[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] A3000 - What is the best Monitor to buy???

6600jo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jonas Fjallstam) (05/08/91)

I just ordered my A3000/25-50 through the Power-up
offer, and am wondering what monitor to buy for it.
So far I have heard that the Sony CPD 1302 is a good
bet but am not sure if the black border will be a
problem.
If anyone owns one of the following I would
appreciate additional info.

Sony CPD-1302: Great color, works from 15-34Khz,
C.
Sony CPD-1304: like 1302 but has 28-50Khz range
C= 1950: Works well without the border problem.
(poor quality?)
Mitsubishi Diamondscan: composit in is nice supports
15Khz interlaced RGB.
NEC 3D: Good monitor , supports 15Khz interlaced
mode.

Questions - does the Sony 1302 support 15Khz
interlaced mode.
Would it be a problem not having 15Khz capability as
with the 1304. The 1304 scans up to 50Khz and may
support future Higher resolutions.
DCTV will work if output to a VCR or TV so this is
not a problem. Colorburst is another story, will I
need 15Khz interlaced for this board???
Any other Good monitors for >700 dollars?

I rember reading about somebody who got thier 1302
to fill in the borders, How was this done???

The salesman at HT Electronics in Sunnyvale, CA said
the C= 1950 was the only monitor that could get rid
of this border, Is this true???

Do all monitors have a problem with the first line
flicker or is this only the 1950.

I am really confused and would appreciate an advice.
Is the border and first line flicker really a
problem or no big deal????

Thanx in advance....   Jo-
:s
?
:!save

Black border

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (05/08/91)

6600jo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jonas Fjallstam) writes:
>I just ordered my A3000/25-50 through the Power-up
>offer, and am wondering what monitor to buy for it.
>So far I have heard that the Sony CPD 1302 is a good
>bet but am not sure if the black border will be a
>problem.
>If anyone owns one of the following I would
>appreciate additional info.
>Sony CPD-1302: Great color, works from 15-34Khz,
>C.
>Sony CPD-1304: like 1302 but has 28-50Khz range
>C= 1950: Works well without the border problem.
>(poor quality?)
>Mitsubishi Diamondscan: composit in is nice supports
>15Khz interlaced RGB.
>NEC 3D: Good monitor , supports 15Khz interlaced
>mode.

>Questions - does the Sony 1302 support 15Khz
>interlaced mode.

Yes, but need to manually adjust the vertical size after mode jump.
not a problem, unless you switch mode every minute :-)

>Would it be a problem not having 15Khz capability as
>with the 1304. The 1304 scans up to 50Khz and may
>support future Higher resolutions.
unless you want to use the 1280mode, or 640x960 mode, usually you don't
need it.

>DCTV will work if output to a VCR or TV so this is
>not a problem. Colorburst is another story, will I
>need 15Khz interlaced for this board???
>Any other Good monitors for >700 dollars?

more than 700?, get some 16" ones!

>I rember reading about somebody who got thier 1302
>to fill in the borders, How was this done???

I tried to use the external hor sizing, and still get side borders.

>The salesman at HT Electronics in Sunnyvale, CA said
>the C= 1950 was the only monitor that could get rid
>of this border, Is this true???

Most monitors can get rid of top and bottom border, but not side borders.

>Do all monitors have a problem with the first line
>flicker or is this only the 1950.

I tried Sony 1302, NEC old Multisync, Diamond Scan 1381A, and all can
be adjusted to get rid of top and bottom border, and thus the first
interlace flickering line.

>I am really confused and would appreciate an advice.
>Is the border and first line flicker really a
>problem or no big deal????

not big deal even, remember, if you increased vertical size, but not
horzontal size, your aspect ratio is off, is that a bigger deal?

>Thanx in advance....   Jo-
>:s
>?
>:!save

>Black border

hope this help.
David
maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu

andrewsr@steely.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (05/10/91)

Hey dont forget the Seiko 1450 :-)  (You see, that's what I got)

It has the same trinitron tube as the Sony, but it costs less.  I like
it tremendously.  However, there are a couple of annoying things:

when changing graphic modes, the entire screen jumps a little up and
down (2 or 3 times).

the blue flickers a tad in productivity.

A-MaxII flickers in productivity.  (NO, not prod. interlace, but
productivity).

I don't know why since I have a non-interlaced 1024x768 VGA monitor..

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "If I spent as much time on my classes as I do reading
\X/  Andrews |  news, I'd graduate."  - Brett McCoy

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (05/13/91)

One thing I should stress about my previous follow-up, is that I _don't_
own an A3000, or a de-interlace card.  My comments are in reference to
my experiences with the CPD-1302AW under normal Amiga modes.  In
particular, the 1302 may have different sizing capabilities when it's
operating at different sync frequencies.

				Philip
				pk@wet.uucp
				{cca.ucsf.edu,hoptoad,claris}!wet!pk