[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] Imagine 3D Trace Problems

Mark.Stuart@actrix.gen.nz (Mark Stuart) (06/05/91)

I am currently tring to convince Imagine 3D to raytrace for me running
on an A3000 with 6Mb of RAM, sometimes it does, other times it ignores
objects. To be specific they do not appear if rendered in the traced
mode, but do in scanline or lower rendering modes. I am sure it is a
bug in the software, as a recent rendering worked, but after I went
back to it and re-rendered without changing anything a lot of objects
did not appear. Using the starfield option I can see plenty of stars
but nothing covering them up when it should have. The version of the
software is 1.1.

Can anybody help, or am I up the proverbial creek without a paddle?

johnh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (John J Humpal) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun05.074155.11145@actrix.gen.nz> Mark.Stuart@actrix.gen.nz (Mark Stuart) writes:
>I am currently tring to convince Imagine 3D to raytrace for me running
>on an A3000 with 6Mb of RAM, sometimes it does, other times it ignores
>objects. To be specific they do not appear if rendered in the traced
>mode, but do in scanline or lower rendering modes.

	You have run into the infamous world size problem.  What you
have to do is go to the Stage editor, ADD a "size" bar to the Globals
row, and enter large enough values in the x,y, & z dimensions in the
requester which pops up.  IMagine defaults to a 1024x1024x1024 world
size, so if any of your objects fall outside these limits (including
your camera), you will need to readjust world size. BTW, make the
world size as small as you possibly can to keep trace times down.

>I am sure it is a bug in the software

	Not so!  Just an Undocumented Feature... ;-)

John J. Humpal -- johnh@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu -- short .sig, std. disclaimer

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (06/06/91)

Mark.Stuart@actrix.gen.nz (Mark Stuart) writes:

> I am currently tring to convince Imagine 3D to raytrace for me running
> on an A3000 with 6Mb of RAM, sometimes it does, other times it ignores
> objects. To be specific they do not appear if rendered in the traced
> mode, but do in scanline or lower rendering modes. I am sure it is a
> bug in the software, as a recent rendering worked, but after I went
> back to it and re-rendered without changing anything a lot of objects
> did not appear. Using the starfield option I can see plenty of stars
> but nothing covering them up when it should have. The version of the
> software is 1.1.
>
> Can anybody help, or am I up the proverbial creek without a paddle?

Well, I'm certainly not the person to ask when it comes to Imagine
bugs because I have yet to see any flagrant ones in 1.1.  However,
what you describe may have to do with your object sizes vs your world
size.  Try changing the SIZE parameter in the SCENE's ACTION editor
under the GLOBAL actor.  Actually, that is the size "channel".
Change it to something like 4kx4kx4k and re-render.

Anybody else have some suggestions?

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

johnh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (John J Humpal) (06/11/91)

In article <LL9435w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:
>Mark.Stuart@actrix.gen.nz (Mark Stuart) writes:
>
>> [...stuff deleted about trouble rendering in Trace but not in Scanline
>
>what you describe may have to do with your object sizes vs your world
>size.

	Yes, changing the world size will fix the problem.

>Change it to something like 4kx4kx4k and re-render.
>Anybody else have some suggestions?

	I have a suggestion.  Don't change world size arbitrarily!
Make it as small as possible and still be able to contain all of your
objects.  Increasing world size --> dramatically increases trace time.

John J. Humpal -- johnh@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu -- short .sig, std. disclaimer