[comp.sys.amiga.graphics] TAD/ADpro information.

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (05/27/91)

I've been thinking of purchasing the Art Department, having spent a few
hours playing with the demo.  I'm VERY impressed with the look of the
program, and it's amazingly simple interface.  I've got a few questions
for people who've used it...

When I run the demo, I often get a message that I don't have enough
memory to handle the picture.  I'm trying to load a 120K gif, and I've
got 3 megs of ram on a four-year-old A500.  Is this part of the
crippled nature of the demo?  If not, has the problem been addressed in
the current release of the software?

I noticed that the demo grabs a LOT of memory when it's first run,
rather than grabbing it as-needed.  Since I have three megs, this
shouldn't be a problem, but I was wondering if the live version works
this way, or does dynamic allocation?

Does the REXX support allow access to all of the commands that are in
the Intuition interface?  Are there any commands that are available
ONLY through REXX?  (I think I might have found a reason to get more
profficient at AREXX...<grin>).

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can give me in making a
purchasing decision!  I haven't spent that much of my own money on one
software package since WordPerfect!

--
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       bleys@tronsbox.xei.com          *
 *                                                              *

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (05/27/91)

     Art Department demo?  Where might this be found?

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (05/28/91)

ADPro grabs the largest contiguous chunk of FAST memory it can find
when it runs. If that chunk is 1 meg or 453K or 8 meg or whatever
it is, ADPro will grab the whole thing.  It does not allocate memory
dymanically.  If you want to tell it, at runtime, to grab less than
your largest contiguous chunk of FAST memory available, then you can
give it a command to do so.  If, say, you had a bunch of files sitting
in RAM at the time you ran ADPro and then after running it, decided
that you needed to throw some more memory at it, deleting the files
from RAM wouldn't do it. You'd have to delete those files, quit ADPro
and run it again.  No big deal.

Yes the ARexx support allows access to all of the commands that
are in the program's interface. I don't know if there are any ARexx
only commands that can't be duplicated in the interface, but I'd
guess there are not.

By the way, if it's The Art Dept. you've been looking at, consider
that Art Dept. Professional offers a LOT more features, not to mention
Savers as well as loaders and operators.  There's just a whole lot
more to it.

cazabon@hercules (Charles Cazabon (186-003-526)) (05/28/91)

In article <1644@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>I've been thinking of purchasing the Art Department, having spent a few
>hours playing with the demo.  I'm VERY impressed with the look of the
>program, and it's amazingly simple interface.  I've got a few questions
>for people who've used it...
>
>When I run the demo, I often get a message that I don't have enough
>memory to handle the picture.  I'm trying to load a 120K gif, and I've
>got 3 megs of ram on a four-year-old A500.  Is this part of the
>crippled nature of the demo?  If not, has the problem been addressed in
>the current release of the software?

The reason that TAD or ADPro require so much memory is that when they load
in a picture, they convert it to either 24 bit colour information or 8
bit greyscale information.  Couple on top of this the fact that GIF pictures
are stored in a file with a compression scheme similar to LZH, and you get
mega-memory requirements.  For example:  a 256 colour GIF picture that
occupies 120K of disk space will, when loaded, take up (on average) 180K
of ram.  This is for 8 bit colour data, so to get 24 bit colour, triple it.
That is a hunk of contiguous memory 560K long.  Then on top of that, you have
the memory that is needed for the display (say, roughly 100K for a 320x400
HAM image), and then on top of that, the memory needed for the program itself.
I think that five megs is the minumum to use the program well.

Hope this was of help.
					-Chuck
					cazabon@hercules.uregina.ca

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (05/28/91)

In a message dated Mon 27 May 91 08:48, Bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (bill Cavana
wrote:

 BC> When I run the demo, I often get a message that I don't have enough
 BC> memory to handle the picture.  I'm trying to load a 120K gif, and
 BC> I've
 BC> got 3 megs of ram on a four-year-old A500.  Is this part of the
 BC> crippled nature of the demo?  If not, has the problem been addressed
 BC> in
 BC> the current release of the software?

What you have to understand is that Art Department (Pro or not) converts ALL
pictures loaded into a full 24 bit format. Your 120K GIF file might have been
very large - 640 * 400 or more in size) which would make for a very large 24
bit image in it's buffer.

 BC> I noticed that the demo grabs a LOT of memory when it's first run,
 BC> rather than grabbing it as-needed.  Since I have three megs, this
 BC> shouldn't be a problem, but I was wondering if the live version works
 BC> this way, or does dynamic allocation?

No, the release versions do the same thing. I have a 9 meg machine, and ADPro
grabs all of it when it is run. It just grabs everything it can gets it's
hands on right away, mainly (I think) because it does not know what you want
to do with a picture - you might want to bring in a 800 * 800 bitmap and
scale it up 200%. It has to have the largest buffer it can muster, because it
can't (very easily) dump out the existing buffer to grab a new one. It pretty
much has to do what it does.

Also, three megs is a small machine these days, especially when it comes to
messing with graphics in any kind of large colour-space. Get more RAM. Trust
me, you'll use it.

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (05/29/91)

In article <1644@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:

   Does the REXX support allow access to all of the commands that are in
   the Intuition interface?

Yes.

   Are there any commands that are available ONLY through REXX?

Yes, but they are only maintenance type thing (i.e. - to found out how
much free memory you've got, you wade through the about requester in
intuition. In Rexx, you ask.). There's nothing important hiding there.

	<mike

--
How many times do you have to fall			Mike Meyer
While people stand there gawking?			mwm@pa.dec.com

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (06/06/91)

In article <17203@chopin.udel.edu> don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

>     Art Department demo?  Where might this be found?

A demo version TAD (not ADPro) is available from your local dealer. If they
don't have it - have them contact ASDG - we'll be glad  to send it to them.
The demo version will  not save  images, and it will clip 25 percent of the
height of the image.

A demo  version ADPro is *not* forthcoming -  at  over  50  programs a demo
version would be unworkable for us.

Perry
--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

In article <473@regina.uregina.ca> cazabon@hercules.uregina.ca (Charles Cazabon (186-003-526)) writes:
>In article <1644@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:
>>I've been thinking of purchasing the Art Department, having spent a few
>>hours playing with the demo.  I'm VERY impressed with the look of the
>>program, and it's amazingly simple interface.  I've got a few questions
>>for people who've used it...

Thank you. It's been said that TAD's user interface ``hides the complexity
of the program.''  What  higher  complement can  you pay a user interface?
ADPro's UI is very similar to TAD's.

About memory usage, Chuck replies:

>The reason that TAD or ADPro require so much memory is that when they load
>in a picture, they convert it to either 24 bit colour information or 8
>bit greyscale information.  Couple on top of this the fact that GIF pictures
><and so on>

Chuck's response was dead on. Here's how to guess at TAD and ADPro's memory
requirements:

TAD:  WIDTH * HEIGHT * 3.75 (Color)
      WIDTH * HEIGHT * 1.75 (Gray)

ADPRO: WIDTH * HEIGHT * 4 (Color)
       WIDTH * HEIGHT * 2 (Gray)

All images are converted to either 8 bit-plane gray or 24 bit-plane color as
they are read in.  Additionally, we  reserve space  for the rendered data as
well (for example, this is why you multiply by 4 in ADPro (color) instead of
by 3).

ADPro uses a hair  more space  than TAD  because ADPro can render in up to 8
bit-planes where TAD  renders only up  to  6  bit-planes. Also, ADPro has an
enhanced palette mode which currently uses gobs of memory also (about 400K).
BUT! The enhanced palette mode can be  disabled so that the memory it would
have used can be used for picture data instead.

All features of the user interface in ADPro can be accessed from ARexx. TAD
does not have an ARexx interface. Yes, there are features which can only be
accessed from ARexx  in ADPro - namely those  features that make sense from
ARexx like putting up a file requester under program control, and the like.

Hope this answers  Bill's original post  and gives Chuck an ``attaboy'' for
his correct and concise explanation.

Perry

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry
	CIS:   76004,1765 PLINK: pk-asdg

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (06/11/91)

Perry,

It is cool seeing one of you guys on the net. I have a question. Can TAD or
ADPro read Wavefront format images (.rla). This would be useful to me because
then I wouldn't have to write my own. Also, I didn't notice if ADPro or TAD
could write DCTV images, although this is not as important since DCTV reads
24 bit iff files. Thanks.

neil

--
Only 3126 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu

cazabon@hercules (Charles Cazabon (186-003-526)) (06/12/91)

In article <1054@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:
:Perry,
:
:It is cool seeing one of you guys on the net. I have a question. Can TAD or
:ADPro read Wavefront format images (.rla). This would be useful to me because
:then I wouldn't have to write my own. Also, I didn't notice if ADPro or TAD
:could write DCTV images, although this is not as important since DCTV reads
:24 bit iff files. Thanks.
:
If AdPro doesn't currently support it, then send a file specification to
ASDG, makers of the Art Department and Professional.  They say they will
write one for you.  Perhaps, if it is common enough, you won't even need
to send them a specification.

They want to support EVERYTHING.

:--
:Only 3126 shopping days left till the next millenium!
:Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu
:Rhythm & Hues Inc.       UUCP: ...{ames,hplabs}!lll-tis!celia!neil)

That's my input...

--Chuck Cazabon, cazabon@hercules.cc.uregina.ca
* My Opinions Are Not My Own...Feel Free To Plagiarize

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (06/17/91)

In article <1054@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:
>I have a question. Can TAD or
>ADPro read Wavefront format images (.rla). This would be useful to me because
>then I wouldn't have to write my own. Also, I didn't notice if ADPro or TAD
>could write DCTV images, although this is not as important since DCTV reads
>24 bit iff files. Thanks.

We do not posses the specifications for .rla files. We would have a keen
interest in supporting this particular format if you could send us a
written spec and an amiga disk with sample images.

Neither TAD nor ADPro can currently write DCTV images. This will be
included, however, in the next relase of ADPro which is in planning
stages now.

pk