[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Looking for clip art FTP sites...

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (05/13/91)

Can any of you Noble Amigaphiles email me some information
on good places  (e.g., FTP sites)  to find clip art?

Secondly, can anyone direct me to a site and/or program
that converts Mac and/or IBM clip art formats into Amiga
formats?  I'm thinking mainly of structured clip art here,
but bitmapped isn't out of the question.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

--
Thom Cleland
tcleland@ucsd.edu

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (05/14/91)

I, too, would like to know where to get clip art for Amiga of any kind...

As far as conversion goes, I would suggest just using PageStream2.1

There are *VERY* few formats that it cannot import directly...  Are you, in
fact, going to be using the clip art for DTP???

--Leon
| Leon D. Shaner - EE Undergrad   / Amiga Bitswap Central Dispatch  /
| <LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET>        / (906)482-8248  - DLG PRO! BETA  /
| <abcd!Leon@balance.cs.mtu.edu>/ HST DS [FIDO 1:139/950] 2 LINES!/

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/15/91)

I have a suggestion to Clip Art freaks.

 Get GIFtoIFF 2.0, a whole ton of GIF's, and Digi-Paint III.

  This is all you need to make a clip art collection.

Convert (.gif) gif files to IFF (amiga pictures),
Load IFF pictures into DPIII and save (converts it to something readable).

There you have it, more clip art than you'll ever need.

xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May15.053456.29702@ariel.unm.edu>, kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:

>I have a suggestion to Clip Art freaks.
>
> Get GIFtoIFF 2.0, a whole ton of GIF's, and Digi-Paint III.
>
>  This is all you need to make a clip art collection.
>
>Convert (.gif) gif files to IFF (amiga pictures),
>Load IFF pictures into DPIII and save (converts it to something readable).
>
>There you have it, more clip art than you'll ever need.

   The problem is, all of this "clip art" is bitmapped.  It is also mostly
color, and would produce very bad results in B&W documents.

   I am still waiting for someone to produce a program to convert MACDraw
files to either the new structered IFF format or the Professional Draw 2.0
format.  There are boatloads of PD clip art files available in MACDraw
format, but very, very few available in either the structured IFF format
or even the Pro Draw format.

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /

jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) (05/16/91)

>   I am still waiting for someone to produce a program to convert MACDraw
Gee, Marc, why don't you just write it yourself.  You're a comp. sci. major,
right?
>  -------------------------------------------------------------
> / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
>/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
>\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
> \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /
>  -------------------------------------------------------
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                       /
ACK! PPPTTTHHT! ______/

Jason White // jdwhite@iastate.edu // "Get bent!" - Bart Simpson |      //
"IBM, you BM, we all BM for IBM!" - ??????????????               |     //
"Death to the IBM empire of mediocrity!" - Dave Buckley          | \\ //
Disclaimer: "I am not an Amiga geek, like M*rc B*rr*tt, nor do I |  \X/ 3000T
             speak for the ISUCC (but I should!)." -me  :-P      |Only Amiga!

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/18/91)

Hereyee Hereyee, (the king steps up on the throne):

"MACDRAW conversion does exist and his been living amongst the
hills"

Ok:

 Back in 87, a guy by the name of Scott P. Everden, at 9 Courtland Street,
 Holliston, MA 01746 [I'm scrren flipping, Weeeee] created a program
 called Mac-Paint Viewer (this converts .PIC files to IFF and IFF to .PIC
 [though rather poorley]).

 Wayne Hogue, 847 Athol Street, Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA, S4T 3B6,
 created a shareware viewer/conversion program that will convert:
 IFF-ILBM, IFF-ACBM, SPUT and SBOB (with and without header),
 DEGAS (Atari ST), NEO (Atari ST), and MACpaint pictures (.MAC)
 to each others format. Ps. it has the nicest persistent Begging
 for Donations I have ever seen (has a horisontal screen melt
  and a simulated GURU begging for money). 20 dollars donation.

I think that last one should have won the BADGE killer demo contest.

Also remember, you need both of these if you plan to convert most of
your files over.

 I like: HAMGIF, VIRTGIF, GIFTORGB, RGB-EXCHANGE (note:TARGA, TURBO,
 DV21, SCULPT, and one other format I can't recall; FP-unit support).
 Neat

  Later

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May18.054649.22039@ariel.unm.edu> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:

   "MACDRAW conversion does exist and his been living amongst the
   hills"

   Ok:

    Back in 87, a guy by the name of Scott P. Everden, at 9 Courtland Street,
    Holliston, MA 01746 [I'm scrren flipping, Weeeee] created a program
    called Mac-Paint Viewer (this converts .PIC files to IFF and IFF to .PIC
    [though rather poorley]).

    Wayne Hogue, 847 Athol Street, Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA, S4T 3B6,
    created a shareware viewer/conversion program that will convert:
    IFF-ILBM, IFF-ACBM, SPUT and SBOB (with and without header),
    DEGAS (Atari ST), NEO (Atari ST), and MACpaint pictures (.MAC)

Neither of these descriptions mention MacDraw.  MacDraw is an
object-oriented drawing program, while MacPaint is a bitmap-based
paint program.  The two are not equivalent.  So neither of the
programs you mentioned will help the person who wanted object-based
clip art.

Does anyone know of a specification for MacDraw-format files, and a
pointer to an FTP site with some MacDraw files?  I'd be willing to
write a MacDraw-to-DR2D converter.

nj

xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May18.054649.22039@ariel.unm.edu>, kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>Hereyee Hereyee, (the king steps up on the throne):
>
>"MACDRAW conversion does exist and his been living amongst the
     ^^^^
>hills"
>
>Ok:
>
> Back in 87, a guy by the name of Scott P. Everden, at 9 Courtland Street,
> Holliston, MA 01746 [I'm scrren flipping, Weeeee] created a program
> called Mac-Paint Viewer (this converts .PIC files to IFF and IFF to .PIC
             ^^^^^
> [though rather poorley]).
[stuff deleted]

   MACDraw and MACPaint are NOT the same thing!   MACPaint is a color
bitmapped graphics format, like standard IFF.  MACDraw is a structured
graphics format like IFF DR2D and the Pro Draw format.  I have the
converter to convert MACPaint files to IFF ILBM, but that does not do
me any good at all for MACDraw files.

   Again, I am looking for a converter to convert MACDraw files to IFF DR2D.
MACView is NOT what I am looking for, as that merely converts MACPaint
files to ~rIFF ILBM, which isn't at all what I am looking for.