[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Photo Realistic Rendering

lou@flipper.Corp.Sun.COM (Lou Ordorica - SunU Field T & D) writes:

> Photo Realistic Rendering? It's a term that keeps popping up in
> magazines and product brochures, especially those of the M*c variety.

It means what it sounds like, pictures so realistic that the eye can't
decide whether a camera or a computer created the image.

This implies, in general, no consideration of rendering speed is allowed
to take precedence over a consideration of rendering accuracy, and the most
scientifically valid light, texture, etc. models are used.

As a result, for any practical application, Photo Realistic Rendering is
limited to still images until the hardware speeds go up roughly a
millionfold. (It can typically take 24 hours of highest speed computer
time to render one image.)

> Does the Amiga support PRR via 3rd party software or hardware?

Yes, as does any computer; just keep throwing in more software and RAM
and waiting longer. The Amiga cannot _display_ such images currently;
screen resolutions need to go to about 3K by 4K, and pixel depths to a
minimum of 24 (and for most good algorithms perhaps double that), before
the eye is fooled into ignoring the computer artifacts.

You can nevertheless use the Amiga, just as any general purpose
computer, to compute the images to data files, and then arrange to have
the images transferred to film for a visible image.

> On the same note, is there support for Pixar's Renderman algorithms
> that seem to be rapidly becoming a rendering standard?

"Renderman" _is_ a standard; Pixar's algorithm to perform the actions
standardized in the Renderman applications programmer's interface are
proprietary and likely to stay so forever; they are a valuable corporate
asset.  There have been local mutterings to collectively implement the
Renderman interface, but nothing has come of them; it is a _huge_ project
of the kind that takes highly skilled talent,

Kent, the man from xanth.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/29/91)

You have to remember, high quality 3D renderings are somewhat new on the
Mac platform.  It's only been in the last two years or so that they've had
access to programs that are similar to what we take for granted.

Their first raytracer didn't even do shadows!

Also, something should be noted about PIXAR
's RenderMan.  The RenderMan interface is merely a standard for describing
objects, their attributes, environment, lighting, etc.  It does no
rendering.

PIXAR's rendering engine is called REYES, which stands for Renders
Everything You Ever Saw :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |