[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] PBMplus support utilities

ajbrouw@ecl001.UUCP (Albert-Jan Brouwer) (05/09/91)

There have been some queries in the past for utilities to convert between
PBM formats and 24bit IFFs so perhaps it would be handy to know that I've
uploaded 24toPPM and PPMto24, as well as a PPM previewer, to ab20.larc.nasa.gov

The archive is called ppm.lzh. No doubt it has been / will be moved from
incoming/amiga to say /amiga/graphics/something.

PPM, portable pixmap, is the most general of the PBM intermediate formats.

Enjoy,

--
Albert-Jan Brouwer      "It is bad luck to be superstitious."
Pelt Computers          OudeDelft 121,  2611 BE  Delft, The Netherlands

xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/11/91)

In article <ajbrouw.3480@ecl001.UUCP>, ajbrouw@ecl001.UUCP (Albert-Jan Brouwer) writes:
>There have been some queries in the past for utilities to convert between
>PBM formats and 24bit IFFs so perhaps it would be handy to know that I've
>uploaded 24toPPM and PPMto24, as well as a PPM previewer, to ab20.larc.nasa.gov
>
>The archive is called ppm.lzh. No doubt it has been / will be moved from
>incoming/amiga to say /amiga/graphics/something.
>
>PPM, portable pixmap, is the most general of the PBM intermediate formats.

   Could you also post the source codes for these programs?  I use PBMPlus
on UNIX systems and transfer the output files to my Amiga, because the
DECstations allow me to convert images that are much bigger than my A500
can handle, in a fraction of the time than my Amiga could do it.  If I
had an A3000 with 12M of memory, that would be a different story, but I
do not have such a system, so I have to make do with what I've got.

>Enjoy,
>
>--
>Albert-Jan Brouwer      "It is bad luck to be superstitious."
>Pelt Computers          OudeDelft 121,  2611 BE  Delft, The Netherlands
>UUCP hp4nl!cbmnlux!ecl001!ajbrouw

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /

ajbrouw@ecl001.UUCP (Albert-Jan Brouwer) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.150332.470@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>In article <ajbrouw.3480@ecl001.UUCP>, ajbrouw@ecl001.UUCP (Albert-Jan Brouwer) writes:
>
> >I've uploaded 24toPPM and PPMto24, as well as a PPM previewer, to
> >ab20.larc.nasa.gov. The archive is called ppm.lzh.
>
>Could you also post the source codes for these programs?  I use PBMPlus
>on UNIX systems and transfer the output files to my Amiga, because the
>DECstations allow me to convert images that are much bigger than my A500
>can handle.

I'm sorry. They've been implemented them in assembly. Sure, C (and soon
perhaps C++) is the way to go, but over the years we built this really
nice development environment with resource tracking, care free error
reporting, transparent buffered file I/O, etc. etc.

This makes it easy to churn out small tools/programs like these eventhough
it's assembly.

> If I had an A3000 with 12M of memory, that would be a different story,
> but I do not have such a system

Note that the conversion is "streamed", it doesn't require a lot of memory,
only lots of disk-space.

> / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
>/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /

--
Albert-Jan Brouwer      "It is bad luck to be superstitious."
Pelt Computers          OudeDelft 121,  2611 BE  Delft, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 15 143824      FAX +31 15 146916
UUCP hp4nl!cbmnlux!ecl001!ajbrouw