[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] CLI features

Lee Sailer <UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> (04/29/91)

>>This is a SPECTACULARLY STUPID "feature" of the Amiga, that it doesn't let
>>you put the redirection at the *end* of the command like Unix does.
>
>It will under 2.0.

Really?  Hooray!  Hooray!  Will you be able to add the "background
operator" at the end of the line, too?  As in

$ command -x -y -z foo bar &

Instead of

> run command .....

lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (04/30/91)

[ note:  I changed the followup-to line to comp.sys.amiga.programmer. ]

In article <91119.163516UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>Really?  Hooray!  Hooray!  Will you be able to add the "background
>operator" at the end of the line, too?  As in
>
>$ command -x -y -z foo bar &
>
>Instead of
>
>> run command .....

Not with the standard CLI, I don't think.  The annoying thing about it is
that although

1.Ram Disk:> list ram:*

will work,

1.Ram Disk:> list *

still tries to list stdin.  And, there aren't unnamed pipes as far as
I know (i.e. you can't say "list | more").

Maybe somebody out there will write a shell that implements &, |, *,
and filename completion (all optionally to maintain compatibility).

  -Logan
--
   //  # "He said that He had your number; you cut the telephone line.
 \X/   #  You said you needed a reason; He said 'there ain't much time.'