[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] CamCorders and VCRs

foy@aero.org (Richard Foy) (05/14/91)

Does anyone have suggestions regarding Camcorders and VCR's to use
to digitise images using DCTV?

Richard Foy

moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp (David Culberson) (05/14/91)

An interesting person named Richard Foy (foy@aero.org) curiously asks:

> Does anyone have suggestions regarding Camcorders and VCR's to use
> to digitise images using DCTV?
        Well, you have to have an image that is perfectly still for around
10 seconds for DCTV to digitize it. If you have a 4 head VCR, then the
pause button should work fine. If otherwise, I have no idea. The CamCorder
can be used to digitize still life like tables, pots, etc. but it can't be
blowing in the wind. My suggestion is to have a 4 head, jitter-free VCR,
and recor what you want to with the camcorder then put the tape into the
VCR and pause it where you want the image, then digitize away! Later,
                        MoonHawk

The robot's ballad:
   Now the world has gone to bed,
   Darkness won't engulf my head,
   I can see by infrared,
   How I hate the night.

 This is from
     moonhawk@bluemoon.uucp
     moonhawk%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (05/15/91)

RE:  For use with digitizing using DCTV...

  I would recommend a vcr with digital freeze, as oppose to your standard
freeze frame option.  Just an opinion.
At least something that gives you a steady image.

Derek Lang<<<<<    |
ACPS1072@Ryerson   |    "So much to do.  So little time."
Toronto, ON        |                             - Mr. X
Canada             |

brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) (05/20/91)

  Re: Using VCR's to digitize with DCTV.

  I bought last year's Hitatchi VT-M132A with 'scanalock'. It has a little
knob on the back that, when twiddled, does a pretty good job of eliminating
the jitters on freeze-frame. Also, it will 'single-step' from frame to frame.
I don't know how it does it, since I thought videotape uses a different
method of display, but ti works. DCTV digitizes them quite nicely. (It was
a great deal at $200!!)

 However, my attempts to rebuild a series of frames as an anim have failed
at DCTV color-levels! Every time I try, makeanim barfs with 'out of memory/
can't write file' in the second frame. My guess is that there are so many
color pixel changes between the frames that it can't handle it. I have seen
an anim of the space shuttle launching done from videodisc, so it can be done.

Note that I can use the convert program to scale the colors down to 32 (ehb)
and do a non-DCTV anim, but this has mucho chroma-type artifacts. A neat
effect, but not as cool as what I am looking for....

  Brian

--

          Brian Bishop, Software Engineer, Zyga Corporation

  (brian@grebyn.com)   "This one is for the eyes of the other dogs to come."

cowgilc@prism.cs.orst.edu (Clayton Cowgill) (05/22/91)

In <1991May19.183344.17850@grebyn.com> brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) writes:

>  Re: Using VCR's to digitize with DCTV.

>  I bought last year's Hitatchi VT-M132A with 'scanalock'. It has a little
>knob on the back that, when twiddled, does a pretty good job of eliminating
>the jitters on freeze-frame. Also, it will 'single-step' from frame to frame.
>I don't know how it does it, since I thought videotape uses a different
>method of display, but ti works. DCTV digitizes them quite nicely. (It was
>a great deal at $200!!)

Quick Question: How long does DCTV take to digitize a frame?

I have generally found that a good quality 4 head VCR without a digital freeze
produces a better quality still frame than a consumer 'digital' pause.

I had a Mitsubishi HR-349 with a *perfect* one screen pause. It was only about
$349 four years ago. (Most Mitsubishi's work equally well- but the recent years
models have gotten pretty pricey.) JVC's higher end machines do _excellent_
freeze frames. (My HR-S6600 has a perfect still, plus jog/edit wheel for about
$700)

						-Clay

Clayton Cowgill                                 cowgilc@prism.cs.orst.edu
Head Consultant                                 Lab: (503) 737-2435
Oregon State University CS Dept.                Home: (503) 757-7060
Corvallis, OR 97330