companies
who are not very quick or cooperative.  TODAY it goes for Class A testing
and FRIDAY it goes for Class B (which is what MAST is "shooting for").  If
it fails Class B (or A for that matter), they must make adjustments.  They
will make it Class B to release it.  I'm first on the domestic list, so
watch this space (and comp.sys.amiga.reviews) for more info when I get it.

As for the Infinity Machine, it has been shelved after being redesigned for
the 68040.  Once Motorola begins shipping the '040s in decent quantities
(and of course MAST would be low on the list if there are back orders),
they will begin shipping it.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (04/26/91)

> Don't worry about the Colorburst: it will never be released.  Ever.

  Being the optimist that I am....  I somehow doubt that.  If you call up
the MAST BBS you can get a whole bunch of software for the Colorburst
(well ok five maybe more programs) for free! wow!  I would also like to
add that the source code is also available on the board and is free.
The source code which is available is supposed to be updated by a library
similar to a MAC-like Quickdraw (for rectangles, ellipses, etc).
A pretty good chunk of someone's time went into this...  so if it's a big
hoax they're doing a great job of it.

  If you're a programmer like I'm trying to be and want to use 24-bit
or at least >16colors inn hi-res, this might be worth the wait.

  On another note...  Digital Creations did say (at the last Amiga show
in New York) that they would be releasing programming specs on DCTV some
time in the summer or "really soon now".

  Just an opinion...  I really do not care much for the DCTV because the images
are too soft and blurry at times. I think I'll give MAST another month...
then buy whatever is out.  If I had my way I think I'd buy both...  one
for working on the actual renderings (CB) and the other for animating them to
NTSC (DCTV)....  this would save my fading eyesight but would burn a hole in my
wallet.  Sure there's the Toaster for another $500-$1000 but what if I have
no use for the ADO effects???

Derek Lang<<<<<    |
ACPS1072@Ryerson   |    "Any money can be forward to me in Toronto.  :->"
Toronto, ON        |
Canada             |

relsum@ismdqa.intel.com (Reliability Summary ) (04/27/91)

Colourburst is available in Australia. So is your country do not need any
FCC type of approval you can order it directly from down under.

-kkb

kbkoh@a1acc1.intel.com

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (04/29/91)

> Don't worry about the Colorburst: it will never be released.
> Ever.

   I am just amazed at the amount of venom people can spit out.
While I am not in favor of supporting/condoning companies who are
out to take advantage, you would think people would realize that
all this computer technology is in the realm of inventions.  Most
of it has never existed before.  We DON'T KNOW how long it takes
to develop/test/manufacture a new, or revolutionary, or different
piece of hardware or software.  These companies don't have crystal
balls, they have only educated guesses to go on.  If MAST has
their PAL version up and running, they may quite honestly have
believed the NTSC version would follow logically on its heels.
    In addition to this, companies are run by people.  Having
worked with several computer companies I know that most of the
techs have difficulty conveying what they are doing to the
managers, and the managers, with a minimum of technical computer
experience, have difficulty understanding what's involved in
getting a product through its last throes.  It's not that they're
not trying.  It's just that neither has sufficient knowledge of
the other's realm, and you don't get it as easily as sleeping on
your books.
    Give the guys a break, eh?  Mast isn't 'pretending' to be
working on Colorburst.  If they're like most developers, they're
probably sweating 90 hours a week to try to get this out the door
before they completely lose their market to other competitors.
Colorburst isn't Vaporware (press information created to
intentionally deceive people), it's Nearlyware (a product that's
almost done but has various unanticipated hurdles to overcome).

                                     Julie Petersen (LadyHawke)

In article <41781@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>    Give the guys a break, eh?  Mast isn't 'pretending' to be
>working on Colorburst.  If they're like most developers, they're
>probably sweating 90 hours a week to try to get this out the door
>before they completely lose their market to other competitors.
>Colorburst isn't Vaporware (press information created to
>intentionally deceive people), it's Nearlyware (a product that's
>almost done but has various unanticipated hurdles to overcome).
>
>                                     Julie Petersen (LadyHawke)

	And I assume they are sweating 90 hours a week also
working to get the Infinity Machine out the door? Or how about
their Flicker-fixer? I'm sure all that is coming, it's just
delayed. If it were a company besides MAST, I'd agree with you,
but this is just a BAD example.

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"