[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DCTV @ 7MHz?

webbs@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Steven Lee Webb) (06/10/91)

Hello.

I know that everyone is tired of reading reviews of DCTV, but could someone
please tell me how DCTV runs at 7MHz?  I am almost ready to buy one, but I'm
wondering if I'm going to have to wait an hour for results.  I've never seen
DCTV run at slower than 25MHz, so perhaps a Stock 500 would be slower than
a snail crawling across fly-paper!

I'd like times for reading a raw, hi-res 24-bit pic from HD.
cutting out & resizing a brush.

ADVthanksANCE!

Only  ///|Steven Webb      +---------------------------------------+  /\__Luxo|
Amiga/// |CSU - Comp. Sci. |  11-XAV a edisni deppart ma I !pleH   |  \\ /\ Jr|
 \\\///  |Amiga 500-5M Ram |     webbs@handel.cs.colostate.edu     |  /|/\ _  |
  \XX/   |50M Hard Drive   +---------------------------------------+ // \ (_) |

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (06/12/91)

In article <15408@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> webbs@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Steven Lee Webb) writes:
>Hello.
>
>I know that everyone is tired of reading reviews of DCTV, but could someone
>please tell me how DCTV runs at 7MHz?  I am almost ready to buy one, but I'm
>wondering if I'm going to have to wait an hour for results.  I've never seen
>DCTV run at slower than 25MHz, so perhaps a Stock 500 would be slower than
>a snail crawling across fly-paper!
>
>I'd like times for reading a raw, hi-res 24-bit pic from HD.
>cutting out & resizing a brush.

I found the performance on my unaccelerated A2000 to be acceptable. It is not
as good as an accelerated A2000 or an A3000, but it was okay. I read in DCTV
images in about 30 secs to 1 minute. It took a little while for it to set up
the image. There were some image processing things going on. In DCPaint, most
things happened in a reasonable time. The airbrush was a little slow,
especially if you chose a large brush and made it very transparent. But, I was
able to get used to it and it didn't bother me too much after a while. One
reason I did get an A3000  was to get better response on the brushes. You will
need at least 3 megs. I know it will run on less, but it will limit you a lot
to use less than 3 megs. I bought DCTV based on what I saw in performance on
a stock A2000. Since I bought it, I was disappointed that the stencil was only
1 bit, on or off. I hope this improves on the next release of the software.

neil

--
Only 3126 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu