[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Converting .gif/.iff to .tiff

amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu (05/19/91)

What is the best way to convert a .gif image to .tiff format under
workbench1.3 and only 512k chip ram (2meg fast)?

I ask this because I need to convert some images on the amiga to a format
viewable on a mac.  Also, the conversions must be Good, because the images
will be used in production work.  Additionally, there are some iff images
that I need to have converted as well, so a piece of mac software that can
view .gif's isn't good enough.
P.S.  It would be best if the software were public domain or shareware, as
I need them immediately.
					--Thanx
                                              Alex

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/20/91)

In article <880.28366e23@zodiac.rutgers.edu> amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>What is the best way to convert a .gif image to .tiff format under
>workbench1.3 and only 512k chip ram (2meg fast)?
>
>I ask this because I need to convert some images on the amiga to a format
>viewable on a mac.  Also, the conversions must be Good, because the images
>will be used in production work.  Additionally, there are some iff images
>that I need to have converted as well, so a piece of mac software that can
>view .gif's isn't good enough.
>P.S.  It would be best if the software were public domain or shareware, as
>I need them immediately.
>					--Thanx
>                                              Alex

ADPRO it darn it.

I SCREAM becuase I have repeated it about 20 times this week (exagerating).

ADPRO either supports or has available modules for it that will
convert any format to any other format. If this doesn't satisfy
you I don't know what will. It already supports PCX, GIF (89a mind you),
IFF24, IFF, MACPAINT, POSTSCRIPT (output), and I forget what else.
But it works terrific and comes from the professionals at ASDG Inc.

I do believe there is a 8-bit TIFF converter (grey-scale in other words
for TIFF to IFF but I don't know about the oposite).

There will probably be several UNIX-freaks yelling PBM_plus or FBM,
I have not and nobody I know has been able to make it work, but maybe
some kind hearted soul will compile you a version on their Amiga C compiler.

PBM_plus (so it says) supports very many file formats including
PCX, and I believe every format of TIFF and IFF.

 Good luck.

cac5961@rouge.usl.edu (Castor Christian A) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.051157.17533@ariel.unm.edu> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
     .
     .
     .

>There will probably be several UNIX-freaks yelling PBM_plus or FBM,
>I have not and nobody I know has been able to make it work, but maybe
>some kind hearted soul will compile you a version on their Amiga C compiler.

    There is a port of PBMPLUS for the Amiga at pc.usl.edu.   You
may get it via anonymous ftp on the directory /pub/amiga/pbmplus .

- chris

  Christian Castor - cac5961@usl.edu or chris@usl.edu -  CIS: 73030,2734
  Plink: ChrisC - (318)232-2045 - Snail: PO Box 43402,Lafayette LA 70504