[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] 22 / 24 bits

colin_fox@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) (05/01/91)

seanc@crash.cts.com writes:
>What should also be understood is that bits for display and bits for
>pallette are entirely different.

Correct.

>The "standard" Amiga has 12bits for its pallette, but only 6 usually for
>display, depending on resolution.  A "standard" Personal Iris has 24bits
>for its pallette, and 8 for its display.

So you are referring to the Amiga's CLUT as the 'Display' colours. Fine.

>My DCTV has 24bits for its pallette, but displays 22bits...while some will

I'm sorry, but this can't be so. A 24 bit frame buffer uses each pixel as an
absolute gun description of colour. 8 bits of 3 primaries, R, G & B. For you
to have a separate display colour list and palette, you would need a CLUT
(like the Amiga's, which is 32 colours), but your CLUT would be 16 million
entries! HUGE! It can't be. If you say that DCTV works in 22 bits, then that
is ALL YOU HAVE. 2^22 colours, or 4 million. That is your palette, and that
is all that is displayable.

+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Colin_Fox@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca      | "...heavy!"                      |
+-------------------------------------+ "There's that word again! Is     |
| Informal home of SIGGRAPH Vancouver,|  there a problem with gravity in |
|          and proud of it!           |  the future?" -- Doc             |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (05/02/91)

 Maybe not (22bit<->24bit).Since DCTV only use 4 bit/pixel it use some
 calculation to get the right color.So if you divide (shift) entry you
 can get 4 million instead of 16....
 This is just an idea.But I would think of 2 million instead of 4
 million with 3bit/pixel...

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/05/91)

If this is true, then where do the Mac boards get their 24bit pallette,
with only 8 bits for display? Hmmm

Or what about VGA?  8 bits out of a palette of 18?

'jest asking...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |