[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] *Large* fonts needed.

michael9@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Michael Sullivan) (06/05/91)

  I am in need of some rather large fonts for use in desktop publishing.  That
means that I can't just take a small font and enlarge it, as that produces the
shaggies.

  Any suggestions as to where I might find some big fonts.  BTW, by big I mean
an inch to two inches high ( 100 - 200 points?).

Suggestions welcomed!

--
|uunet!garfield!michael9|'"Proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing,"|
|michael9@odie.cs.mun.ca| says God.  "But you have given us proof," says      |

wbrand@krishna.shearson.com (Willy Brandsdorfer) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.022608.14245@garfield.cs.mun.ca> michael9@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Michael Sullivan) writes:

>     I am in need of some rather large fonts for use in desktop publishing.  That
>   means that I can't just take a small font and enlarge it, as that produces the
   shaggies.

>     Any suggestions as to where I might find some big fonts.  BTW, by big I mean
>   an inch to two inches high ( 100 - 200 points?).

>   Suggestions welcomed!

Look for a font called Texas (~104 pts). I bought it from a pd distributer
compusomethingorother. Part of a 2 set video font collection.

William Brandsdorfer            | UUCP:    !uunet!shearson.com!wbrand
Lehman Brothers                 | ARPA:    wbrand@shearson.com
388 Greenwich St.               | Voice:   (212) 464-3835
New York, N.Y. 10013

med@druco.ATT.COM (Myron E. Drapal) (06/08/91)

in article <1991Jun5.022608.14245@garfield.cs.mun.ca>, michael9@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Michael Sullivan) says:

>   Any suggestions as to where I might find some big fonts.  BTW, by big I mean
> an inch to two inches high ( 100 - 200 points?).

This may or may not help.... But, when I needed some large fonts for
some video work I was doing, I used a MAC to generate the text I needed.
The MAC desktop publishing program I used could even save to Amiga ILBM
files, then used Apple File Exchange to get it to a MessyDos disk, and
Voila...  Note that this was for text used on a video screen, but I
bet some wizard out there could figure out how to do the general case
so that they could be used as standard Amiga fonts.

						Myron Drapal
						AT&T Denver
						med@druco.ATT.COM

eoo@let.rug.nl (Eize Oosting) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun5.022608.14245@garfield.cs.mun.ca> michael9@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Michael Sullivan) writes:

>  I am in need of some rather large fonts for use in desktop publishing.  That
>means that I can't just take a small font and enlarge it, as that produces the
>shaggies.
>
>  Any suggestions as to where I might find some big fonts.  BTW, by big I mean
>an inch to two inches high ( 100 - 200 points?).
>
>Suggestions welcomed!

The only two fonts I have, which come close, are

   Coop    -   88
   cSwiss  -  102

I think they came from a disk with vDraw on it. Wait a second, I'll check....
Nop, they are on the Tv*Text disk (among lots of other fonts, but not that
big).

I haven't found any other big fonts however.

  /\__________/\   /\___________________________________________________/\
 /              \ /                                                       \
|   Letteren-    |  Marvin Minsky once defined Artificial Intelligence as: |
|   Faculteit    |   '... the science of making machines do things that    |
| R.U. Groningen |   would require intelligence if done by men'.           |
| The Netherlands|                                                         |
|                |  Does this include adding a device to the Mountlist?    |
| eoo@let.rug.nl |                                           Eize Oosting  |
 \  __________  / \  ___________________________________________________  /
  \/          \/   \/                                                   \/

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (06/10/91)

>In article <1738@gufalet.let.rug.nl> eoo@let.rug.nl (Eize Oosting) writes:
>In article <1991Jun5.022608.14245@garfield.cs.mun.ca> michael9@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Michael Sullivan) writes:
>>
>>  I am in need of some rather large fonts for use in desktop publishing.  That
>>means that I can't just take a small font and enlarge it, as that produces the
>>shaggies.
>>
>>  Any suggestions as to where I might find some big fonts.  BTW, by big I mean
>>an inch to two inches high ( 100 - 200 points?).
>>
>>Suggestions welcomed!
>>

>The only two fonts I have, which come close, are
>
>   Coop    -   88
>   cSwiss  -  102
>
>I think they came from a disk with vDraw on it. Wait a second, I'll check....
>Nop, they are on the Tv*Text disk (among lots of other fonts, but not that
>big).
>
>I haven't found any other big fonts however.

You're right.  The complete set of fonts is available on a set of four
disks called "Zuma Fonts" published by Zuma Group (the makers of
TV*Text).  I don't know exactly of they're still selling the fonts;
got my copy surely two or more years ago!

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then,
 is a good thing..." Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Robin_Ritchey@mindlink.bc.ca (Robin Ritchey) (06/11/91)

Michael,
        The best way to do this is to purchase a set of fonts from Gold Disk.
They are compugraphic fonts. They come with a program called CreateFont, this
program will make a font for you to any size you want, in several formats. The
formats are Amiga fonts, PDraw Fonts, Postscript fonts. I do not see where
there is any limit to the size. I cannot see any in the docs. The screen
resolutions that it can produce out to are Low Res, Med Res, Interlace, and
High Res.
        I have used them in ProDraw and DPIII myself. I also use them in
ProPage alot! I have not gone hight that a 90 point font in DPaintIII
personally but I am sure it can be done.

Robin Ritchey - a46@mindlink.UUCP  aka  YellowQuill Layout and Design
                                        14331 - 100 Ave., Surrey, B.C.
                                        V3T 4Z2    Ph. (604) 585-0244