[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DCTV

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (01/12/91)

According to the manufacturer, DCTV will be shipping January 14th.
(yes, of THIS year :-)
 OR
PS This was told to me by digital creations during a phone call last
week, so I don't think that the date could be REALLY off.

--
"Nobody in this city would get shot if they just did what the cops
told them to." San Diego Police Department Officer Shane Martin

hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu (03/05/91)

Does anybody out there have DCTV for their Amiga?  I was just wondering...

How does the output look on NTSC?  Fuzzy?  Clear? Sharp?

How good are the results from its digitizing feature?  What about
conversion of DCTV file to HAM?

Can a normal Amiga screen bet output through DCTV?  Would you want to do
this?

Is it really worth $399?

Thanks,

-Ho Yang

barry@netcom.COM (Kenn Barry) (03/06/91)

In article <DSWYJ7T@cs.swarthmore.edu> hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu writes:
>Does anybody out there have DCTV for their Amiga?  I was just wondering...

	Yep. Bought it a little over a week ago.

>How does the output look on NTSC?  Fuzzy?  Clear? Sharp?

	I'd say it looks excellent. Of course, it is a composite image,
not RGB, but within the constraints imposed by NTSC, yes, it looks
very fine.

>How good are the results from its digitizing feature?

	It seems to work superbly. I've been surprised how easy it is to
digitize. I would have anticipated that lighting and such would be much
more critical than they appear to be. I even get very good results
digitizing from my (cheap) VCR using freeze-frame, if the tape is a
clean tape, and if I advance frames until I get one that looks steady on
the display.

	The digitizing module also gives you some image processing
functions, to modify things like color balance, brightness, contrast,
etc.

	The main limitation of DCTV's digitizing feature is that it
takes 6-10 seconds to capture a frame. You can't simply take a
"snapshot" of a video signal that's in motion.

>What about conversion of DCTV file to HAM?

	This is, in my opinion, the weakest module in the DCTV package.
Overall, I've preferred the results I've gotten by using The Art
Department to perform this conversion. DCTV can save out a 24-bit IFF
file that TAD can read and convert.

>Can a normal Amiga screen bet output through DCTV?  Would you want to do
>this?

	I'm unclear what you're asking. DCTV will read most any IFF
graphics file and convert it to a DCTV image. However, you wouldn't
want to run all your Amiga's output to a composite monitor, given a
choice, since composite lacks the sharpness of an RGB image. This is
not a problem, however, because you don't lose your normal output when
you attach DCTV. I use my 1080 monitor to display both normal output
and DCTV output. Switching over is simply a matter of flipping the
monitor's switch between RGB and composite display. For pictures,
though, esp. digitized photos, it can be advantageous to convert and
view them through DCTV. Most images I've done this with, esp. HAM
images, look better as DCTV images than they do as HAMs.

>Is it really worth $399?

	I hope so - I paid more than that :-). So far I'm quite happy
with it. I want to also mention the 'paint' program that's included in
the package. As some others have indicated, this is the nicest paint
program I've seen on the Amiga, really loaded with useful features, and
generally easy to use. This is, for example, the first program I've
found that makes colorizing of images reasonably easy, and gives
satisfactory results. Partly that's due to its not having to deal with
the color complexities of HAM mode, but it's also that the operation is
easier to do than with HAM paint programs I've used (Photon Paint,
DigiPaint).

	Plusses: high-quality color digitizing, excellent paint program,
pictures displayable on normal Amiga monitor (switched to composite
mode) using any standard 'show' utility, attaches to any Amiga (I have
an A1000), easy to use, affordable.

	Minuses: composite output, slow digitizing, takes away the
parallel port.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                Kenn Barry
ELECTRIC AVENUE:    barry@netcom.com  OR  apple!netcom!barry

ceej@mole.ai.mit.edu (Chris Hillery) (03/06/91)

In article <27019@netcom.COM> barry@netcom.COM (Kenn Barry) writes:
>In article <DSWYJ7T@cs.swarthmore.edu> hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu writes:
>>Does anybody out there have DCTV for their Amiga?  I was just wondering...
>
>	Yep. Bought it a little over a week ago.

Ok, then, I'd like to ask a few questions too.. (=

First and foremost, this box uses the Amiga's CHIP mem for picture storage,
correct?  So can you really use the full features and so forth with only
512K of chip mem?

Secondly, how exactly does this equipment?  I assume you plug it into the
parallel port, and then what do you do to show a picture?  I'm really trying
to decide between going for this or a ColorBurst and could really use any
info on either...

Thanks in advance!...

>-  From the Crow's Nest  -                Kenn Barry
>ELECTRIC AVENUE:    barry@netcom.com  OR  apple!netcom!barry

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery
ceej@rpi.edu

anderson@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (Brent James Anderson) (03/06/91)

I have a NEC-3D and flickerFixer board.  I also use a switch box and a cable
I purchased from Redmond Cable to choose between sending the flickerFixed
output to the NEC or good 'ol 23pin Amiga RGB.

The NEC does not have composite in.  Just the 9 (or 15 w/o converter) pin
RGB type input.

My question:

Is DCTV totally out of the picture for a setup like this?
With the NEC-3D is there any way of using DCTV?

I'm guessing a big yes.

Next question:

Have you seen Firecracker?
If so, would it be usable on my system described above?
I'd appreciate if anyone could list the (major) differences between the two
and also welcome opinions.

BTW: I'm pretty confused by the recent deluge of "high color" add on boards
for the Amiga.
1) Are they all 24bit color?
2) What are all of them? :-)
3) What are their resolutions?
4) If not 24bit color then how many colors at a time out of how many?
5) Can I use any of them on the above equipment configuration.
6) Other main features, like digitization etc...

Whew :-)
-Beej

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (03/06/91)

hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu writes:

> Does anybody out there have DCTV for their Amiga?  I was just wondering...
>
> How does the output look on NTSC?  Fuzzy?  Clear? Sharp?
>
> How good are the results from its digitizing feature?  What about
> conversion of DCTV file to HAM?
>
> Can a normal Amiga screen bet output through DCTV?  Would you want to do
> this?
>
> Is it really worth $399?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Ho Yang

I saw DCTV recently at a user group meeting. IMHO, the output was clear and
no color banding was evident -- without having a side-by-side comparison or
a video technician's eye for such differences I'd guess that it stood up
very well in output against a Targa board. And, when oyu especially consider
the cost it looks even more impressive! I didn't see a didigitizing feature
-- does it really have one? No, the Amiga screen output will not pass thru
the DCTV. In effect, you switch from Amiga RGB to DCTV video. If the 1084 or
1950 didn't let you have two monitors in one (rgb & composite) then you'd
have to have two separate monitors.  Hope this helps

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/07/91)

In article <13749@life.ai.mit.edu>, Chris Hillery writes:

> First and foremost, this box uses the Amiga's CHIP mem for picture storage,
> correct?  So can you really use the full features and so forth with only
> 512K of chip mem?
>
> Secondly, how exactly does this equipment?  I assume you plug it into the
> parallel port, and then what do you do to show a picture?  I'm really trying
> to decide between going for this or a ColorBurst and could really use any
> info on either...

I can't remember the exact memory requirement, I think that in order to run
the Paint program you need to 1 MEG (of which only 512K need be chip RAM).
As for the ports:
1.  It plugs into the Parallel port to send the picures it digitizes.
2.  It plugs into the RGB port to get its graphics info (provides a
	pass-through)
3.  Has a composite input for its digitizer.
4.  Has a composite output for its output.

The software comes with the digitizer (an 8 second slow scan, 24 bit
digitizer), which allows quite a bit of image manipulation.  A very full
featured paint program.  A conversion module for handling various IFF
24-bit, DCTV-24bit, and all the normal Amiga modes.  The Paint module can
load and save both IFF 24-BIT and DCTV format pictures with out the need
for a conversion utility.

The way that DCTV works is that it compresses the 24bit composit image
into a compressed format which is stored as a 640x400 16 color IFF image.
So when it is stored in DCTV format, any IFF picture view can display the
image, on your RGB screen it will look like a 16 color greyscale abstract
picture, but through the magic of DCTV it shows up as 16 million colors.
What this means is that I am able to take a series of 24 bit IFF frames
from Imagine or ProVista, convert them to DCTV format and then use
CombineAnim to create a 24 bit animation, that can display as fast as a 16
color Anim.

Another side benifit of these system is that a typical IFF 24-BIT image can
take 500,000 bytes while the DCTV format of the same image can often be
smaller than 100,000 bytes.

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

barry@netcom.COM (Kenn Barry) (03/08/91)

In article <13749@life.ai.mit.edu> ceej@mole.ai.mit.edu (Chris Hillery) writes:
>First and foremost, this box uses the Amiga's CHIP mem for picture storage,
>correct?  So can you really use the full features and so forth with only
>512K of chip mem?

	Well, I have only 512K of chip mem, and haven't yet found it a
limitation. The display format of a DCTV picture is similar in concept to
the HAM-E format. It encodes additional information along the top and left
edges of the picture to provide full-color output, but the picture appears
to the standard Amiga hardware as a 4-plane, hires picture, and requires
no more chip mem than you'd expect such a picture to require. You can
actually view DCTV pics in RGB, though of course they look like junk that
way.

	Extra fast memory is desirable, however. DCTV will work on a
one-meg Amiga, but with some limitations. I have experienced no
limitations on my own machine, which has 3 meg of fast mem.

>Secondly, how exactly does this equipment?  I assume you plug it into the
>parallel port, and then what do you do to show a picture?  I'm really trying
>to decide between going for this or a ColorBurst and could really use any
>info on either...

	DCTV has two completely separate connections to your Amiga. The
parallel port connection is only for input to the digitizer, and need
not even be connected when you're not digitizing. The display connection
is an interceptor on the RGB output port, similar to HAM-E - it plugs
into the RGB out, and your RGB monitor plugs into the DCTV plug.

	There are also two other connectors for DCTV, on the DCTV box,
itself (a 1"x4"x4" external box). One is a composite-in, RCA plug
which receives a composite signal (e.g., camcorder, VCR) for
digitizing; the other is a composite-out which goes to the composite
monitor you are using to view DCTV.

In article <anderson.668252965@mrcnext> anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I have a NEC-3D and flickerFixer board.  I also use a switch box and a cable
>I purchased from Redmond Cable to choose between sending the flickerFixed
>output to the NEC or good 'ol 23pin Amiga RGB.
>
>The NEC does not have composite in.  Just the 9 (or 15 w/o converter) pin
>RGB type input.
>
>Is DCTV totally out of the picture for a setup like this?
>With the NEC-3D is there any way of using DCTV?

	I think you could use DCTV with your Amiga, but you
couldn't send the output to your NEC. You'd need a separate,
composite monitor for DCTV's output. An ordinary TV would
probably do, long as it had an RCA-type, composite-in jack.

>Next question:
>
>Have you seen Firecracker?

	Sorry, no.

						Kayembee

Scott_Busse@mindlink.UUCP (Scott Busse) (03/12/91)

* Person: Neil Richmond
* Org.  : Rhythm & Hues, Inc., Hollywood
writes: If you want a good test for color banding. Try something
      : like interpolating a dark blue to a darker blue or a dark red
      : to a darker red or...
I did such a test with DCTV, using its paint program, saved the image in IFF24,
and took it home to view on my Mimetics board. Now, the Mimetics board is not
the greatest NTSC output I have seen, but when I displayed the image, the color
banding was terrible. But the fact is, it looked pretty good on the DCTV. I
think that's the bottom line, for the market they're attacking.
   I certainly agree about the NTSC problem though. I'm going to get a
FireCracker or something that outputs RGB in true 24bit color. I have a
reasonably good RGB-NTSC converter that can take it from there. You folks over
at Rhythm & Hues don't have to worry much about DCTV's NTSC output though, I
don't suppose :)
* Scott Busse email:           O    O   O_     _      ___ .....
* CIS 73040,2114              |||  /|\  /\   O/\_     /         O    )=|
* a763@mindlink.UUCP           l   | |   |\    / \   /\                _\
* uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Scott_Busse     Live Long and Animate... \

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (03/12/91)

In article <uZXDy5w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:

>I saw DCTV recently at a user group meeting. IMHO, the output was clear and
>no color banding was evident -- without having a side-by-side comparison or
>a video technician's eye for such differences I'd guess that it stood up
>very well in output against a Targa board. And, when oyu especially consider

If you want a good test for color banding. Try something like interpolating
a dark blue to a darker blue or a dark red to a darker red or a light green
to a slightly darker green. Got the idea? With NTSC you will always get
banding when you interpolate shades that are close in hue and value. Why?
Because NTSC is not very good a resolving small changes, because NTSC color
is a kludge. As long as there is a wide range of values, you will get a good
picture. This goes for whatever output device you use ie DCTV, Targa, Video
Toaster etc. If you want good looking color use RGB. You can always run the
signal through an encoder to get NTSC. This is a bit more expensive than
composite output, but it has more flexibility.

neil
--
Only 3218 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (03/16/91)

In article <5110@mindlink.UUCP> Scott_Busse@mindlink.UUCP (Scott Busse) writes:

>   I certainly agree about the NTSC problem though. I'm going to get a
>FireCracker or something that outputs RGB in true 24bit color. I have a
>reasonably good RGB-NTSC converter that can take it from there. You folks over

For my money it is RGB. I'll be looking at something like a FireCracker for
my system. Of course, there is a lot to be said for a good paint system, as
I have heard that the one that comes with DCTV is very good.

>at Rhythm & Hues don't have to worry much about DCTV's NTSC output though, I
>don't suppose :)

True, we don't use Amigas, but not one is safe from the dreaded ...  " NTSC
Banding Problem ":-)

neil

--
Only 3214 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu
Rhythm & Hues Inc.       UUCP: ...{ames,hplabs}!lll-tis!celia!neil)

kcampbel@uafhp.uark.edu (Keith Alan Campbell) (03/18/91)

One issue that seems to have been effectively bypassed during the recent
discussions on DCTV has been the effective resolution of the screen images.
I understand that DCTV probably should not be thought of in terms of pixels,
but what would the equivalent screen resolution be on the Amiga? Hi-res
overscan? 320x200?

Don Kennedy
Vision Quest Systems

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (03/19/91)

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) writes:

> In article <5110@mindlink.UUCP> Scott_Busse@mindlink.UUCP (Scott Busse) write
>
> >   I certainly agree about the NTSC problem though. I'm going to get a
> >FireCracker or something that outputs RGB in true 24bit color. I have a
> >reasonably good RGB-NTSC converter that can take it from there. You folks ov
>
> For my money it is RGB. I'll be looking at something like a FireCracker for
> my system. Of course, there is a lot to be said for a good paint system, as
> I have heard that the one that comes with DCTV is very good.
>
> >at Rhythm & Hues don't have to worry much about DCTV's NTSC output though, I
> >don't suppose :)

Actually, I believe they do.  I'm sure Neil will correct me if I'm
wrong but I believe that R&H's money products are TV Spots.  Final
output is probably 1" tape or D2 (D1, whatever).  At any rate, the
final product that is broadcast is NTSC so steps have to be taken
even if they are outputing RGB to what-have-you because the final
NTSC product *MUST* have saturation levels reduced to fit into NTSC
color bandwidth.

On the other hand, I imagine that all output could be recorded to
film and then a film to tape transfer done.  I believe this would be
more costly and I don't think this is the norm.

> True, we don't use Amigas, but not one is safe from the dreaded ...  " NTSC
> Banding Problem ":-)
>
> neil

Maybe Neil can tell us the typical path of one of thier animations...

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (03/26/91)

In article <0Xa3y4w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

>> >at Rhythm & Hues don't have to worry much about DCTV's NTSC output though, I
>> >don't suppose :)

>Actually, I believe they do.  I'm sure Neil will correct me if I'm
>wrong but I believe that R&H's money products are TV Spots.  Final
>output is probably 1" tape or D2 (D1, whatever).  At any rate, the
>final product that is broadcast is NTSC so steps have to be taken
>even if they are outputing RGB to what-have-you because the final
>NTSC product *MUST* have saturation levels reduced to fit into NTSC
>color bandwidth.

Well, it is true. We don't have to worry about DCTV's NTSC output:-). But we
do worry about our NTSC output. We have strict FCC regulations as to what the
signal looks like. Mostly, in the area of maximums, but sometimes minimums
as well. The FCC doesn't want too much black either. Our bread and butter
is TV spots. Not so much broadcast these days, flying logos, station IDs.
We do a lot of commercial work. Our output these days is usually D1 or D2.
We seldom do output to 1" anymore.

>On the other hand, I imagine that all output could be recorded to
>film and then a film to tape transfer done.  I believe this would be
>more costly and I don't think this is the norm.

This is more costly in time and money. Film has to be wedged, bracketted,
carefully. Film requires higher resolution frames, 2k-4k, which means longer
rendering times. We do this only at a clients request. Sometimes we do
features.

>Maybe Neil can tell us the typical path of one of thier animations...

I am not sure what you mean by this, Bob. Do you mean our production process?
If you want I'll try to prepare a document outlining the process.

neil

--
Only 3203 shopping days left till the next millenium!

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (03/28/91)

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) writes:

> >Maybe Neil can tell us the typical path of one of thier animations...
>
> I am not sure what you mean by this, Bob. Do you mean our production process?
> If you want I'll try to prepare a document outlining the process.

What I meant was the actual hardware path.  From (Alias/whatever)
RGB to scan converter to D2 to whatever, whatever.  It would be
interesting for us to know the basic hardware and adjustments that
are done to a typical 3D piece to get to the final product.  Not the
full production process as that would be quite a paper! B^)

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (03/30/91)

>>> Maybe Neil can tell us the typical path of one of thier animations...
>>
>>I am not sure what you mean by this, Bob. Do you mean our production process?
>>If you want I'll try to prepare a document outlining the process.

> What I meant was the actual hardware path.  From (Alias/whatever)
> RGB to scan converter to D2 to whatever, whatever.  It would be
> interesting for us to know the basic hardware and adjustments that
> are done to a typical 3D piece to get to the final product.  Not the
> full production process as that would be quite a paper! B^)

  Actually some of us (namely me) would be interested in the "full production
process".  So if it is not to much of a hassle (and as long as it doesn't
give away any trade secerets) by all means post some info.  What kind of
equipment do you use (both computer and video hardware), what software do you
use?  (ie. is it Alias?  homemade?? :->  ).  How long does it usually take
to get a creative idea onto the screen as a finished version?

Derek Lang<<<<<    |
ACPS1072@Ryerson   |    "Get this clown trained.  I want him in the games
Toronto, ON        |     until he dies playing.  Acknowledge."
Canada             |                                         - MCP

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/05/91)

In article <N54HZ3w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

>What I meant was the actual hardware path.  From (Alias/whatever)
>RGB to scan converter to D2 to whatever, whatever.  It would be
>interesting for us to know the basic hardware and adjustments that
>are done to a typical 3D piece to get to the final product.  Not the
>full production process as that would be quite a paper! B^)

The hardware path is not very complex or interesting, really. We use SGI
devices for modelling, choreography and rendering. Finished frames are
usually dumped to an Abekas Digital Frame storage Device. The Abekas can
hold from 25-60 secs worth of frames. From the Abekas, we usually go to
D1 or D2, occasionally going right to 1". We do not use any package software
like Wavefront or Alias, although I believe we still have a Wavefront license
or two from the old days. We use our own software. We also have a flat art
scanner which can scan up to 18" square piece of art. We are in the process
of buliding a digital film scanning device for when we do film effects or if
someone sends us film to match to.

neil

--
Only 3194 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu
Rhythm & Hues Inc.       UUCP: ...{ames,hplabs}!lll-tis!celia!neil)

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/19/91)

Well, I have had DCTV for two nights and already I can see some room for
improvement. I was a little disappointed that the flood fill only worked
with a stencil. What I fear is, that this is because it is not a " true "
24 bit image that we are dealing with. I hope my fears are groundless. I
am also concerned that RGB add on device that is coming out soon uses to
composite signal and converts it to RGB. This sounds like a kludge. Does
anyone have any more info on this?

neil
--
Only 3179 shopping days left till the next millenium!

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (04/20/91)

>Well, I have had DCTV for two nights and already I can see some room for
>improvement. I was a little disappointed that the flood fill only worked
>with a stencil. What I fear is, that this is because it is not a " true "
>24 bit image that we are dealing with. I hope my fears are groundless. I
>am also concerned that RGB add on device that is coming out soon uses to
>composite signal and converts it to RGB. This sounds like a kludge. Does
>anyone have any more info on this?

What does having a 'TRUE' 24 bit image have to do with floodfills? If DCTV
didn't have true 24 bit then I shouldn't be able to toss Toaster pics back
and forth between it and DCTV without loss of image quality. Even if I save
off the 700k+ toaster file as a DCTV Display file (300k), then reload the
300k file and save as 24bit IFF, I get the same crisp clear image on the
toaster that I had originally.

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (04/20/91)

>Well, I have had DCTV for two nights and already I can see some room for
>improvement. I was a little disappointed that the flood fill only worked
>with a stencil. What I fear is, that this is because it is not a " true "
>24 bit image that we are dealing with. I hope my fears are groundless. I
>am also concerned that RGB add on device that is coming out soon uses to
>composite signal and converts it to RGB. This sounds like a kludge. Does
>anyone have any more info on this?

Oops, I forgot. If you take a better look you will see that you can use the
continuous line tool with a fill. Outline the area you want filled and
presto! A straight floodfill would be near impossible since a flood fill
requires a continuous single color border around the area to be filled. You
may be looking at a seemingly 'all same colour' area and try to flood fill
it, then have it bleed all over the picture. Then you'd be yelling about a
buggy flood fill :)

Two days is not enough to really get into DCTV, It took me a week to really
get a feel for the program. Being biased by 'normal' paint programs doesn't
help as DCTV paint takes a somewhat different approach. For instance, in
DPaint and other paint programs I use the continuous line tool almost
exclusively, yet in DCTV I use the 'spotted' brush (I forget what the actual
name is).

As a matter of fact, I have never used the floodfill on a stencil, I find the
fill gadget/line tool combo quicker and just as accurate. hmmm, maybe they
should just drop the flood fill completely as I see no use for it..

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (04/20/91)

>	You're dreaming. The 300K file contains nowhere NEAR the
>resolution as the 24 bit Toaster image. The catch is that the
>NTSC display is only slightly better than the DCTV image so the
>difference is hardly noticable. HOWEVER, if you compared the DCTV
>conversion of the 24 bit Toaster file with the output from an RGB
>24 bit frame-buffer, you would notice the difference.
>	Be sure that DCTV is slightly worse than NTSC, I belive
>mainly in vertical resolution. Although I'm not certain what is
>in that 300K and what is in that 700K file, there is no way that
>NOTHING is lost when you remove 4/7 of the file.

Well, consider this. The toaster output I work with is the 768x482 (non full
size image). That gives a total maximum number of colours of 370,176 on
screen. What is to keep them from just saving THAT data to the 300k file and
tossing the rest of the information that is not used? Or, could they be doing
something sneaky and actually do a compression on the file? I can Lharc up
files and save as much as 95% on space. Couldn't that be done with a 24 bit
pic too?

Find a Toaster, Render a pic, load it into DCTV and save as display file. Then
reverse the process and look at the pic on the same toaster and compare it to
the original file. THEN tell me I'm dreaming :)

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (04/20/91)

>Huh?  "crisp clear image" doesn't apply to NTSC video. <grin>
>
>-- Bob
>
> The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
>  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
>      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
>    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
>    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

Okokok, the same muddy glop that I had on the toaster in the first place :)

---------------------------------------

In article <patrick_meloy.5461@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:

>What does having a 'TRUE' 24 bit image have to do with floodfills? If DCTV
>didn't have true 24 bit then I shouldn't be able to toss Toaster pics back
>and forth between it and DCTV without loss of image quality. Even if I save
>off the 700k+ toaster file as a DCTV Display file (300k), then reload the
>300k file and save as 24bit IFF, I get the same crisp clear image on the
>toaster that I had originally.

	You're dreaming. The 300K file contains nowhere NEAR the
resolution as the 24 bit Toaster image. The catch is that the
NTSC display is only slightly better than the DCTV image so the
difference is hardly noticable. HOWEVER, if you compared the DCTV
conversion of the 24 bit Toaster file with the output from an RGB
24 bit frame-buffer, you would notice the difference.
	Be sure that DCTV is slightly worse than NTSC, I belive
mainly in vertical resolution. Although I'm not certain what is
in that 300K and what is in that 700K file, there is no way that
NOTHING is lost when you remove 4/7 of the file.

>---------------------------------------
>| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
>| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
>---------------------------------------

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/20/91)

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) writes:

> Well, I have had DCTV for two nights and already I can see some room for
> improvement. I was a little disappointed that the flood fill only worked
> with a stencil. What I fear is, that this is because it is not a " true "
> 24 bit image that we are dealing with. I hope my fears are groundless. I
> am also concerned that RGB add on device that is coming out soon uses to
> composite signal and converts it to RGB. This sounds like a kludge. Does
> anyone have any more info on this?

I don't have any specific information on the above problem but what I
was told by one of the reps at AmiExpo in NY a few weeks back was
that the current DCTV was just a cheap consumer version.  They plan a
complete rack-mountable professional unit that will address all the
concerns we are having now with the product (ie: lack of RGB,
resolution, etc.).  Also they are suppose to be coming out with a
true 4:2:2 or 4:4:2 system.  Can someone tell us all what these
numbers mean?  I know they have something to do with chroma and
luminance channels but I am unsure as to the "official" meaning of
these figures.

Sounds like they have some good plans ahead.  They also said that if
there was enough interest, they might just port the DCTV paint
software over for the Toaster.  That would be great!

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/20/91)

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:

> What does having a 'TRUE' 24 bit image have to do with floodfills? If DCTV
> didn't have true 24 bit then I shouldn't be able to toss Toaster pics back
> and forth between it and DCTV without loss of image quality. Even if I save
> off the 700k+ toaster file as a DCTV Display file (300k), then reload the
> 300k file and save as 24bit IFF, I get the same crisp clear image on the
> toaster that I had originally.

Huh?  "crisp clear image" doesn't apply to NTSC video. <grin>

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/20/91)

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:

> >Well, I have had DCTV for two nights and already I can see some room for
> >improvement. I was a little disappointed that the flood fill only worked
> >with a stencil. What I fear is, that this is because it is not a " true "
> >24 bit image that we are dealing with. I hope my fears are groundless. I
> >am also concerned that RGB add on device that is coming out soon uses to
> >composite signal and converts it to RGB. This sounds like a kludge. Does
> >anyone have any more info on this?
>
> Oops, I forgot. If you take a better look you will see that you can use the
> continuous line tool with a fill. Outline the area you want filled and
> presto! A straight floodfill would be near impossible since a flood fill
> requires a continuous single color border around the area to be filled. You
> may be looking at a seemingly 'all same colour' area and try to flood fill
> it, then have it bleed all over the picture. Then you'd be yelling about a
> buggy flood fill :)

Right!  Most people get so use to Dpaint III and only 16 colors that
they lose touch with the ideas behind 24-bit images.  I'm not saying
that's what happened to Neil <grin> but you can't just fill what
seems to be a solid color.  There may not be a solid color available
in a digitized image of any consequence.  Hence, you have to create a
boundry line and fill inside of this boundry or as you said above,
spill over.  I find that it becomes more difficult to paint when you
have such a large pallette.  You have to actually be a reasonable
artist to get the desired effect and you don't have the "Well, I only
had 16 colors to work with" excuse for lousy shading, blending etc.

In article <patrick_meloy.5615@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:

>Well, consider this. The toaster output I work with is the 768x482 (non full
>size image). That gives a total maximum number of colours of 370,176 on
>screen. What is to keep them from just saving THAT data to the 300k file and
>tossing the rest of the information that is not used? Or, could they be doing
>something sneaky and actually do a compression on the file? I can Lharc up
>files and save as much as 95% on space. Couldn't that be done with a 24 bit
>pic too?

	370K colors is about 18 bit, so you save 1/4 space if
that was done. Also, try lharcing an IFF. You save very little
space, on the order of 10%. It is text files that really compress
well.

>Find a Toaster, Render a pic, load it into DCTV and save as display file. Then
>reverse the process and look at the pic on the same toaster and compare it to
>the original file. THEN tell me I'm dreaming :)

	Yes, because the Toaster is outputting NTSC and the DCTV
is outputting almost NTSC. Compare the DCTV image to an RGB 24
bit framebuffer and you'll see the difference.
	DCTV is very good for video work, but comparing it to a
24 bit frame buffer just isn't accurate.

>---------------------------------------
>| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
>| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
>---------------------------------------

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/21/91)

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
> neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) writes:
>> I am also concerned that RGB add on device that is coming out soon uses to
>> composite signal and converts it to RGB. This sounds like a kludge. Does
>> anyone have any more info on this?
>
> I don't have any specific information on the above problem but what I was
> told by one of the reps at AmiExpo in NY a few weeks back was that the
> current DCTV was just a cheap consumer version.  They plan a complete
> rack-mountable professional unit that will address all the concerns we
> are having now with the product (ie: lack of RGB, resolution, etc.).
> Also they are suppose to be coming out with a true 4:2:2 or 4:4:2 system.
> Can someone tell us all what these numbers mean? I know they have something
> to do with chroma and luminance channels

That would be 4:2:2 YUV.  It defines the ratio of sampling of Y (luminance),
versus the U:V (color diffs R-Y, B-Y) data.  Older systems use 4:1:1.

For example, to sample 720 dots/line, you might sample Y at 13.5MHz, while
U and V are each sampled at 6.7MHz (4:2:2).  Thus the luminance can change for
_every_ dot, but the color changes every two dots (altho you can interpolate).
Using only 4:1:1 would halve that color change frequency.

As there are YUV->RGB encoder chips, the answer to the original question is
that they'd most likely tap into the stored YUV data, not the composite signal.

PS: To save memory space, YUV can be encoded as Delta values (DYUV). In CD-I,
for example, 4:2:2 DYUV is used.  Each word defines two pixels: 4-bits delta
for each pixel of Y, allowing each pixel to change luminance.  The other dual
4-bits are used for the DU and DY for both pixels (interpolated linearly).
Because the eye is more sensitive to luminance than color, a DYUV device
is preferable to DRGB (Amiga HAM).  best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

PPS: Pick up a Signetics Video Handbook... has the encode/decode chips.

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (04/22/91)

Everyone listen:

Copy protection.

IMAGINE it.

Hint: it is the first thing you see.

Gotta zapppppppppper

The Riddler.

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/22/91)

In article <patrick_meloy.5461@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:

>What does having a 'TRUE' 24 bit image have to do with floodfills? If DCTV
>didn't have true 24 bit then I shouldn't be able to toss Toaster pics back
>and forth between it and DCTV without loss of image quality. Even if I save
>off the 700k+ toaster file as a DCTV Display file (300k), then reload the
>300k file and save as 24bit IFF, I get the same crisp clear image on the
>toaster that I had originally.

Whoa My OverZealous Friend!

To begin with DCTV is not true 24 bit display. Anything using NTSC as a final
output is not 24 bit. DCTV is a very clever encoding scheme toward producing
24 bit graphics. What concerned me, was, how they were going to turn a composite
NTSC signal into RGB. It is easy to make a good signal bad, but it is not easy
to make a bad signal look good. You aren't going to sell me on NTSC. I have
worked with it too long to have any respect for it. It is a necessary EVIL.

 My complaint about floodfills is another issue. There are many different
fill algorithms. You can fill an antialiased bounded shape very successfully.
I have written such a routine many years ago. It was based on a Siggraph paper
about as old. Why did they chose to use the stencil to contain the filling
algorithm? Their stencil is only 1 bit! This makes for some ugly looking filled
areas. Whovever said I couldn't learn a paint program in two days knows very
little about my experience. I wouldn't underestimate yours. Everytime I get on
the program I learn more about its limitations. It is about as good as DPaint
III, only more bits of color resolution. I was hoping for more out of the paint
program. Initially, my use is not to use rendered images, but to use the paint
program to do higher quality animations than I can turn out with DPaint. The
fill routines are essential to what I am trying to do. Thus my lament. Hope-
fully, their next version of the software will be better. Hopefully, what I
fear about the hardware is unfounded. If it is, I will have to try a Fire-
Cracker. What I want to know is how come there is a 24 bit RGB board for the
Mac for under $500  and the firecracker is $1400?

neil

>---------------------------------------
>| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
>| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |

Only 3176 shopping days left till the next millenium!

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/23/91)

In article <patrick_meloy.5471@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:

>Oops, I forgot. If you take a better look you will see that you can use the
>continuous line tool with a fill. Outline the area you want filled and
>presto! A straight floodfill would be near impossible since a flood fill
>requires a continuous single color border around the area to be filled. You
>may be looking at a seemingly 'all same colour' area and try to flood fill
>it, then have it bleed all over the picture. Then you'd be yelling about a
>buggy flood fill :)

Look, since I didn't explain what I am doing I will forgive this paragraph.
Not everyone wants filled in areas as they work. If you are doing animation,
you work with line drawings and fill them in later. You want your lines clean,
otherwise it looks like it was done on a computer. As I mentioned earlier,
there are algorithms for filling antialiased bounded areas. An the least they
could have done is given me more bits for the stencil. Running a filter over
a line blurs it and this is not the look I want.

neil

--

mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/23/91)

In article <patrick_meloy.5615@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>, patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) writes:
> Well, consider this. The toaster output I work with is the 768x482 (non full
> size image). That gives a total maximum number of colours of 370,176 on
> screen. What is to keep them from just saving THAT data to the 300k file and
> tossing the rest of the information that is not used? Or, could they be doing

Many people make this mistake. It would require a 19bit lookup table with 24
bit entries which works out to be 1.5M just for the lookup table.

> Find a Toaster, Render a pic, load it into DCTV and save as display file. Then
> reverse the process and look at the pic on the same toaster and compare it to
> the original file. THEN tell me I'm dreaming :)

This sequence does in fact alter the image but not noticeably on a composite
display. Colors bleed a little bit more.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

In article <iNcP16w164w@graphics.rent.com>, bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
> that the current DCTV was just a cheap consumer version.  They plan a
> complete rack-mountable professional unit that will address all the
> concerns we are having now with the product (ie: lack of RGB,
> resolution, etc.).  Also they are suppose to be coming out with a
> true 4:2:2 or 4:4:2 system.  Can someone tell us all what these
> numbers mean?  I know they have something to do with chroma and
> luminance channels but I am unsure as to the "official" meaning of
> these figures.

These refer to the sampling rates in a digital component video system. The
numbers are actually ratios. 4:2:2 is the sample ratio for Y, Cb, Cr
respectively and is the ratio used in all D1 systems. The luminance (Y) is
sampled twice as much as the chrominance components because of the eye's
decreased sensitivity to color bandwidth. 4:4:4:4 is the digital sampling
ratio used in many professional video graphics systems. It also refers to
the sample rate on Y, Cb, and Cr and the extra 4 refers to the sampling of
a key signal (like an alpha plane for compositing/transparency). If I remember
correctly, Digital Creations has plans for a 4:4:4:4 version of DCTV.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (04/24/91)

> IMAGINE it.
>
> Hint: it is the first thing you see.
>
> Gotta zapppppppppper

        Would it have something to do with un-copy protecting IMAGINE?
                David

 This is from
     moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
     moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/24/91)

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:

> > IMAGINE it.
> >
> > Hint: it is the first thing you see.
> >
> > Gotta zapppppppppper
>
>         Would it have something to do with un-copy protecting IMAGINE?
>                 David
>
>  This is from
>      moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
>      moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
> who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

What is this childish crap?  First of all, Imagine is NOT copy
protected.  So all this innuendo is stupid.  We all know that they
have that lame startup screen and we all know that you just zap the
Imagine program to get rid if it.  I think it's more a productivity
issue than a copy-protection thing.  It takes too bloody long for
that lame startup screen to load and I cringe everytime it comes up.
A patch was posted previously for 1.0 that got rid of it.  I would
like it if someone could just post the patch for 1.1 as well because
the startup screen is just an annoyance especially when you purchased
the program to begin with.

Almost as much of an annoyance as the above foolish posts.

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/25/91)

In a message From: bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm)

>moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:
>
>> > IMAGINE it.
>> >
>> > Hint: it is the first thing you see.
>> >
>> > Gotta zapppppppppper
>>
>>         Would it have something to do with un-copy protecting IMAGINE?
>>                 David
>>
>>  This is from
>>      moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
>>      moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
>> who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet
>
>What is this childish crap?  First of all, Imagine is NOT copy
>protected.  So all this innuendo is stupid.  We all know that they
>have that lame startup screen and we all know that you just zap the
>Imagine program to get rid if it.  I think it's more a productivity
>issue than a copy-protection thing.  It takes too bloody long for
>that lame startup screen to load and I cringe everytime it comes up.
>A patch was posted previously for 1.0 that got rid of it.  I would
>like it if someone could just post the patch for 1.1 as well because
>the startup screen is just an annoyance especially when you purchased
>the program to begin with.

I'm the guy who figured out the fix for 1.0.  Unfortunately, the folks
at Impulse did something clever to 1.1, so I can't use the same technique
to defeat it in the update.  Sorry.  I feel like such a failure.... :-(

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

In article <997@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:

>To begin with DCTV is not true 24 bit display. Anything using NTSC as a final
>output is not 24 bit.

Now this is false. I know of a very good board from Germany/Austria
(the Videomaster VD2001) that provides true 24-bit graphics plus
necessarily NTSC output, because it's thought for use in a professional
video environment. And there you don't have a different choice.

> What concerned me, was, how they were going to turn a composite
>NTSC signal into RGB. It is easy to make a good signal bad, but it is not easy
>to make a bad signal look good. You aren't going to sell me on NTSC. I have
>worked with it too long to have any respect for it. It is a necessary EVIL.

You must have gotten something wrong. They do it exactly the other way
round, the easier way: they produce NTSC out of RGB.

In article <1161@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <997@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:
>>
>>To begin with DCTV is not true 24 bit display. Anything using NTSC as a final
>>output is not 24 bit.
>
>Now this is false. I know of a very good board from Germany/Austria
>(the Videomaster VD2001) that provides true 24-bit graphics plus
>necessarily NTSC output, because it's thought for use in a professional
>video environment. And there you don't have a different choice.

	Peter, the data may be STORED as a 24 bit image, and all
computations may be 24 bit, but the output is NOT 24 bit.

	-- Ethan

"Brain? What is Brain?"

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/27/91)

IMAGINE is copy protected...

It apparently does some kind of snap shot of your system.  Try to run it on
another machine after you've installed it, and it'll crash.

It'll stick wierd control characters in your GLOBALS timeline...insert
ACTORS that aren't there.  And if you get as far as a RENDER, it LOCKS
after the initialization phase.

The protection has been verified by IMPULSE!

Sean

BTW> I'm not a pirate...I was trying to demonstrate the local dealer's copy
     at a TV station.  After an hour's work, I decided to call Impulse, and
     their tech support (such as it is) told me about the protection.

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/27/91)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

> IMAGINE is copy protected...
>
> It apparently does some kind of snap shot of your system.  Try to run it on
> another machine after you've installed it, and it'll crash.
>
> It'll stick wierd control characters in your GLOBALS timeline...insert
> ACTORS that aren't there.  And if you get as far as a RENDER, it LOCKS
> after the initialization phase.
>
> The protection has been verified by IMPULSE!
>
> Sean
>
> BTW> I'm not a pirate...I was trying to demonstrate the local dealer's copy
>      at a TV station.  After an hour's work, I decided to call Impulse, and
>      their tech support (such as it is) told me about the protection.

Sorry.  Last I heard it wasn't.  Since I purchased the software and
have only RE-Installed it when I needed another copy, I guess I never
had a chance to find out.  My apologies to those who are trying to
de-protect it.  However, since the original disk is copyable prior to
installation, why is there a need to deprotect it?  The only change I
would like to see is to get rid of the loading of the startup screen.

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/28/91)

In article <1161@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>Now this is false. I know of a very good board from Germany/Austria
>(the Videomaster VD2001) that provides true 24-bit graphics plus
>necessarily NTSC output, because it's thought for use in a professional
>video environment. And there you don't have a different choice.

Peter, NTSC is not 24 bits of display. I could not tell you what happens inside
the DCTV, but I suspect it is a decoder and somehow they are able to encode
24 bit information in the header of the image. But the display is NTSC and
NTSC is not 24  bits. NTSC color is a kludge to put color in a signal that was
never designed to contain color information. If I remember correctly NTSC can
only resolve something like 300,000 colors. That is not 24 bits. I am looking
for a crad, which will come out some day, that will do RGB for under $500.
The Mac has one, why not Amiga. Converting RGB to NTSC is no big deal.

>You must have gotten something wrong. They do it exactly the other way
>round, the easier way: they produce NTSC out of RGB.

You have misunderstood me here. It is true that they convert an RGB signal to
NTSC. However, it is some kind of clever encoding scheme. What I was saying
is, that in the manual they are advertising a device that will take the output
of the DCTV and turn it into RGB again, only decoded. How they will do this is
a complete mystery to me, because they will be taking an inferior quality
signal, NTSC and turning it into RGB.

neil

--
Only 3171 shopping days left till the next millenium!

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (04/28/91)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>IMAGINE is copy protected...
>
>It apparently does some kind of snap shot of your system.  Try to run it on
>another machine after you've installed it, and it'll crash.

I'm not so sure, sean. I have two machines and have moved the program
from one to the other after it was installed. I've had no problems other
than what I would consider *real* bugs in the software, many of which
I have verified with other registered users who are running it on the
original machine it was installed on.

>It'll stick wierd control characters in your GLOBALS timeline...insert
>ACTORS that aren't there.  And if you get as far as a RENDER, it LOCKS
>after the initialization phase.

I haven't had any problems with those. The problems I have had are:
	1> System often crashes on an Undo (after heavy editing);
	2> System crashes after entering unreasonable numbers in the
	   Action editor;
	3> Cycle editor refuses to load a "cycle" object that has been
	   saved and reloaded 8 times (I had this verified, reported
	   it to Impulse(1.0) and they haven't fixed it(1.1);
	4> Grouped objects often "fly" away from their own axis(!) in
	   the Stage editor during rotations. (can't figure this one out
	   but it seems that if you add an increment of .0001 to the
	   position bar on 1,2 and sometimes 3 axis, from the original
           position it loaded in, the object is ok again);
	5> the accuracy of 1/1000 is not always maintained. (things move
	   around aliittle).
	6> their are others I can't think of right now and I suppose
	   many more to come:( but the point being, maybe you got a
	   "bum" copy or you have found some *new* bugs.)
>The protection has been verified by IMPULSE!

Sounds pretty strange to me inlight of the above.

--
Stephen Menzies
Email: S.Menzies@CAM.ORG

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/29/91)

The output from the DCTV device is not 24bits, it's 22bits.  However, it
uses a pallette of 24bits.

A 24bit image may be manipulated without any degradation to the color
information stored in the file, and then saved as a full 24bit IFF-ILBM.
You just work on a 22bit display, the device doesn't truncate or remap the
information in the file.

And besides, there is NO difference onscreen anyway.  22bits equals out to
4.2 million possible colors simultaneously (from a 24bit pallette
remember).  At 736x482 pixels, you have 354,752 USEABLE colors.  An extra
two bitplanes would give your image NO better display.  If DCTV only
displayed 19bits out of 24, there would still be NO difference in image
quality.

Since we are dealing with video, and its relatively low resolution,
argueing over what is considered a "true" 24bit device is pointless,
because in this context there is no difference (so long as all of the color
information in the file remains intact).

Sean

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (04/29/91)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>The output from the DCTV device is not 24bits, it's 22bits.  However, it
>uses a pallette of 24bits.
>And besides, there is NO difference onscreen anyway.  22bits equals out to
>4.2 million possible colors simultaneously (from a 24bit pallette
>remember).  At 736x482 pixels, you have 354,752 USEABLE colors.  An extra
>two bitplanes would give your image NO better display.

Well regrettably there is a difference. I own both DCTV and a Toaster and
DCTV exhibits some fairly obvious banding on images that the Toaster
displays just fine. Since both are NTSC devices, DCTV is obviously not doing
the best that NTSC can handle, let alone coming close to a 24bit RGB output.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/30/91)

As long as they're not trying to install Imagine onto another machine,
there really is no reason to even try and break this protection.

The software, like most, has a one machine liscence (sp), so it's really
illegal to have it installed on more than one machine.

You can make backups all you want, and as long as you're just installing it
on the very first machine you installed it on, there will be no hassles.

:) I feel sorry for anyone who couldn't wait to see what the package was
   like, and decided to run it on a dealers Amiga :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (04/30/91)

 If you are use to 24RGB output you coulndt say DCTV is close to it.
 A good example is text and windows... Pretty much blury.
 And you can get the old HAM effect visible when you import images from
 sculpt for example...
 That's from personal experience, *I* think DCTV is to 24bit has HAM is
 to 12 bit...
 But for what DCTV is intented for it perform right!
 And how could expect more with 4bit/pixel, simply amazing...

In article <1002@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:
>In article <1161@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>
>>Now this is false. I know of a very good board from Germany/Austria
>>(the Videomaster VD2001) that provides true 24-bit graphics plus
>>necessarily NTSC output, because it's thought for use in a professional
              ^^^^
(Sorry, this is really PAL, but not principle difference.)

>>video environment. And there you don't have a different choice.
>
>Peter, NTSC is not 24 bits of display. .....
>...... If I remember correctly NTSC can
>only resolve something like 300,000 colors. That is not 24 bits.

Ok, ok, NTSC (or the same with PAL) can't take *full* advantage of
those 24 bits, but they can give much more colors than the normal
4096 colors display.

>You have misunderstood me here. It is true that they convert an RGB signal to
>NTSC. However, it is some kind of clever encoding scheme.

As far as I understand the problem with NTSC (and PAL) coding is that
under these schemes you cannot use full saturated colors and must limit
the saturation (depending on which color) to a level NTSC can take up with.
This indeed can be done by such a clever encoding scheme.

> What I was saying
>is, that in the manual they are advertising a device that will take the output
>of the DCTV and turn it into RGB again, only decoded. How they will do this is
>a complete mystery to me, because they will be taking an inferior quality
>signal, NTSC and turning it into RGB.

I guess there's no magic at all. They sure don't take the analog NTSC
signal as source, but the digital RGB data available one step earlier
in their box. Then they perhaps need a little adaptor board to make
these signal lines available. But this is all pure speculation.

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (05/01/91)

In article <8909@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>The output from the DCTV device is not 24bits, it's 22bits.  However, it
>uses a pallette of 24bits.
>
>A 24bit image may be manipulated without any degradation to the color
>information stored in the file, and then saved as a full 24bit IFF-ILBM.
>You just work on a 22bit display, the device doesn't truncate or remap the
>information in the file.

Hi, Sean.  I was hoping what you said in that paragraph above was
true, but up till now I was unable to verify it. Now I am able to verify
it, and it's NOT true, unfortunately.  DCTV *does* induce artifacts
into files, at times, depending on what the original file looked like
and it's relatively easy to prove providing you have some OTHER
extended or "deep color" hardware device on the same Amiga as your
DCTV.  In this case, I have a HAM-E box and DCTV hooked up at the same
time.

I can create (via many methods - Vista Pro, Imagine, ES300C scanner,
whatever) a clean 24-bit IFF file.  Depending on what's in that file,
when it is brought into DCTV it will often develop a case of "color
crawl" - false rainbows on various small detail areas, like close
parallel lines, metallic clothing, very fine human hair, and etc.
I'm sure you've seen this artifacting.

Now if I save that file OUT of DCTV as an IFF24-bit save, and look
at both the original save, and the DCTV save when loaded into HAM-E
the latter is most *definitely* not identical to the former.  The
color crawl that DCTV displayed in its NTSC mode gets saved back
into the file when is saved out of DCTV as IFF24.  Since HAM-E isn't
NTSC it doesn't induce any color crawl of its own (although it does
have some other problems) and it's very easy to see what DCTV has done
to the file while saving it.

A FireCracker would be a better testbed for the same two files and I
hope to be able to do it that way soon, although something tells me
I won't be able to have an FC, a DCTV and a HAM-E all hooked up to
my 2500 simultaneously.  So far, the latter two are working together
okay and aren't having a slug-fest on my desk :-)

>Sean

  "Half of me wants to knock you out.                       Harv Laser
  Half of me wants to tell you that           {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
  I'm sorry..."                         American People/Link: CBM*HARV

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/01/91)

Those bugs are deffinately there in v1.0 of Imagine.

But Jesus Christ, I talked with an EMPLOYEE of the company that makes the
bleedin' program, and it IS COPY PROTECTED.

What more do you want?  A transcript of our conversation???

While I'll admit that their tech support really stinks...and it could have
been the janitor who answered the phone, this is highly unlikely.

If you've been able to move it from machine to machine, then this only
proves that is a less than effective method on certain machines.  But try
and move it from an A3000 to an A2500, and you're just asking for grief!

Sean

colin_fox@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) (05/01/91)

sschaem@starnet.uucp writes:
> I have to object 100% to that! come on...
> On the personal Iris you just add you video ram to get 24bit has you
> add memory to a A3000.

He wasn't saying that you CAN'T expand the Iris, just that that's what it
comes with  - it was for explanitory purposes, not competitive.

> DCTV -> 4 bit per pixel, 640x400 (+Overscan).

Are you out of your mind? 4 bits/pixel? 16 colours? HA!

> You can display the full 24bit palette for having 24bit without 24bit
> is 'not' trully possible or you impose limitation of color choices.
> And the amiga has only 5 true planes.

Yeah, well DCTV has it's own NTSC output, and therefore isn't restricted by
the Amiga's video circuitry. And what does the first sentence in the last
group mean?

> With true 24bit display you can display DCTV images, but DCTV cant
> display corectly all 'true' 24bit display...

What are you talking about? Have you tried?

> Has I laready said, try line drawing, text, windows etc... on DCTV.

Since DCTV uses a separate frame buffer, you would have to write your own
graphics library to use it. But you'd have to expect that unless Commodore
included it on-board.

> If you compare DCTV vs Colorburst you will see little diference with
> 'TV' images (DCTV will look a little more blury), but with anything
> else DCTV will go short.

Again - have you tried? And what do you mean 'but with anything else DCTV will
go short"? 24 bits is 24 bits. Or in the apparent case of DCTV, 22 bits.
Still better than 16 bits.

+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Colin_Fox@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca      | "...heavy!"                      |
+-------------------------------------+ "There's that word again! Is     |
| Informal home of SIGGRAPH Vancouver,|  there a problem with gravity in |
|          and proud of it!           |  the future?" -- Doc             |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/02/91)

>> What I was saying is, that in the manual they are advertising a device
>> that will take the output of the DCTV and turn it into RGB again,
>
>I guess there's no magic at all. They sure don't take the analog NTSC
>signal as source, but the digital RGB data available one step earlier

Could someone here with a DCTV, open it up and post the chip numbers they
find?  If so, then I suspect that we could come to some sound conclusions.
Or better guesses, at least :-).  thx - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/02/91)

You have to pick your colors carefully with DCTV, that I'll agree.

However, most instances of banding can be resolved with a quick pass of the
NTSC FILTER fill/wipe...

Also, you aren't taking into account DCTV's strong point.  Try animating
with your Toaster's display :)

You won't do it without alot more expensive gear.

DCTV isn't the end-all, be-all device some people may be looking for, but
what it does it does well.  The next display adapter I buy is going to have
to have RGB out, non-interlaced, and preferably support a moniter larger
than 13".  But even after I have such a device, DCTV will still be most
helpful...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (05/02/91)

 Have I tried? Of course I tried stuff on the DCTV!!
 And people you laught when I say 4 bit/pixel but think one second!
 DCTV use the amiga video chip to output its 'compacted' data, than what
 resolution amiga has at 60frame second? 640x400x4... and DCTV dont flip
 pages to get more data. (I show DCTV images with my ushow program..).
 Hame is '12bit' but only use 6 bit, that make you laught too?
 DCTV not only rely on the previews color output but also on its
 position on screen (Just an idea!).

 For example drawind a yellow line will not only change data on 1 bit
 aray but many... It need transition colors before geeting to 'true
 color'.
 That will make a blury effect eliminating some detail, and could cause
 a ham like effect ig color chnage is to sudden.

 Anyway, DCTV is 4bit or 3bit per pixel, and Colorburst is 8bit or
 24bit.Take DCTV out of its desing enviroment and it will not perform
 has a 24bit display.

								Stephan.

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (05/03/91)

In article <1179@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>I guess there's no magic at all. They sure don't take the analog NTSC
>signal as source, but the digital RGB data available one step earlier
>in their box. Then they perhaps need a little adaptor board to make
>these signal lines available. But this is all pure speculation.

Well..., I spoke to someone at Digital Creations the other day. He was not
very specific, but he mentioned that he thought the RGB device would go
between the DCTV and the Amiga RGB port. My reaction is that this does not
make much sense. I don't know that much about the RGB output, except what I
see in the manual and it does not look bi-directional. If you put a device of
some kind between the DCTV and the Amiga, it seems to me that you are bypassing
the DCTV altogether. The person I spoke to said that he thought it would RGBize
the composite signal to give RGB which confirms my concerns. He said it was
to be done mostly for those who want to apply a genlock. He said their main
customer base was video oriented. And that you still get more colors than ham.
I saw in the manual where they were going to be aiming at the Desktop
Publishing market as well. My reaction is still that painting in NTSC will give
you an inferior quality image to painting in RGB even if the DCTV can create
24 bit ILBM files, because you are not really painting with 24bits. I spoke
to Progressive Peripherals, who actually make the DCTV box. They had no comment
until June when this RGB device is supposed to be released. Well, it looks like
I will have to get a Firecracker, which is too bad, because it is very
expensive and you can buy a similar device for a Mac for under $500. Of course,
in order to put a 68040 in the Mac LC you have to invest $3000. YOW!!!

neil

--
Only 3166 shopping days left till the next millenium!

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (05/03/91)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Those bugs are deffinately there in v1.0 of Imagine.

I believe I was describing the bugs in v1.1

>But Jesus Christ, I talked with an EMPLOYEE of the company that makes the
>bleedin' program, and it IS COPY PROTECTED.
>
>What more do you want?  A transcript of our conversation???

No, because I believe you.

>While I'll admit that their tech support really stinks...and it could have
>been the janitor who answered the phone, this is highly unlikely.
>
>If you've been able to move it from machine to machine, then this only
>proves that is a less than effective method on certain machines.  But try
>and move it from an A3000 to an A2500, and you're just asking for grief!

Sean, I just moved Imagine1.1 from my 030/2000HD to my A3000 (right behind
me). I opened a project, made a small scene, checked out the Action
editor (everything fine, no strange charcters) and then rendered the pic
in scanline (52secs) and viewed it.  Infact, I moved 1.1 from the 2000
to the 3000 awhile ago and have been working on both machines to the
tune of 40,000ploygons that have been taking upwards of 60hr/frame to
render (film resolution ) and have not had any problems other than
the bugs I mentioned earlier. If there is copy protection , then we're
missing a point or a factor somewhere here.

>Sean

>  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
>  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
>  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
>                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
>  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

-Stephen
--
Stephen Menzies
Email: S.Menzies@CAM.ORG

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (05/04/91)

To avoid utter chaos, confusion, and the end of the universe as we
know it, DCTV is made for Digital Creations by "Progressive Image
Technology", a company in the Sacramento, CA area, not by "Progressive
Peripherals", a company in the Denver, CO area.

  "Half of me wants to knock you out.                       Harv Laser
  Half of me wants to tell you that           {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
  I'm sorry..."                         American People/Link: CBM*HARV

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/05/91)

That's very curious...I've done some color spreads, and added backgrounds
to some 3D files, saved the image as an IFF24 (without ever converting it
to a DCTV display file...this WILL cause artifacting), and then taken them
up to the local dealer's Toaster.

Worked without a hitch...without a glitch.

If others are experiencing problems with their DCTV, I'm sorry.  I do
notice the artifacting that occurs when you use very oversaturated colors.
Typically, this can be solved quite easily by running the NTSC filter
across the image.

When broadcast, the artifacts are unnoticable to the average viewer (they
don't view the pictures a foot and a half from the screen typically), and
I'm careful on my color choice.

It's not perfect.  But if you don't have $2K for a SFC, and $7K for a GOOD
industrial deck, it's the best solution currently IMHO.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/05/91)

I've been thinking about doing just that...

I've always been curious as to just what IS inside the DCTV box.  However,
I haven't wanted to do it because their are no screws.  You could pry open
the bottom, but I wouldn't guarantee you'd be able to put it back together.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/05/91)

60fps really isn't possible on a 640x400x4 screen.  In ANY interlaced mode,
you're only going to be doing 30fps, because the FIELDS are doing 60fps.

640x200 mode will do 60fps fine, because the screen's drawn at that speed.

As for DCTV images, they're stored in 4 and 3 bit images, but the "goobers
and twinkies" perform the necessary magic to unpack the extended
information.

Position, at least to maintain your screen, is critical.  If anything
trashes the upper left corner, and the left edge of the screen, your image
is trashed.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/06/91)

Perhaps they took the protection out of v1.1

My partner received it alittle while after I posted that message to you,
but we haven't tried moving it to any machine but his.  It probubly would
make no difference anyhow, considering we both are running A3000s.

So far, from what I've been able to gather from working with this version,
the only bug I've found personally is that IMAGINE screws up images that
are mapped onto flat surfaces.  It takes whatever the background color (of
the image) is and mixes it all up into the image itself, making it look
really BAD.

It really ticks me off too, because we needed to do some images with a logo
mapped onto the ground, and onto a vertical plane...both look pretty
screwed up.

Sean

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (05/06/91)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Perhaps they took the protection out of v1.1
>
>My partner received it alittle while after I posted that message to you,
>but we haven't tried moving it to any machine but his.  It probubly would
>make no difference anyhow, considering we both are running A3000s.
>
>So far, from what I've been able to gather from working with this version,
>the only bug I've found personally is that IMAGINE screws up images that
>are mapped onto flat surfaces.  It takes whatever the background color (of
>the image) is and mixes it all up into the image itself, making it look
>really BAD.
>
>It really ticks me off too, because we needed to do some images with a logo
>mapped onto the ground, and onto a vertical plane...both look pretty
>screwed up.
>
>Sean

>  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
>  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
>  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
>                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
>  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

Thats really strange, Sean. I don't have the problem you're describing at
all. My flat maps are A-OK. But I have problems that others apparently
don't and others are having problems that probably you nor I have. It's
almost like we all are working with different versions of the software.
This gives a different meaning to the word "unstable". Personally I
find Imagine VERY unpredicable.
	The only thing I can suggest re: flat mapping , is to make sure
your brush axis is not flush with the surface of the flat object. This
will often give that "digital bounce" I'm sure you've heard of before.
Other than that (and I suspect you already were aware of that) I can't
imagine what's causing the problem.

cya -steve

Stephen Menzies
Email: S.Menzies@CAM.ORG

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.084353.12871@CAM.ORG>, menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) writes:

> Thats really strange, Sean. I don't have the problem you're describing at
> all. My flat maps are A-OK. But I have problems that others apparently
> don't and others are having problems that probably you nor I have. It's
> almost like we all are working with different versions of the software.
> This gives a different meaning to the word "unstable". Personally I
> find Imagine VERY unpredicable.

Much more likely is it is written in C and has an array overwrite somewhere
(or other similar, simple, but hard to find) error in the code which
affects different parts of the code/os depending on how the code has
been scatter loaded at execution. A very common problem in large system
programming.

Regards Alan