[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DCTV - internal chips

cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) (05/05/91)

Kevin Darling writes:
>> Could someone here with a DCTV, open it up and post the chip numbers
>> they find?

welllll, i opened up my DCTV and was confronted with a thin paper tab
that stated that <paraphrased> "if this seal is broken, the warranty is
void", and it was glued across the two halves of the case. and the
insides are surrounded by a foil rf sheild, so nothing can be seen.

but then, it's a ninety day warranty....so, drop me a line in two
months, and i'll let you know what's inside.  ;^)

paul theodoropoulos     cassiel@well.sf.ca.us

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/05/91)

cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) writes:
>welllll, i opened up my DCTV and was confronted with a thin paper tab
>that stated that <paraphrased> "if this seal is broken, the warranty is
>void", and it was glued across the two halves of the case. and the
>insides are surrounded by a foil rf sheild, so nothing can be seen.
>
>but then, it's a ninety day warranty....so, drop me a line in two
>months, and i'll let you know what's inside.  ;^)

*chuckling*  Thanks for trying to look, anyway, Paul!  My guess is that
you'll find some Signetics digital TV chips in there...

(Terminator voice) - I'll be back.  In a coupla months. thx!
  kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

hamilton@intersil.uucp (05/09/91)

In article <1991May4.204709.18820@ncsu.edu>, kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
> cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) writes:
>>welllll, i opened up my DCTV and was confronted with a thin paper tab
>>that stated that <paraphrased> "if this seal is broken, the warranty is
>>void", and it was glued across the two halves of the case. and the
>>insides are surrounded by a foil rf sheild, so nothing can be seen.
>>
>>but then, it's a ninety day warranty....so, drop me a line in two
>>months, and i'll let you know what's inside.  ;^)
>
> *chuckling*  Thanks for trying to look, anyway, Paul!  My guess is that
> you'll find some Signetics digital TV chips in there...

Well, being either braver or stupider than most, and working for the data
acq division of Harris here, I already opened mine up.  It's fundamentally
an 8 bit flash converter (Micropower, can't remember the model), and
a huge honkin ASIC.  There's also some glue logic and some other stuff.
--
Fred Hamilton                          "Unlike most of you,
Harris Semiconductor                    I am not a nut..."