[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] need 24bit->8bit quantizer with "locked" colormap/pallete

Scott_Busse@mindlink.bc.ca (Scott Busse) (06/06/91)

Mark, I do conversions from Imagine's 24 bit output to PCX format (256 colors
at 640x480 all the time and get great results. The palette lock is easy to
implement too. I don't know about any problems to GIF though, as I've never
tried it.
--
* Scott Busse email:           O    O   O_     _      ___ .....
* CIS 73040,2114              |||  /|\  /\   O/\_     /         O    )=|

mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (06/07/91)

I am working on a demo of X11 image load speed on a system at work and I
need to do the appropriate conversion to get a LightWave generated
animation into an 8bit pseudo color format with a constant color pallete.
Does anybody know of a method to quantize a series of 24bit images to
8bits using the same colormap for all the images in the sequence (based
on maybe the first image or whatever)? I need to do this on a unix/X based
workstation or an Amiga. I had hoped xv or the pbmplus tools had this
capability but they don't appear to as far as I can tell. A friend of mine
who owns ADPro claims that it can do this, but the GIFs I have seen ADPro
create look terrible compared to the ones I have converted using the PD X11
program xv. Is it possible he did his conversions improperly. He said he
selected a pallete of 256 colors. Anyway, the 8bit output format doesn't
matter provided it is color and I can use pbmplus to convert it to binary
ppm format. The input 24bit format can either be Amiga IFF24, ppm binary,
or raw RGB. I'll probably end up writing my own code to do this but I thought
I'd check first.

Thanks for any pointers or help.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

jc@crosfield.co.uk (jerry cullingford) (06/07/91)

In article <62130@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
> A friend of mine
>who owns ADPro claims that it can do this, but the GIFs I have seen ADPro
>create look terrible compared to the ones I have converted using the PD X11
>program xv. Is it possible he did his conversions improperly. He said he
>selected a pallete of 256 colors.
>Thanks for any pointers or help.

ADPro should be able to do it - I'm fairly sure you can lock the palette
(I'd have to check, and my amiga's at home). Anyway, ADPro will handle a
256 colour palette. There are several options that could affect the
appearance of a gif generated by it:

	Palette mode - select "enhanced"; "normal" restricts you (I think)
			amiga 4096 colour resolution, "enhanced" allows more
			precise colour resolution (for VGA etc) and works with
			amiga modes too, but takes longer for no (amiga)
			benefit?
			(You may need to alter the WB info stuff to enable
			 enhanced mode)
			using "normal" means that you aren't picking your 256
			colours from the full range available.

	Dither mode - Adpro has around seven or eight dither options
			(including "none").

	Balancing options - brightness, gamma, contrast, etc

	Image operations - dynamic range adjust, & lots more

and last but not least - What was the source image? if you make a gif from
a normal amiga image, you won't get any more colours, since the info isn't
there to start with.

I've been using ADPro with a sharp JX-100 scanner, and the amiga mode images
that result are the best I've ever seen. I've only just got hold of a (PC SVGA)
GIF viewer that works at > 320x200x256, so I haven't tried high resolution GIFs
yet; 320x200x256 looked OK but not as nice (not surprisingly) as 320x512 HAM
on the amiga, but that's probably mostly down to the resolution difference.

And you can drive ADPro from AREXX.

If you want to do image conversions on an amiga, you NEED ADPro..
when I first saw it, I thought "so what?". Now that I need to convert things
(in my case, 24 (well 18 actually) bit images) I'd hate to be without it.
Go out and buy a copy now!

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+     |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ \___/

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+     |

wbrand@krishna.shearson.com (Willy Brandsdorfer) (06/10/91)

In article <62130@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:

>   I am working on a demo of X11 image load speed on a system at work and I
>   need to do the appropriate conversion to get a LightWave generated
>   animation into an 8bit pseudo color format with a constant color pallete.
>   Does anybody know of a method to quantize a series of 24bit images to
>   8bits using the same colormap for all the images in the sequence (based
>   on maybe the first image or whatever)? I need to do this on a unix/X based
>   workstation or an Amiga. I had hoped xv or the pbmplus tools had this
>   capability but they don't appear to as far as I can tell. A friend of mine
>   who owns ADPro claims that it can do this, but the GIFs I have seen ADPro
>   create look terrible compared to the ones I have converted using the PD X11
>   program xv. Is it possible he did his conversions improperly. He said he
>   selected a pallete of 256 colors. Anyway, the 8bit output format doesn't
>   matter provided it is color and I can use pbmplus to convert it to binary
>   ppm format. The input 24bit format can either be Amiga IFF24, ppm binary,
>   or raw RGB. I'll probably end up writing my own code to do this but I thought
>   I'd check first.

I'm just curious, once you got it to X, how would you animate it. Is there a
PD X pageflipper program?

William Brandsdorfer            | UUCP:    !uunet!shearson.com!wbrand
Lehman Brothers                 | ARPA:    wbrand@shearson.com
388 Greenwich St.               | Voice:   (212) 464-3835
New York, N.Y. 10013

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (06/11/91)

In article <62130@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>I am working on a demo of X11 image load speed on a system at work and I
>need to do the appropriate conversion to get a LightWave generated
>animation into an 8bit pseudo color format with a constant color pallete.
>Does anybody know of a method to quantize a series of 24bit images to
>8bits using the same colormap for all the images in the sequence (based
>on maybe the first image or whatever)?

ADPro will do this, quite easily in fact.

>A friend of mine
>who owns ADPro claims that it can do this, but the GIFs I have seen ADPro
>create look terrible compared to the ones I have converted using the PD X11
>program xv. Is it possible he did his conversions improperly.

It is quite likely that your friend did not make use of the enhanced palette
mode which means that the 256 color GIFs he produced had no more dynamic
range than the AMIGA can handle (12 bits). By using the enhanced palette
mode, ADPro's color picking is allowed to choose from colors which would
be indistinguishable on the AMIGA (ie: colors which vary beyond the 12
bit level). This results in a visually better image on display devices
which can handle the greater dynamic range.

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

mt87692@cc.tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (06/15/91)

> In article <62130@masscomp.westford.ccur.com> mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
> >I am working on a demo of X11 image load speed on a system at work and I
> >need to do the appropriate conversion to get a LightWave generated
> >animation into an 8bit pseudo color format with a constant color pallete.
> >Does anybody know of a method to quantize a series of 24bit images to
> >8bits using the same colormap for all the images in the sequence (based
> >on maybe the first image or whatever)?

> ADPro will do this, quite easily in fact.

And if you like using fast :) unix machines you can use fbm-picture
manipulating software. (Easy to get via ftp and compile). Program is
called fbquant (I think).
 Just my $.02.

 Mit

--