[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] WANTED: Full page paint program

yaadmin@levels.sait.edu.au (05/08/91)

Does anybody know of a paint program (pref public domain - but not neccessary)
that will allow me to create pictures that will fill an A4 size page.
say a picture size of about 8"x11" or about 2 - 2 1/2 times the height
of a standard DPaint picture when printed.

Currently, the only way I can do this is to create a picture then print it
in landscape format and scale it to fit when printing.  However, this
creates very chunky pictures.

I want to be able to print title pages for documents with graphics and colours
and allow me to import IFF pics.

What I would really like is something like SuperPaint(tm) on the
Macintosh (Work machine - no flames please) which allows bitmap painting as
well as structured drawing - but I would much rather use my Amiga and colour
printer.

Any help would be appreciated

Robert

 Robert Lacina                                    yaadmin@levels.sait.edu.au
DISCLAIMER: Insert your favourite disclaimer here ->[] Please write legibly.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (05/12/91)

yaadmin@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

> Does anybody know of a paint program (pref public domain - but not neccessary
> that will allow me to create pictures that will fill an A4 size page.
> say a picture size of about 8"x11" or about 2 - 2 1/2 times the height
> of a standard DPaint picture when printed.

Ah...well, you can just use DpaintIII.  Version 3.25 allows just
about any size page and I'm sure you can do an 8x11 page quite easily
if you have the ECS Agnus chip.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (05/13/91)

        DigiPaint 3 supports Super Bitmaps of up to 1024x1024. I think
that Dpaint can do it too, but you have to trick it into doing it or
something of the sort... HAM will give you a very good printing quality,
too. If you're using a color printer, which I assume you are from the
post! Hope I helped!
                        MoonHawk

 This is from
     moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
     moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (05/14/91)

In article <yN1s25w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>Ah...well, you can just use DpaintIII.  Version 3.25 allows just
>about any size page and I'm sure you can do an 8x11 page quite easily
>if you have the ECS Agnus chip.

I disagree. If we have 8x11 at 300 dpi, that's 7.920.000 pixels.
Divide this by 8 to get 990.000 bytes FOR A SINGLE BITPLANE.

Very, very tight, since DPaint needs this memory (chip, of course)
UNFRAGMENTED. I doubt that it is possible without the 2meg Agnus.

People who don't have 2 meg Chipmem will have to resort to lower
resolutions. At 150 dpi, for example, the memory requirement reduces
to 247.500 bytes.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

johno@cbmvax.commodore.com (John Orr - CATS) (05/15/91)

In article <holgerl.2645@amiux.agsc.sub.org> holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) writes:
>In article <yN1s25w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>>Ah...well, you can just use DpaintIII.  Version 3.25 allows just
>>about any size page and I'm sure you can do an 8x11 page quite easily
>>if you have the ECS Agnus chip.
>
>I disagree. If we have 8x11 at 300 dpi, that's 7.920.000 pixels.
>Divide this by 8 to get 990.000 bytes FOR A SINGLE BITPLANE.

You assume that you are printing screen pixels as individual dots on
the printer.  If dithering is required to match the ilbm's colors, you
will not get a one-to-one corespondence of screen pixel to printer
dot.  For example, a black and white 300 dpi printer can only
print 300 black dots per inch, it cannot print grey scale dots.  To
get a grey shade requires dithering, which reduces the apparent number
of "dots" per inch because it takes several printer dots to make
up one screen dot.

In a simple dithering scheme, to get about four grey shades from a B&W
300dpi printer, it would take a 2x2 grid of printer dots to make up a
one grey scale "dot", reducing the resolution from 300dpi to 150 dpi.
Using the same scheme to get about nine grey shades would require a
3x3 grid and would reduce the resolution to 100dpi.  Smarter dithering
methods will yield better results, but the point is that because you are
probably dithering, your one pixel on the screen will correspond to
several on the printer.

--John

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (05/15/91)

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:

>         DigiPaint 3 supports Super Bitmaps of up to 1024x1024. I think
> that Dpaint can do it too, but you have to trick it into doing it or
> something of the sort... HAM will give you a very good printing quality,
> too. If you're using a color printer, which I assume you are from the
> post! Hope I helped!
>                         MoonHawk

You don't have to trick Dpaint III into doing super-bitmaps.  You
just get yourself version 3.25 and then set the page size to whatever
you little heart desires (or RAM can handle) and off you go!  In
fact, Deluxe Paint III supports screen *much* larger than 1024x1024.

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (05/16/91)

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

> You don't have to trick Dpaint III into doing super-bitmaps.  You
> just get yourself version 3.25 and then set the page size to whatever
> you little heart desires (or RAM can handle) and off you go!  In
> fact, Deluxe Paint III supports screen *much* larger than 1024x1024.
>
> -- Bob

        How high will it go? I was looking for around 2250x3300, would it
go THAT high, and, if so, how much chip mem would it take? In 1 bitplane,
of course.
                        MoonHawk

 This is from
     moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
     moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

paulz@hpspdra.spd.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (05/16/91)

Express Paint allows arbitrary size paintings.  I have done just what
you want to do.  2 Meg of memory allows 4 colors at 180 dpi (HP
PaintJet).  More memory would be even better, but there is only so much
room in the A1000 case...

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (05/16/91)

In article <5aZZ28w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:
>
>>         DigiPaint 3 supports Super Bitmaps of up to 1024x1024. I think
>> that Dpaint can do it too, but you have to trick it into doing it or
>> something of the sort... HAM will give you a very good printing quality,
>> too. If you're using a color printer, which I assume you are from the
>> post! Hope I helped!
>>                         MoonHawk
>
>You don't have to trick Dpaint III into doing super-bitmaps.  You
>just get yourself version 3.25 and then set the page size to whatever
>you little heart desires (or RAM can handle) and off you go!  In
>fact, Deluxe Paint III supports screen *much* larger than 1024x1024.
>
>-- Bob
>
> The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
>  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
>      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
>    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
>    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

The problem I have is when I want to clip something out of an "oversized" page
and I want to clip bigger than the screen.  Any way to clip bigger brushes?

I have tried clipping and then "arrowing" down to get more.  But when I save off
the brush, it only saves that screen - not the larger brush I was hoping for...

--
 Guy Dandrea, Network Systems Corp.                       //
 guy@nsco.network.com #129.191.1.1                    \\ //

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (05/17/91)

In article <Twc123w164w@bluemoon.uucp>, David Culberson writes:

> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>

> > You don't have to trick Dpaint III into doing super-bitmaps.  You
> > just get yourself version 3.25 and then set the page size to whatever
> > you little heart desires (or RAM can handle) and off you go!  In
> > fact, Deluxe Paint III supports screen *much* larger than 1024x1024.
> >
> > -- Bob
>
>         How high will it go? I was looking for around 2250x3300, would it
> go THAT high, and, if so, how much chip mem would it take? In 1 bitplane,
> of course.

You might be able to get 2250*3300, if you ran nothing else but DpaintIII.

I could do 2500*2500, (lores 1 bit plane) leaving me with 30K chip mem to
spare, with lots of things loaded in memory (CED, ARN, Popcli, snap, mymenu,
popupmenu, buffers associated with 5 hd partitions). This is on an A2500, with
1Mb chip, 4Mb fast, and 4Mb 32bit memory.

I think that's about 750K or so of chip. Those lucky people with A3000's and
2Mb of chip could EASILY have 3000 * 3500 screens.

For something silly, I did a 24000 * 256 screen (1 bit plane) and it worked. I
was frankly amazed!

>                         MoonHawk

Tacky. Very tacky.

Dac
--
  // _l _  _ > dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au       < munnari!labtam!eyrie!prolix!dac
\X/ (_](_](_ > prolix!dac%eyrie@labtam.oz.au < dac@prolix.ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
David Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (05/17/91)

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) writes:

> The problem I have is when I want to clip something out of an "oversized" pag
> and I want to clip bigger than the screen.  Any way to clip bigger brushes?
>
> I have tried clipping and then "arrowing" down to get more.  But when I save
> the brush, it only saves that screen - not the larger brush I was hoping for.

Sorry, I can't help you there.  I haven't tried that myself.  I will
experiment around and see what I can come up with.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (05/17/91)

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:

>         How high will it go? I was looking for around 2250x3300, would it
> go THAT high, and, if so, how much chip mem would it take? In 1 bitplane,
> of course.

As far as I know, the size is only limited by RAM.  I had no problems
with a 2k x 2k page size.  I believe I tried a 2k x 4k page size also
in Hi-res without a problem.

I will try now...Well, I have a 7 meg system with a ECS Agnus and I
could only get a 2kX2k page size.  Of course I have Workbench and
some other things running.  I would think you should be able to get
what you are looking for if you CTRL-D right into amigados and then
just run Dpaint.  See what you can do!

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/18/91)

The idea behind printing color and Grey Scales is called CLOSURE.
Also when you print something to a printer in color you must deal
with RGB --> MYC (Red Green Blue to Magenta Yellow Cyan,
which is the basic colors and comibinations). If you have a
180 DPI Color Dot-Matrix printer (like me) or any color printer
for that matter [exclusing lino-tronic film printers]
you must come to the reality that no matter how you slice it you
always have less than 4096 colors. So consistency in pixels
(unlike HAM, like VGA) is soo much better than more colors.
Postscript is nice too, but you'll notice that a high-resolution
color printer picture has just as much of an affect as
color postscript on the same printer (try 1024X1024 on DPIII and print
it out to a 8X11 sheet size and you'll get my drift).
It is also much better to go with An AMIGA that can take a grey scale
picture and convert it to dots when printing becuase B/W dots
are harder to manage [I know, I have used M(uck)ACOS printing programs]).
(You guys are probably wondering why I didn't edit this,  don't want
to use VI at home, it doesn't interface quite like the VT terminals at school).

Well happy printing YAL.

In article <RDi4217w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) writes:
>
>>         How high will it go? I was looking for around 2250x3300, would it
>> go THAT high, and, if so, how much chip mem would it take? In 1 bitplane,
>> of course.
>
>As far as I know, the size is only limited by RAM.  I had no problems
>with a 2k x 2k page size.  I believe I tried a 2k x 4k page size also
>in Hi-res without a problem.
>
>I will try now...Well, I have a 7 meg system with a ECS Agnus and I
>could only get a 2kX2k page size.  Of course I have Workbench and
>some other things running.  I would think you should be able to get
>what you are looking for if you CTRL-D right into amigados and then
>just run Dpaint.  See what you can do!
>
>-- Bob
>
> The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
>  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
>      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
>    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
>    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

Here is a little estimate of how much you can do:

 1024X1024 =
			 128K in 1-bit plane (2 colors),
			 256K in 2-bit       (4 colors),
			 384K in 3-bit       (8 colors),
			 512K in 4-bit       (16 colors),

			 Thats for storage, then you have 32K to 128K for view-port
			 storage (so you can look at the silly picture).

			 with ECS Agnus (1meg version) you can have a max
			 screen resolution (using 1 bit-plane) of 2K by 4K.

			 with Super Agnus (Amiga 3000 owners must install the
			 DRAMS into the additional space provided on the mother
			 board before getting these capabilities [it does not come
			 to you with 2Meg chip ram, it comes with half the CHIP
			 Ram populated) you can get 4K by 4K in 1 bit mode.

			 actually it is not possible to get this high a resolution
			 considering that Workbench or some program is always
			 taking some of it away.

			  Here's the formula:
			  Resolution(x) * resolution(y) * resolution(z)/ 8 bits =
			  ammount of memory needed. Note Resolution (Z) is
			  the screens depth.

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (05/18/91)

>could only get a 2kX2k page size.  Of course I have Workbench and
>some other things running.  I would think you should be able to get
>what you are looking for if you CTRL-D right into amigados and then
>just run Dpaint.  See what you can do!

You will have more memory from WB than from the CLI.
I noticed this when I got 2Mb extra to my 512K A1000. I thought
"now at least, I'll be able to use 640x512 16 colors" but no.
That was possible only if I disabled a CLI-bitplane AND my 2nd drive.
From Wb it worked even if I didn't let Dpaint close the Workbench.

The main reason for this memory shortage seems to be that DPaint is
stupid enough to store the "undo"-picture in CHIP-mem too.
Maybe this is corrected in later versions.

/$DR.HEX$

Mailbox called  dvljrt@cs.umu.se
2 Windows on the screen?  Oh no, not me.  I just Logout & Go.

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (05/18/91)

> For something silly, I did a 24000 * 256 screen (1 bit plane) and it worked.
> was frankly amazed!

        That could have some vale for video work if you could do it in 32
colors! or just 16 or less even, it could be your background and you could
scroll around on it. fun.

> >                         MoonHawk
>
> Tacky. Very tacky.

        WHY? Tacky? It's my alias! You don't like it? Or, even worse,
aliases in general? It's out of a Dean R. Koontz book, if that helps? My
name's David Culberson, so you know I'm not "Hiding" behind my alias :-)
                        MOONHAWK and proud of it.

Now the world has gone to bed,  MoonHawk@Bluemoon.uucp          ////|all
Darkness won't engulf my head,  moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com //// |hail
I can see by infrared,                                     \\\\///__|the
How I hate the night.      Yeah, this IS an annoying SIG.   \\\\/   |miga