[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] ColorBurst

relsum@ismdqa.intel.com (Reliability Summary ) (02/01/91)

Could somebody who have colorburst post a review. I'm desperate to get a 24-bit
color board but i need to be sure of what i'm getting. DCTV is out for me as it
does not support PAL. HAM-E res is too low at 320x512. also, i need the MAST
australian address as it is cheaper 4 me to get it fr there. BTW, I'm in Malaysia.

thanks in advance.

-kkb

kbkoh@a1acc1.intel.com

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (02/02/91)

In a message From: relsum@ismdqa.intel.com (Reliability Summary )

>Could somebody who have colorburst post a review. I'm desperate to get a 24-bit
>color board but i need to be sure of what i'm getting. DCTV is out for me as it
>does not support PAL. HAM-E res is too low at 320x512. also, i need the MAST
>australian address as it is cheaper 4 me to get it fr there. BTW, I'm in Malaysia.

I have been assured by M.A.S.T. that I am the first person on the list to
get a ColorBurst in America.  The latest word is that the FCC is dragging its
feet and as of Monday (January 28) they were expecting to ship within three
weeks.  As soon as I get the thing, you can be sure I'll post a detailed
analysis of it's merits and problems, but until then, M.A.S.T. is the only
source for a review.

On a related subject.  Those unfortunates who purchased the Firecracker 24
board from Impulse with the _promise_ of a DPaint-like paint program (I can
dig up SEVERAL quotes from them, Mike Halverson included, that guarantee
such software) should be aware that their current plan is to release a
"stop gap" paint program to fill in until a THIRD PARTY 24 bit paint program
is made available.  I feel that this is as close to breach of promise as
any example I have seen.  It seems that this is just cause for any of their
customers to DEMAND their money back for just that reason.  As I told a local
user who showed interest in the SyQuest removable media drive as well:  You
could return that $1600 card, buy a Colorburst, and still afford the SyQuest
and nearly 8 cartridges for the 24 bit files.  Just some info....

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb1.160923.27132@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:

>On a related subject.  Those unfortunates who purchased the Firecracker 24
>board from Impulse with the _promise_ of a DPaint-like paint program (I can
>dig up SEVERAL quotes from them, Mike Halverson included, that guarantee
>such software) should be aware that their current plan is to release a
>"stop gap" paint program to fill in until a THIRD PARTY 24 bit paint program
>is made available.  I feel that this is as close to breach of promise as
>any example I have seen.  It seems that this is just cause for any of their
>customers to DEMAND their money back for just that reason.  As I told a local
>user who showed interest in the SyQuest removable media drive as well:  You
>could return that $1600 card, buy a Colorburst, and still afford the SyQuest
>and nearly 8 cartridges for the 24 bit files.  Just some info....
>
>Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

Disclaimer:
This is a message I've been asked to post here by Mike Halvorson,
Pres. of Impulse.  I am posting this ONLY because Mike does not have
capability to post it here himself.  I am not on Mike's payroll.
What follows the dashed line was written by Mike, not by me.
I'm just the messenger here so don't reply to me on this matter. Thanks.
--------

To Donald Richard Tillery Jr:

We are sick and tired of the immature and infantile behavior of those who
know nothing at all about Impulse and its marketing plans.  We have no
intention of producing a stopgap program.  Light, our 24 bit program, is
very comprehensive and should be available to our users around the end of
February.

In a sense of cooperation with other vendors who have made their fortunes
based upon paint programs, we are making sure that they too have all of the
necessary programing information to implement many features that they deem
important to the 24 bit user.  You do all people great harm when you allow
the equivalent of flapping lips to blabber endlessly about things you are
ignorant of.

We will stand behind our paint program as nothing less than one of the best
that will be available for any 24 bit system.  If you believe that you have
other information, I encourage you to call me at my expense at
1-800-328-0184.  Until such time as you have direct communications with
Impulse, we recognize you have a right to your opinion but, as well,
FireCracker owners should not have to listen to your totally false
commentary.

What you have said is tantamount to slander.  You will discontinue this
course of action.

Sincerely,

Mike Halvorson
President, Impulse, Inc.

P.S. In our experience with the FCC, we have found them to be efficient and
perfunctory in making sure that products are not held up unless they don't
meet FCC requirements. We wish the people from M.A.S.T. much success and
hope that they can get their product to meet the requirements of the FCC.
Having gone through this process, we would be more than glad to offer our
gained expertise if they feel in need of assistance.

robocop@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Thorsten Ebers) (04/04/91)

HI Folks,
is colorburst out and has anybody received  it ?
I would like to have a review.I'm looking for cheap good Grafxcard .
So Colorburst comes to my mind.

Thorsten

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (04/05/91)

M.A.S.T. tells me I'm the first on the domestic list to get a ColorBurst.  I
don't have one yet, so (based on their word) you can safely assume no-one
else in the U.S. has one yet, with the possible (probable) exception of
developers (maybe I should have told them I was developing for it :-).

You can be sure that I'll post a full review as soon as I get my hot little
hands on it, check it out and make up for the sleep I lose playing with it.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.150952.15720@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>M.A.S.T. tells me I'm the first on the domestic list to get a ColorBurst.  I
>don't have one yet, so (based on their word) you can safely assume no-one
>else in the U.S. has one yet, with the possible (probable) exception of
>developers (maybe I should have told them I was developing for it :-).
>
>You can be sure that I'll post a full review as soon as I get my hot little
>hands on it, check it out and make up for the sleep I lose playing with it.
>
>Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

	...and I've heard that the developers who do get one
	have to be registered with Commodore.

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (05/01/91)

Bad news from MAST today:

The ColorBurst failed the FCC test :-(

The company doing the testing for the FCC is working to correct the
signal leakage. :-)

They say it should be taken care of in two weeks. :-(

That will be after my finals so I can give it a serious workout and write
a good thorough review. :-)

Oh well, delays, delays....finals, finals...UGH!

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (05/18/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.graphics
Subject: Re: ColorBurst NTSC @ LA VideoExpo

In a message From: dcoteles@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (David Domenick Cotelessa)

>In article <3774@beguine.UUCP> Viet.Ho@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>>Just saw Colorburst up close at the Los Angeles VideoExpo.
>>Very impressing, clean RGB images, a little flicker, but
>>what do you expect from interlaced???
>
>Well, if you have a flicker fixer...

...it won't do you any good.  The FF (and de-interlacer for that matter)
only works on the normal Amiga video for a long list of reasons (it only
does 4096 colors, it works on the internal bus-not on thRGB out that is
equivalent to the ColorBurst output, etc. etc.)

>>Got to see the fades, wipes and high speed scrolling.
>>OK, imagine DigiPaint super-bitmap scrolling, except
>>instead of HAM, you have a nice clean 768x480 24 bit
>>image.
>
>Sounds nice.....Now how about seeing some animation on this baby.
>(I've heard that it can do some real-time animation in at least
>4096 colors HI-RES.)

Yeah, they say that and 256 color hi-res animation too.

There's a utility to use a 24 bit brush for a pointer too! (OK, at least I
think that's neet)  But of course I'd have to bypass my de-interlacer to
see it, and go back to flicker (see above).

>>Looks like it's all set to go, complete with packaging,
>>just waiting for FCC approval.   The box is about the size
>
>I and half the world has heard this one before...
>FCC seems to be a real pain in the ass when some good product
>comes around (HDTV will be here soon honest...no really, oh yeah
>and Digital Audio Tapes to replace CD's no prob...as SOON as FCC
>approves..) Don't hold your breath on this stuff. Until it gets
>approval, THEN we can make the hoopla about this fabulous product.

The board passed, the cable flunked :-)  As soon as they re-design it so
that it will pass AND can be manufactured, we'll get it.  That sounds to me
like I might be able to get my hands on one next week (fingers crossed and
turning blue).

>>Oh, one of the designers was there and said they are
>>working on the 1/60th sec frame grabber.   It's gonna
>>be around $400 extra.    Time to sell my DCTV.
>
>$400 + $400 for frame-grabber and 24-bit card, plus getting
>Macro Paint for 24-bit paint program, and Imagine for 3-D graphics,
>plus a genlock and chroma-key and extra effects and what'dya got?
>
>A Toaster at twice the cost!!(But then again, with the set-up like
>the above statement, expansion beyond the Toaster would be a heck of a lot
>eaiser, since everything bought is a different component, instead of one
>jumbled product that leaves you at the mercy of the company that produced it.)

Well, not exactly.  The toaster does most of its stuff in 24 bits, but it still
only puts out composite (with all its artifacts).  ColorBurst comes with a full
24 bit paint program at no extra cost.  The ColorBurst can also show more
graphics modes, be upgraded from 1.5 to 8Megs of memory for more buffers, and
work with the 500 and 1000 models.  Beyond that, we'd be hard pressed to find
another device that does the effects that the Toaster does.  But then I'm not
planning to run a video studio as one would with the Toaster.  I will probably
stick with graphic presentations and single frame animation (to be done the
cheap way with a film camera - hence the desire for RGB output).

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.graphics
Subject: ColorBurst
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.graphics
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.graphics
seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/20/91)

Hmmm.  Anyone know if there will be any conflicts if a ColorBurst is
piggybacked onto a DCTV?

Since DCTV provides a passthru, I should be able to have both devices
hooked up, and only one would function at a time, depending on what
software I was running at the time, right?

I woudn't mind having the ColorBurst for editing pics, etc. in RGB and use
the DCTV as a digitizer, since it does a better job than DigiView under
almost all situations.

I don't need the ColorBurst framegrabber since I've got a Sony Digital
Video Adapter XV-D300.  And I can encode the ColorBurst to NTSC with my
Truevision VIDI/O Box.

heh, just call me a graphics junkie :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (05/20/91)

 And More than that, You should be able to use both simultaniously...
 Should be fun to see the RGB and NTSC pic simultaniously.
 The only problem I have with that, is I will need 3 monitor now :-)

							Stephan.