[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Help: Japanese font ????

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/15/91)

>In article <1991Apr15.144822.7773@cc.curtin.edu.au> cryanrm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a Japanese font available for the Amiga.  I know
>someone who wants to add Japanese subtitles to a movie, using an Amiga,
>and they are desperate to locate a suitable font.
>
>Any source would be appreciated, Commercial, PD or FTP location would be
>OK.  I have looked on ab20 but could see nothing related.

This may help:

There exists a TeX font to Amiga font converter called TEXF. And there
are Japanese fonts. You might find TEXF on a fish disk, and post to
comp.text.tex for info on Japanese TeX fonts.

>Bob Ryan.

| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |
| !chinet!uokmax!servalan!epmooch!ben     |  CEO, Seagate Technologies   |

cryanrm@cc.curtin.edu.au (04/15/91)

Does anyone know if there is a Japanese font available for the Amiga.  I know
someone who wants to add Japanese subtitles to a movie, using an Amiga,
and they are desperate to locate a suitable font.

Any source would be appreciated, Commercial, PD or FTP location would be
OK.  I have looked on ab20 but could see nothing related.

Thanks in Advance.

Bob Ryan.

 PSImail: psi%050529452300070::Ryan_BM
 Internet: Ryan_BM@cc.curtin.edu.au
 ACSnet: Ryan_BM@cc.cut.oz.au
 Bitnet: Ryan_BM%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet
 UUCP  : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Ryan_BM
 Postal: Curtin University of Technology, Bentley, 6102, Western Australia

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.060136.12818@kcbbs.gen.nz> Clarke_Anderson@kcbbs.gen.nz (Clarke Anderson) writes:
>the japanese character set consists of over 2000 characters. i'd hate
                                             ---- 8000 and much more!
>to be the one to creatre a font for it.

 It is a famous story among Japanese UNIX people that k14 font (14x14 bitmap
Japanese font for X11) is a result of endeavor by a single graduate student.

He set his work to public domain and you can use it as a graphic data.
I wrote a conversion program which takes on .bnf font file and outputs
over 80 assembly programs each of which complies with a font source
format found in Amiga Reference Manual. I donwloaded them onto my A3000
and compiled using SAS assembler. I just played with them to read Japanese
mails home, and it is quite usable if you have hi-res screen and an extra
1 MEG CHIP RAM.

--
-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (04/20/91)

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) writes:

>In article <1991Apr17.060136.12818@kcbbs.gen.nz> Clarke_Anderson@kcbbs.gen.nz (Clarke Anderson) writes:
>>the japanese character set consists of over 2000 characters. i'd hate
>                                             ---- 8000 and much more!
>>to be the one to creatre a font for it.

> It is a famous story among Japanese UNIX people that k14 font (14x14 bitmap
>Japanese font for X11)

14x14 seems a bit small for kanji!  I've seen the displays that Japanese
use, 16x16 font on a 640x400 screen giving 25 lines, 40 columns.  At this
size, the hirigana were very nice and the kanji just barely adaquate.
Also, 16x16 didn't allow for any decent spacing between characters, which
makes things confusing when you've got lines of complex kanji next to
each other.

>I wrote a conversion program which takes on .bnf font file and outputs
>over 80 assembly programs each of which complies with a font source
>format found in Amiga Reference Manual.

Will this work with ANY .bnf files?  I've got an RS/6000 (AIX) with a
zillion fonts available to me.  With a bnf-to-Amiga or snf-to-Amiga
converted, we could grab a LOT of nice fonts.
Don't anybody tell me AIX fonts are proprietary.  I refuse to recognize
a "copyright" on something as basic as a font.  In fact, I find the idea
of copyrighted fonts hilarious.

>I just played with them to read Japanese
>mails home, and it is quite usable if you have hi-res screen and an extra
>1 MEG CHIP RAM.

I (and undoubtably others) would love to get this font.  Could you make
it available somehow?

>-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
>NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language

----------
Ben in San Jose, programmer, ecologist, net radical, loony at large.

icv@wet.UUCP (Ilsa VanHook) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr15.144822.7773@cc.curtin.edu.au> cryanrm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a Japanese font available for the Amiga.  I know
>someone who wants to add Japanese subtitles to a movie, using an Amiga,
>and they are desperate to locate a suitable font.
I have some flyers here for Lion's MacFonts (he's converted, it says,
600 fonts from BMUG to Amiga diskfont format.)
Disk 3 shows a sample of some kana fonts, but I don't see any kanji.  If you
want to check, write:
  Lion Kuntz, 482 Hayes St., San Francisco, CA 94102  USA

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr19.235515.21922@netcom.COM>, rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
> Don't anybody tell me AIX fonts are proprietary.  I refuse to recognize
> a "copyright" on something as basic as a font.  In fact, I find the idea
> of copyrighted fonts hilarious.

Why is that?  Did not someone sit down and create the font?  Why is this form of art
any different than, lets say, a painting?  Whould you say the same thing if it was a
multicolored 100 x 100 point font?  Surely someone would have to had put many of hours
of work into creating it.  Some fonts are just copies of simple bitmap fonts and may
not be copyrighted by any one person, but I don't think the blanket statement that
"font copyrighting should not be recognized" is out of place.

> Ben in San Jose, programmer, ecologist, net radical, loony at large.

--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (04/28/91)

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) writes:

>In article <1991Apr19.235515.21922@netcom.COM>, rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
>> Don't anybody tell me AIX fonts are proprietary.  I refuse to recognize
>> a "copyright" on something as basic as a font.  In fact, I find the idea
>> of copyrighted fonts hilarious.

>Why is that?  Did not someone sit down and create the font?  Why is this form of art
>any different than, lets say, a painting?  Whould you say the same thing if it was a
>multicolored 100 x 100 point font?  Surely someone would have to had put many of hours
>of work into creating it.  Some fonts are just copies of simple bitmap fonts and may
>not be copyrighted by any one person, but I don't think the blanket statement that
>"font copyrighting should not be recognized" is out of place.

No matter, from what I understand, copywrite law doesnt cover Fonts or typefaces

No matter how fancy you make the font. I guess it is an attempt to keep any
one from claiming a copywrite on a printed language :-)
  "No you can't use the alphabet, I have a copywrite on it!" :-)

You can Trademark the names of fonts, and if you have a program to create the
fonts (such as postscript) you can copywrite the program that draws, or
creates the fonts, but not the resultant shape of the letters themselves.

At least that is what I was told by one of my commercial art instructors.

--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (05/04/91)

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) writes:

>one from claiming a copywrite on a printed language :-)
                         ^^^^^

Gee, I could at least have spelled copyRIGHT correctly, huh?
sorry.

--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix
                   |      uunet!coplex!disk!sparks |
    *Online Games*Usenet*Email*Chatting*Downloads*Supporting all computers*

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/06/91)

Thisi is not a reply to japanese fonts, I want to check something.

Does anyone know if Startracker is PD/SW or Commercial?

Later