[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] ADPro and scanners

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/22/91)

Perry Kivolowitz, PLEASE READ THIS!

Sorry to be posting it public, but I've lost your address.

   I recently finished reading an article on flatbed color scanners in
MacWorld magazine ("Affordable Color Scanning, June '91, p130).  It
describes both the LaCie Silverscanner and the Epson America ES-300C (which
there is a module for ADPro available).

   The article goes on to say that the LaCie is made by Epson, and that it
is the "same basic unit," but that Epson charges close to $400 for a SCSI
interface which LaCie throws in.  My question is: do you know if they're
compatible enough to allow ADPro to control the LaCie???

   $1995 for a 24bit scanner that does 600x300 isn't bad at all!  Not to
mention that LaCie throws in Aldus Preprint and Photoshop LE...I can
sell'em
to some local Macfolk for enough to buy the ES-300C driver from you guys :)

   Thanks,

Sean

PS> It sure is a shame that you've got to read one of the "enemy's" rags to
    get information on certain products...don't 'ya think?

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May22.015607.4410@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>Perry Kivolowitz, PLEASE READ THIS!
>
>Sorry to be posting it public, but I've lost your address.

That's ok - generally ALL of my return mail bounces.

>   I recently finished reading an article on flatbed color scanners in
>MacWorld magazine ("Affordable Color Scanning, June '91, p130).  It
>describes both the LaCie Silverscanner and the Epson America ES-300C (which
>there is a module for ADPro available).
>
>   The article goes on to say that the LaCie is made by Epson, and that it
>is the "same basic unit," but that Epson charges close to $400 for a SCSI
>interface which LaCie throws in.  My question is: do you know if they're
>compatible enough to allow ADPro to control the LaCie???

Our EPSON software interfaces to the scanner via the parallel port (having
a parallel switch box in-line is ok if you have more than one parallel
device) not via SCSI.

We tested the SCSI interface and found that the only thing it adds in $500
to the list price of the scanner. Our parallel port interface method is
pretty much the same speed (that is to say, the interface is scanner
limited, not interface limited). You get the added benefit of not needing
a SCSI controller with an external port, and not having to spend $500
more (based on list price). And you don't pay a heavy speed penalty.

If the LaCie has a parallel port, it sounds like you are in business.

Our software lists for $200 and comes with the parallel cable needed to
interface the scanner to the A500, A2X00, and A3000. It comes with
two versions of the scanner controller.....

1) An ADPro loader module - allows you to scan without leaving ADPro
   even including ARexx control and compositing.

2) A stand alone version of the ADPro loader allowing scanning directly
   to disk (uses almost no memory to speak of).

Tell your dealer.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/02/91)

{_
Thanks...the artic{e d{dn't list whether or not the scanne{ had a P{rallel
port, but all this takes is a phone call.

(damn line noise!)

Thanks Perry!

Sean
........a VERY happy ADPro owner..........
                                        /\
 RealWorld: Sean Cunningham            /  \     "Doing our business is what
      INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com   VISION                Amigas are for."
     Voice: (512) 992-2810             \  /
                                 //     \/      "Holy #@*!" - any Psygnosis
    KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/   GRAPHICS                   game player