[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Monitors for DCTV

cowgilc@prism.cs.orst.edu (Clayton Cowgill) (06/07/91)

In <311@ra.nrl-cmf.UUCP> mario@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Mario Braithwaite) writes:

>Hey, guys.  I have a question.

>I plan to purchase an Amiga 500 with ICD's flicker fixer and a multi-sync
>monitor.  I have a passion for video and plan to get DCTV as well.  With all
>that said here is the question: Is the multi-sync suitable for use with
>DCTV.  I have read (Amiga World, July '91) that a composite monitor is

I have a 20" Mitsubishi consumer Monitor/TV on my DCTV and it looks _very_
nice to me... I'm partial to Mitsubishi TV's esp. for composite monitor
work- they have very nice pictures (the diamond scan ones) and about 98%
black level retention for good, pure black and more distinct colors. Plus,
you get a nice TV- all for about $350-$400 (been a while since I checked).

Mitsubishi's Diamond Scan multisync (the 1380?) also has an NTSC input for
video as I recall...

To answer your question, the Multi-sync will not work as DCTV's output
monitor unless it also includes an NTSC composite video input. (I think
some of Commodore's monitors have this feature.)

As an aside-- plan on getting some more memory and a hard drive if you're
going to get DCTV, and an accelerator might be a very good idea if you
have the $$$. I have 2meg of chip and 2 meg of fast RAM in my '3000 and
DCTV would still like more memory to play with... Also, DCTV is pretty slow
reading image data in and out and doing screen transformations- it might be
painfully slow on a non '030 machine. Can anyone verify this?

					-Clay

##################===============------------===============##################
Clayton Cowgill                                 cowgilc@prism.cs.orst.edu
Head Consultant                                 Lab: (503) 737-2435
Oregon State University CS Dept.                Home: (503) 757-7060
Corvallis, OR 97330

v126npaq@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeffrey F Sick) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun06.220512.20362@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, cowgilc@prism.cs.orst.edu (Clayton Cowgill) writes...
>As an aside-- plan on getting some more memory and a hard drive if you're
>going to get DCTV, and an accelerator might be a very good idea if you
>have the $$$. I have 2meg of chip and 2 meg of fast RAM in my '3000 and
>DCTV would still like more memory to play with... Also, DCTV is pretty slow
>reading image data in and out and doing screen transformations- it might be

Well, sort of. I run DCTV on my 500 and it gets painfully slow at
times -- like when committing one image after another. It likes a
fatter agnus hooked up...something I'm having done on Monday at my
dealer real soon. An accelerator would be nice as well. If I didn't
have a hard drive, storing pictures would be near impossible...so
you're right about that part. I've also got 3 meg of Ram -- only
1/2 K of which is chip. Gotta have the Fatter Agnus.

For a monitor I use a cheap Goldstar T.V., so no words of wisdom
there. :-)

						js