[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Toasters in A3000's

Viet.Ho@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) (05/28/91)

This probably nothing new, but some fokes (ack del key ain't working_)
may be interested:

Century Computers, in La Habra, California charges $300 to have
VideoToasters placed into A3000 w/ warrenty intact.   I hear
you have to do a little cutting in the back for one of those
protruding BNC connectors as well as replacing your Denise
so you only get 1MB of chip mem instead of two.   It's gonna
be a tight fit, but hey, at least you get 18MBs and access
to those 040's.

They had an 18MB A3000 w/ Toaster and a prototype PP&S 040
card inside.  Tho it's pretty fast (about 2X the A3000)
the 040 is not up to speed yet....

-Viet

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/29/91)

In article <3950@beguine.UUCP>, Viet.Ho@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>This probably nothing new, but some fokes (ack del key ain't working_)
>may be interested:
>
>Century Computers, in La Habra, California charges $300 to have
>VideoToasters placed into A3000 w/ warrenty intact.   I hear
>you have to do a little cutting in the back for one of those
>protruding BNC connectors as well as replacing your Denise
>so you only get 1MB of chip mem instead of two.

   The Denise chip has nothing to do with the amount of chip memory in the
system.  The address bus for the chipset is on the Agnus chip, and the other
two chips (Denise and Paula) have no address busses of their own.  With
the old Denise in an A3000, you can still have 2M of chip RAM.   You lose
the new ECS graphics modes and the new genlocking modes, though.

>-Viet
>
>--
>   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
>     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information
>        Technology, or the Experimental Bulletin Board Service.
>           internet:  bbs.oit.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (05/29/91)

In article <3950@beguine.UUCP> Viet.Ho@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>This probably nothing new, but some fokes (ack del key ain't working_)
>may be interested:
>
>Century Computers, in La Habra, California charges $300 to have
>VideoToasters placed into A3000 w/ warrenty intact.

Sorry Charlie. Newtek has stated expressly that if you put a Toaster
in a 3000 you void the warranty. Period. End of discussion. I should
know, I've done 7 of them now.

>I hear you have to do a little cutting in the back for one of those
>protruding BNC connectors as well

Exactly, which is why you also completely void the warranty on the Amiga.
Show me ANY commercial product that will honor a warranty when you cut
out a piece of the machine.

Be aware that to get the warranty honored on your Amiga (God forbid
something should go wrong) you are expected to bring it back to the
original dealer, or return it to Commodore. Imagine doing that and
either one saying, "Gee, what's this hole you've cut out of the back
of the machine?" "Oh" you say, "my cat did that".

It is possible that if you buy your machine and Toaster from Century
Computers that they are willing to lie to Commodore and Newtek if you
run into problems. But I sure wouldn't count on that holding up for
too long. And you certainly have no recourse when they say "sorry, they
won't let us do that anymore."

>at least you get 18MBs

Don't get too excited, especially those of you interested in Lightwave.
The current Lightwave software does NOT recognize memory over the standard
9MB allowed in a 2000. If you look at the amount of memory available
it will certainly show that you have 18MB, but the maximum number of
polygons allowed in a scene does not expand.

Sorry to bring you down. But I thought everyone should know "the rest of
the story" before you go rushing out to Century Computers. Reality,
what a drag.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Newtek or Commordore and have nothing
against Century Computers. As a matter of fact, even though I live
in the LA area, I've never been there.

Sean Schur		    			USENET: schur@isi.edu
Assistant Director Amiga/Media Lab		Compuserve: 70731,1102
Character Animation Department			Plink: OSS259
California Institute of the Arts

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (05/29/91)

In article <18042@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>In article <3950@beguine.UUCP> Viet.Ho@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>>at least you get 18MBs
>
>Don't get too excited, especially those of you interested in Lightwave.
>The current Lightwave software does NOT recognize memory over the standard
>9MB allowed in a 2000. If you look at the amount of memory available
>it will certainly show that you have 18MB, but the maximum number of
>polygons allowed in a scene does not expand.

The maximum number of polygons that LightWave currently supports is 32767.
This is not a function of whether or not it recognizes the extra memory
but that the internal polygon/point counters were done with 16 bit
signed integers. Allen is working on fixing this but he said it is not
a minor change. If you want to take advantage of the extra memory above
9M, load in bunches of 24bit image maps. I have not done this personally
(my 2500 limits me to 9M), but I am quite confident it will work.
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %