[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Intuition and color

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.221214.19100@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	I hate to put this so bluntly, but without externally
>hardware, Intuition can't DO VGA graphics. Period. Try getting
>256 simultaneous colors without using HAM, which cannot be used
>for the WB screen anyway.

Well, whatever.  I hate to be blunt with YOU, Ethan, but you should know
better.  I'm running a 4096-color workbench as we speak.  Now, it's only
sixty columns, but it's there, and it's rather pretty, thankyouverymuch.

Dave Hopper      |     /// Anthro Creep  | Academic Info Resources, Stanford
                 |__  ///     .   .      | and NeXT Campus Consultant
bard@jessica.    |\\\///     Ia! Ia!     | -- Just remember: love is life, and
   Stanford.EDU  | \XX/  Shub-Niggurath! | hate is living death. :Black Sabbath

In article <1991May28.003206.21596@leland.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>In article <1991May27.221214.19100@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>
>>	I hate to put this so bluntly, but without externally
>>hardware, Intuition can't DO VGA graphics. Period. Try getting
>>256 simultaneous colors without using HAM, which cannot be used
>>for the WB screen anyway.
>
>Well, whatever.  I hate to be blunt with YOU, Ethan, but you should know
>better.  I'm running a 4096-color workbench as we speak.  Now, it's only
>sixty columns, but it's there, and it's rather pretty, thankyouverymuch.

	There is a PD program (Jazzbench is it?) that does it. I
should've prefaced it with Commodore-supported way of making WB
into HAM. There are PD hacks that do do it. I've heard mixed
things about stability, but I admit that I've never used them
myself and since you do use it I guess it can't be all that bad.
8-)

	Realistically, though, to use more than 16 colors in
standard HAM mode without serious fringing requires too many
computations to be, IMHO, a realistic alternative. Especially
since we are talking about a bridgeboard. IBMs don't expect to
have to deal with this, they'll just be writing out bytes.
Somewhere that'll have to be intercepted and converted. HW: not
cheap. SW: slow.
	I'm not saying it's impossible. DigiPaint was considered
impossible before its like was done. I'm just very doubtful.

>Dave Hopper      |     /// Anthro Creep  | Academic Info Resources, Stanford
>                 |__  ///     .   .      | and NeXT Campus Consultant
>bard@jessica.    |\\\///     Ia! Ia!     | -- Just remember: love is life, and
>   Stanford.EDU  | \XX/  Shub-Niggurath! | hate is living death. :Black Sabbath

Now the world has gone to bed,		Now I lay me down to sleep,
Darkness won't engulf my head,		Try to count electric sheep,
I can see by infrared,			Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.			How I hate the night.   -- Marvin

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.003206.21596@leland.Stanford.EDU>, bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>In article <1991May27.221214.19100@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>
>>	I hate to put this so bluntly, but without externally
>>hardware, Intuition can't DO VGA graphics. Period. Try getting
>>256 simultaneous colors without using HAM, which cannot be used
>>for the WB screen anyway.
>
>Well, whatever.  I hate to be blunt with YOU, Ethan, but you should know
>better.  I'm running a 4096-color workbench as we speak.  Now, it's only
>sixty columns, but it's there, and it's rather pretty, thankyouverymuch.

   You are probably using HamBench, which gives you a 320x200 or 320x400
HAM-mode WorkBench.  Workbench in this modes does look pretty good, but
you have to construct your own icons because the aspect ratio for the
320x400 mode is totally the opposite of the normal Workbench mode
(640x200), and because there are few ready-to-use HAM-mode icons
available except the ones included with HamBench.

   I find it better to simply use the 640x400 16-color mode, because
you get a higher resolution in this mode, with none of the fringing
associated with HAM mode.

>Dave Hopper      |     /// Anthro Creep  | Academic Info Resources, Stanford
>                 |__  ///     .   .      | and NeXT Campus Consultant
>bard@jessica.    |\\\///     Ia! Ia!     | -- Just remember: love is life, and
>   Stanford.EDU  | \XX/  Shub-Niggurath! | hate is living death. :Black Sabbath

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /

cs_b152@ux.kingston.ac.uk (Vlod Kalicum) (06/03/91)

Any ideas where you can get Hambench ??
Ive scaned the fish collection but cant seem to find any
mention of it??

Vlod..	cs_b152@ux.king.ac.uk

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (06/08/91)

In article <1991May28.014934.20917@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	There is a PD program (Jazzbench is it?) that does it. I

You rang? :)

Jazzbench does not support HAM.  Its author (that's me :)) prefers what Dave
Haynie describes as <<weird>> gfx modes like monochrome prod-interlaced...

It also crashes under 2.0 *real* bad.  I know why, but the source is gone. :(

Too bad, because it's much faster than 2.0 workbench :(, and has real-time
scrollbars.  I'd still like to shoot somebody for not giving me those under 2.0.

I'll be glad to assist anyone with a file-zapper to try and get wbsetup
working under 2.0 -- give me a buzz.

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus