[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] DPaint IV

amuser@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Bill Sharp-Smith AUG) (06/10/91)

A couple of months ago, Professional Amiga User (an Aussie mag) printed some
info on DPaint IV which it said would be out around the middle of this year.
I'm surprised  1. To hear of it first in an Aussie mag
               2. That I have not heard of it on  the 'Net yet.

Does anybody know anything ? The mag mentions the following features :

		* Morphing between brushes (Yeah !)
		* HAM, productivity mode support
		* Better gradients
		* other stuff I can't remember, but can find out.

Amiga Users Group of Western Australia.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (06/10/91)

amuser@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Bill Sharp-Smith AUG) writes:

> A couple of months ago, Professional Amiga User (an Aussie mag) printed some
> info on DPaint IV which it said would be out around the middle of this year.
> I'm surprised  1. To hear of it first in an Aussie mag
>                2. That I have not heard of it on  the 'Net yet.
>
> Does anybody know anything ? The mag mentions the following features :
>
> 		* Morphing between brushes (Yeah !)
> 		* HAM, productivity mode support
> 		* Better gradients
> 		* other stuff I can't remember, but can find out.

There was a short blurb in AmigaWorld about it as well.  Not much
else to say about it yet because I don't have any info.  The
AmigaWorld article shows a screenshot and a new "color mixer" where
you can mix your paint colors to make another color.  Other features
seem to be a "lightbox" which is much like Disney's Onion Skin where
you can see the preceeding or following frame of your animation while
working on the current frame.  Also is a new 3-D look and some other
features.  Doesn't seem to be anything ground-breaking however.  I
guess we will have to wait and see.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (06/11/91)

From article <XmZB41w164w@graphics.rent.com>, by bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm):

> There was a short blurb in AmigaWorld about it as well.  Not much
> else to say about it yet because I don't have any info.  The
> AmigaWorld article shows a screenshot and a new "color mixer" where
> you can mix your paint colors to make another color.  Other features
> seem to be a "lightbox" which is much like Disney's Onion Skin where
> you can see the preceeding or following frame of your animation while
> working on the current frame.  Also is a new 3-D look and some other
> features.  Doesn't seem to be anything ground-breaking however.  I
> guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm shocked at the amiga community's illiteracy.  :)

Doesn't ANYONE read .INFO anymore????????

June 1991 .INFO magazine.

Preview: Deluxe Paint IV (beta)

	* menus & requesters now have grayscale shading and 3d buttons.
	* 5 new Gradient fills available
	* load/save requesters revamped
	* ability to define stencils by painting an area
	* set stencil colors by setting a "tolerance"
	* Gradient requestor for color ranges and spreads
	* A new "Translucency" effect
	* colors moved to a menu of its own
	* color palette requester added
	* Colors can now be mixed to create new colors
	* Palettes of up to 256 colors can now be saved and loaded
	* Ham paint mode added, modeled after the 256 color mode on IBM
	* Ham mode gives you a palette of 256 colors to work with
	* Ability to store and use an alternate brush, and swap between
	* Metamorph function creates an animbrush given # of frames
	* Metamorph will morph colors
	* "LightBox" mode for use with animation:
		- Display next and/or previous frame simultaneously
		- Controlled by a new animation control panel, giving
			a) control over LightBox functions
			b) VCR-like controls for animation playback

---->	Available:  August 2nd, 1991	<----

Greg
--
All opinions are my own, and not those of my employer.
Why?  He doesn't know I'm doing this.

psygtex@clan.nott.ac.uk (T.Emanuel) (06/11/91)

In article <amuser.676539660@cutmcvax> amuser@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Bill Sharp-Smith AUG) writes:
>A couple of months ago, Professional Amiga User (an Aussie mag) printed some
>info on DPaint IV which it said would be out around the middle of this year.
>I'm surprised  1. To hear of it first in an Aussie mag
>               2. That I have not heard of it on  the 'Net yet.
>
>Does anybody know anything ? The mag mentions the following features :
>
>		* Morphing between brushes (Yeah !)
>		* HAM, productivity mode support
>		* Better gradients
>		* other stuff I can't remember, but can find out.
>

>Amiga Users Group of Western Australia.

In Britain,Commodore User magazine had a large feature on DPaint IV.The morph
mode sounds good,they said in the article that you can start with one brush,
take another,specify a number of animation frames and the program will fill in
the gaps for you,no doubt taking its time.Full HAM mode support is also
promised,including HAMINATION,an extension of the current DPaint III animation
facilities to HAM mode.There is an increased range of colour range operations,
the range feature being given a whole menu to itself.

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (06/13/91)

In article <XmZB41w164w@graphics.rent.com> bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

>features.  Doesn't seem to be anything ground-breaking however.  I
>guess we will have to wait and see.
>
>-- Bob

At this point it does not have to be ground breaking, just better. For me the
exciting possiblity if some kind of antialiased lines with DPaint functionality
is pretty exciting. I hope this will improve thier airbrush. The lack of anti-
aliased lines is the only thing that disappoints me about both DPaintIII and
The Animation Studio. It is hard to make something look finished when it is
full of jaggy lines. My effort in DCTV at smoothing jaggies has been rather
fruitless. Anyone have any success in this area? I wonder how their fills
will be affected by HAM. Oh, well just gotta wait.

neil

--
Only 3125 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu