[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Burn MACWorld... BURN!

njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) (04/15/91)

	I can not believe it... I was looking through a macworld  [may you
forgive me for my sins] and I noticed they had a thing on Toasters. AHAH!
I cried prematurely ... even the Mac world realizes that the Amiga is
vastly superior and cheaper but to my utter dismay I realize something was
greatly amiss!  MAC world had the chutzpah to write that the toaster is
available for the MAC!!!!!!!!!!!
	Help me! I am about to suffer from a nervous breakdown!

				AMIGA RULEZ

				J.Norell Guttman
				njg2@po.cwru.edu
Ugh....
	My .sig file has been crushed by a 1600 lbs. Case chic!!!
	It will soon be fixed!

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) (04/15/91)

Ah..but yes the Toaster *is* available for the Mac..when you buy the "Toaster
Package" it comes with a toaster inside an Amiga 2000HD..and they throw in
a connector cable so you can export your images from the Mac directly (ahem)
to the Toaster (uh..by way of..an Amiga!!)..chuckle chuckle..

-Mike

galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil (04/15/91)

In article <41281@cup.portal.com>, amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) writes:
> Ah..but yes the Toaster *is* available for the Mac..when you buy the "Toaster
> Package" it comes with a toaster inside an Amiga 2000HD..and they throw in
> a connector cable so you can export your images from the Mac directly (ahem)
> to the Toaster (uh..by way of..an Amiga!!)..chuckle chuckle..

Seriously?  Is this for real?  You mean to tell me that a toaster installed in
an A2000HD is considered an available peripheral for the Mac?  You've got to
be SH*TTING me!
> -Mike
 /   Ralph Galetti                  Internet:   galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil   \
|    PL/LITT                        Interests:  computers, music, computers   |
|    Kirtland AFB, NM 87117-6008                and music, golf, sleep.       |
 \__"No, they couldn't actually prove that it was HIS vomit" - Nigel Tufnel__/

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.224051.369@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) writes:

>	I can not believe it... I was looking through a macworld  [may you
>forgive me for my sins] and I noticed they had a thing on Toasters. AHAH!
>I cried prematurely ... even the Mac world realizes that the Amiga is
>vastly superior and cheaper but to my utter dismay I realize something was
>greatly amiss!  MAC world had the chutzpah to write that the toaster is
>available for the MAC!!!!!!!!!!!
>	Help me! I am about to suffer from a nervous breakdown!
>
>				AMIGA RULEZ
>
>				J.Norell Guttman
>				njg2@po.cwru.edu

	ANY computer can use a Toaster, as long as you buy an
	Amiga with it!!! So, don't worry. We could only hope
	that the Mac world would increase Amiga sales dramatically
	due to the Toaster. Then, we can just sit back and wait for
	all the 3rd party software to hit the streets.

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) (04/16/91)

I doubt anyone at Apple considers it an "official" Mac peripheral but..
New Tek showed up at Mac World exhibition in San Francisco with the
toaster in the set-up I described..Sculley asked New Tek "so when you
gonna come out with the Mac version?"..to which New Tek replied never..
evidently Sculley was none too pleased..but I hear New Tek is considering
building a stand-alone version of the toaster..without an amiga or
any computer sometime in the future..

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.102050.21859@uservx.afwl.af.mil> galetti@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:
>In article <41281@cup.portal.com>, amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) writes:
>>Ah..but yes the Toaster *is* available for the Mac..when you buy the "Toaster
>>Package" it comes with a toaster inside an Amiga 2000HD..and they throw in
>>a connector cable so you can export your images from the Mac directly (ahem)
>>to the Toaster (uh..by way of..an Amiga!!)..chuckle chuckle..
>Seriously?  Is this for real?  You mean to tell me that a toaster installed in
>an A2000HD is considered an available peripheral for the Mac?  You've got to
>be SH*TTING me!

Yes, it is being marketed this way for the Mac and IBM clones. But there is
something else. Tim Jenison (NewTek president) was recently quoted to say
that their goal was to produce a stand-alone Toaster for under $1000. They
plan on achieving this end by incorporating pieces of the Amiga into the
new "black box" toaster. I have heard they have already done some negotiations
with Commodore to create this product.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (04/18/91)

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:

>Yes, it is being marketed this way for the Mac and IBM clones. But there is
>something else. Tim Jenison (NewTek president) was recently quoted to say
>that their goal was to produce a stand-alone Toaster for under $1000. They
>plan on achieving this end by incorporating pieces of the Amiga into the
>new "black box" toaster. I have heard they have already done some negotiations
>with Commodore to create this product.

Yes, I'm sure they must be working on such a thing but it is unlikely that
Jenison would quote such a low price especially if it is directed to the
Mac world!  If there is any licensing of technology involved there is no
way it would be done for $1,000.  If you were a Mac or PC user would you buy one
for, let's say, $3,000 (a more likely price) if you knew that they were planning
to drop the price to $1,000?  It doesn't seem very shrewd to expose such plans
even if they are indeed true.

PC Magazine also suggested using the Amiga-Toaster as a "peripheral" to a PC!

(I don't dispute that you read the quote about the $1000.  I do question the
accuracy of the original quote!)

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/18/91)

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>> Tim Jenison (NewTek president) was recently quoted to say
>>that their goal was to produce a stand-alone Toaster for under $1000. They

>Yes,  [ but not that cheap ]

NewTek just announced the "stand alone" Toaster at NAB. It sells for
$4000 (give or take $1-5), and is "compatible" with all brands of
computers.

Oh, the $4000 also includes an A2000 with the "CBM" and "Amiga" logos
removed.

Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/19/91)

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>> Tim Jenison (NewTek president) was recently quoted to say
>>>that their goal was to produce a stand-alone Toaster for under $1000. They

>>Yes,  [ but not that cheap ]

>NewTek just announced the "stand alone" Toaster at NAB. It sells for
>$4000 (give or take $1-5), and is "compatible" with all brands of
>computers.

>Oh, the $4000 also includes an A2000 with the "CBM" and "Amiga" logos
>removed.

>Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
>that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)
>--

Hmm.. perhaps i should alter the Topic.. But ah..

What's these ad's i've see for hooking the toster to a VCR?
(General info would be ok)

Ad what's the "real" info on the toster 3d ray tracing ability
I've used it, it's fast, but i hear it cheats.

Whe the toster comming out for the 500..  :^)
How about a Tosterjr!  I just wana do the "star-trek" fades
and ray-trace..  (And show upo these mac-fanatica i know)

Toster - "A mega Cool neat thing to add to ya 2000"
Squids Dictionary.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

mechrw@tnessd.sbc.com (Robert Wallace (214+464-6552)) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.145736.10717@javelin.sim.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
>that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g
>DoD #46           My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.            FJ1200

More than $1000... $1400 for the Toaster has a bit of NewTek profit built into it.
Still, more power to 'em.  Soak the Macstards.  Anybody who'd pay as much as they
do to run Sculpt/Animate on their Mac (when they could buy _both_ an Amiga and
Sculpt/Animate for less) has it coming.

Just my opinion, of course.

Robert Wallace

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/20/91)

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:

> Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
> that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)

You don't know what's in it so you can't say that.  There is probably
some sort of hard drive or something for storage in there.  Who knows?

So what if they are making $1000 profit.  This is America after
all..what do you expect?  You think they are going to sell them at a
break even price?  Ha!  And no profit is pure.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/20/91)

In article <yorkw.671997155@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>What's these ad's i've see for hooking the toster to a VCR?

What a grammatical nightmare. Do actually talk like this or do you just
have bad quality control on your typing. For input, the Toaster requires
stable synch and if multiple inputs are used, they must be synchronized.
This means acceptable inputs are cameras, video disc players, and time base
corrected vcrs. Multiple inputs require genlocking for cameras or synchronizers
for recorded video. Any NTSC composite vcr can be used on the output, but
doing animation with Lightwave will require single frame recording capability.

>Ad what's the "real" info on the toster 3d ray tracing ability
>I've used it, it's fast, but i hear it cheats.

Lightwave is NOT a ray-tracer. It is one of the most capable 3D renderers
available on any personal computer. What do you mean by "it cheats"?
Please be more specific. What "real" info are you looking for?
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%

jsibley@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) (04/20/91)

In article <0gyN19w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>
>> Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
>> that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)
>

>So what if they are making $1000 profit.  This is America after
>all..what do you expect?  You think they are going to sell them at a
>break even price?  Ha!  And no profit is pure.

   And besides, Mac users are used to paying inflated prices for what they buy.
So, who's the wiser??  NewTek.  A mainly Amiga related company.  No harm done
to the Amiga community by taking some extra cash out of Mac users pockets.  I
do think it is a bad idea for Commodore to give in so easily to scrapping the
Amiga for parts..  :^}

--
      James Sibley                                Nous Sommes Du Soleil
      Seeking the truth about lemon curry.          We Are Of The Sun

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/20/91)

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>> Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
>> that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)

>You don't know what's in it so you can't say that.  There is probably
>some sort of hard drive or something for storage in there.  Who knows?

You're right, that's why the WAG (Wild Ass Guess) and :-) are up there.

>So what if they are making $1000 profit.  This is America after
>all..what do you expect?  You think they are going to sell them at a
>break even price?  Ha!  And no profit is pure.

You misunderstand, I have nothing at all against NewTek making an extra
grand or so on every "stand-alone" toaster. In fact, pricing the thing
at ~$1000 above the _retail_ price of the components seems like a great
idea. If an Amiga-only Toaster for $1400 is too good to be true, maybe a
$4000 stand-alone Toaster for $4000 will be taken seriously. Nothing
like a higher price to command respect! Just call the higher price a
stupidity tax. :-)
--

jsibley@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) writes:

>   And besides, Mac users are used to paying inflated prices for what they buy.
>So, who's the wiser??  NewTek.  A mainly Amiga related company.  No harm done
>to the Amiga community by taking some extra cash out of Mac users pockets.  I
>do think it is a bad idea for Commodore to give in so easily to scrapping the
>Amiga for parts..  :^}

Why is OEM'ing the Amiga a bad idea? CBM is actively purusing OEM
applications of the Amiga. While they lose the name identification, they
can sell a lot more Amigas that may never have been sold if not for the
OEM arrangement.
--

frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr19.214915.1687@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jsibley@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) writes:

>>> Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
>>> that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)
>
>   And besides, Mac users are used to paying inflated prices for what they buy.
>So, who's the wiser??  NewTek.  A mainly Amiga related company.  No harm done
>to the Amiga community by taking some extra cash out of Mac users pockets.  I
>do think it is a bad idea for Commodore to give in so easily to scrapping the
>Amiga for parts..  :^}
>
>--
>      James Sibley				   Nous Sommes Du Soleil

--
I tend to agree with the idea that Newtek is simply acting as a VAR,
providing a service for customers who don't want to worry about

-- Frank McPherson		 INTERNET : emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu	--
--				AmigaUUCP : uunet!vtserf!morpheus!frank --

jsibley@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.143544.27691@javelin.sim.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>Why is OEM'ing the Amiga a bad idea? CBM is actively purusing OEM
>applications of the Amiga. While they lose the name identification, they
>can sell a lot more Amigas that may never have been sold if not for the
>OEM arrangement.
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g
>DoD #46           My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.            FJ1200

   Losing name identification is probably more detrimental to Commodore than
any other company.  What good is selling a million Amigas if nobody knows
what an Amiga is??  And besides, it's a matter of pride.  ;^}

--

sft@cbnewsc.att.com (scott.thompson) (04/23/91)

In article <61922@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
]In article <yorkw.671997155@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
]>What's these ad's i've see for hooking the toster to a VCR?
]
]What a grammatical nightmare. Do actually talk like this or do you just
                                 ^ look whos talking Mr. potato head. :-)

I couldn't resist bro!
--
  Scott Thompson, 45261, (IH 6W-207), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

   VOICE: (708)-979-2237  UUCP: ...!att!ihlpa!sft  ARPA: sft@ihlpa.att.com

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/23/91)

sft@cbnewsc.att.com (scott.thompson) writes:

>In article <61922@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>]In article <yorkw.671997155@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>]>What's these ad's i've see for hooking the toster to a VCR?
>]
>]What a grammatical nightmare. Do actually talk like this or do you just
>                                 ^ look whos talking Mr. potato head. :-)

Actyally i just type about 400+ WPM, so by the time i even see what i typed
i've gone on to the next message.. :^)

Been reading a lot of OLD books too, (OLD english is weird with lots of ')

Well i'm allready on the next message... C-ya.

.
Spell checkers are reducing the art of writing to a mere TASK!.

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr20.143022.27618@javelin.sim.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>
>>> Ok, a Toaster for $1400, an A2000 for $1600 (WAG at an OEM price),
>>> that's still a $1000 pure profit on the "stand alone" Toaster. :-)

Hey, I thought the Toaster would hardly even *RUN* in an unaccelerated
Amiga?!?  And I also heard you're fooling yourself if you try to run it
in less than 6 megs of RAM.

How the heck can they sell this thing as a useful tool, if it's that
crippled?  Any chance it's either accelerated or has lots'o ram?  If not,
it's a _real_ joke.

				Philip
				pk@wet.uucp
				{cca.ucsf.edu,hoptoad,claris}!wet!pk

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/25/91)

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:
>In article <1991Apr20.143022.27618@javelin.sim.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>>bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

>Hey, I thought the Toaster would hardly even *RUN* in an unaccelerated
>Amiga?!?  And I also heard you're fooling yourself if you try to run it
>in less than 6 megs of RAM.

The Toaster runs just fine on a stock 2000, but if you're going to do
much rendering with Lightwave, then you want an accelerator. NewTek
recommends a minimum of 5 meg, but people with Toasters say that 7 or 9
meg is much better.

>How the heck can they sell this thing as a useful tool, if it's that
>crippled?  Any chance it's either accelerated or has lots'o ram?  If not,
>it's a _real_ joke.

First, I don't know exactly what the Stand-Alone Toaster includes for
$4000, the blurb on BIX didn't go into much detail. But it would be a
common marketing practice to sell a very minimal base system, and then
offer lots of wonderful performance upgrades for the Stand-Alone
Toaster. If the customer is ignorant enough of the Amiga to buy the
"stand-alone" version, you can probably make a killing selling him
"Toaster specific" upgrades like the A2630 or GVP accelerators.

I can see it now, a whole new cottage industry supporting the "stand-
alone" Toaster, with a staggering array of products ranging from hardware
accelerators to mass storage. And maybe even things like video games and
word processors that will run on the "stand-alone" Toaster. Of course
the prices for such items will have to reflect the rarified atmosphere
of the Macintosh and video production markets. :-)
--

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.144621.9324@javelin.sim.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>I can see it now, a whole new cottage industry supporting the "stand-
>alone" Toaster, with a staggering array of products ranging from hardware
>accelerators to mass storage. And maybe even things like video games and
>word processors that will run on the "stand-alone" Toaster. Of course
>the prices for such items will have to reflect the rarified atmosphere
>of the Macintosh and video production markets. :-)

Of course, as the stand-alone Toaster is merely an A2000+Toaster,
developments aimed at the stand-alone will benefit the entire Amiga
line, right?

>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

Dave Hopper      |     /// Anthro Creep  | Academic Info Resources, Stanford
                 |__  ///     .   .      | Macincrap/UNIX Consultant
bard@jessica.    |\\\///     Ia! Ia!     | -- Just remember: love is life, and
   Stanford.EDU  | \XX/  Shub-Niggurath! | hate is living death. :Black Sabbath

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) (04/26/91)

}>
}
}Of course, as the stand-alone Toaster is merely an A2000+Toaster,
}developments aimed at the stand-alone will benefit the entire Amiga
}line, right?

I don't see any reason why the stand-alone Toaster should require an
entire A2000 to run.  Consider, the "host" computer could run all the
imaging software, downloading the results to the SA-Toaster.  With a
sufficiently fast interface (like SCSI), you could probably even manage
to pump the data from the host to the Toaster fast enough for animation,
especially if you could make the SCSI interface on the toaster smart
enough to take over as master on command and pump data directly from
predefined sectors on the hard drive.  Why would you need more on the
SA-Toaster than a basic A2000 motherboard with a lot of RAM and the
ability to load it's software via the SCSI port?

Now, I'm not saying I like the idea of people pointing at a Mac or a
PC Clone and saying "See, we can do multimedia better than anybody.",
but that's the reality.

On the other hand, this SA-Toaster could just as easily plug into
an Amiga, so they won't really have any significant advantage.

Lance

--
Lance T. Franklin            +----------------------------------------------+
(ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org)   | "You want I should bop you with this here    |

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/26/91)

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:

> Hey, I thought the Toaster would hardly even *RUN* in an unaccelerated
> Amiga?!?  And I also heard you're fooling yourself if you try to run it
> in less than 6 megs of RAM.
>
> How the heck can they sell this thing as a useful tool, if it's that
> crippled?  Any chance it's either accelerated or has lots'o ram?  If not,
> it's a _real_ joke.

Hmm..that is incorrect information.  I've run the Toaster on my
UNaccelerated 5 meg Amiga 2000 and it runs like a champ.  You don't
*need* an accelerator at all.  One would be nice however. <grin>

It doens't run slow and it is quite useful in the above setup without
any major hassles.

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/27/91)

In article <qRs1111w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:
>
>> Hey, I thought the Toaster would hardly even *RUN* in an unaccelerated
>> Amiga?!?  And I also heard you're fooling yourself if you try to run it
>> in less than 6 megs of RAM.
>>
>> How the heck can they sell this thing as a useful tool, if it's that
>> crippled?  Any chance it's either accelerated or has lots'o ram?  If not,
>> it's a _real_ joke.
>
>Hmm..that is incorrect information.  I've run the Toaster on my
>UNaccelerated 5 meg Amiga 2000 and it runs like a champ.  You don't
>*need* an accelerator at all.  One would be nice however. <grin>
>
>It doens't run slow and it is quite useful in the above setup without
>any major hassles.
>
>> 				Philip
>> 				pk@wet.uucp
>> 				{cca.ucsf.edu,hoptoad,claris}!wet!pk
>
>-- Bob

	Even though I don't own a toaster, I'd have to agree, but.....
	should'nt you qualify that with "unless your lightwaving it, and have
	the time....?" I thought anytime you do 3D, rendering, tracing,etc.
	that it's awfully slow without an accelerator.

hill@cse.uta.edu (Adam Hill) (04/27/91)

	I can see it now......

INCREDIBLE!!! FANTASTIC! GAME! HOT-HOT-HOT!!!!!!

  "Shadow of the Beast" - Incredible, multiple bitplane animation game
for the NewTek Video Toaster for the Mac. Uses heretofor UN-USED SOUND
Capabilites of the Toaster... Uses "RealSound" Technology.

Introductory Price only $99.95

...... Get it while you can!
--
 adam hill --  hill@evax.uta.edu        ASOCC - University of Texas at UTA
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/27/91)

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) writes:

> 	Even though I don't own a toaster, I'd have to agree, but.....
> 	should'nt you qualify that with "unless your lightwaving it, and have
> 	the time....?" I thought anytime you do 3D, rendering, tracing,etc.
> 	that it's awfully slow without an accelerator.

In most cases it is.  Lightwave doesn't do Ray-Tracing so (depending
on your scenes and if you are rendering shadows) your render times
are not that slow even with an unaccelerated machine.  I had very
reasonable results in the hi-res mode.  Actually, the ease of use and
productivity achieved from just using the interface more than makes
up for the final rendering speed.  Most of your time is actually
spent *creating*.   Once you are done with that, the rendering is
secondary (to me anyway).  I don't care if I have to let the machine
sit for a week rendering once I've gotten my scenes and motions down.

Doing some key frames to test the look doesn't take that long and the
interface just flies even with an unaccelerated machine.  Overall, I
would say it is much faster working with Lightwave 3D than any other
3D software on an unaccelerated machine.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/30/91)

Why would you want to plug the SA-Toaster into an Amiga???  It IS an Amiga!

It sure will be nice when people start getting their facts straight...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |